Carnival Liberty 11/19. We feel ripped off.

MrJimbo

I am sorry your cruise vacation will not be what you were planning and understand your disappointment. However you should know that was part of the contract you signed. It is standard for most cruise lines. Ports are never guaranteed.

I doubt Carnival will allow you full refund so at this point you can either go and try to enjoy your cruise or decide you are unhappy and be miserable.

And just FYI, Miss Liberty has been in Galveston for the last nine days for repairs. The US Coast Guard signed off on her and she sailed out tonight. She wasn't unsafe just slow. Most likely Carnival changed the schedule prior to the repair since she was having difficulty reaching top speed. Once a change is made they usually return to the original schedule.

Please try to enjoy your cruise.

According to the cruise contract they can cancel the cruise altogether and offer NO refund, wonder how many would be okay with that.

Oh well it was stated in the contract, sorry about your luck.

According to the cruise contract they can cancel the cruise altogether and offer NO refund, wonder how many would be okay with that.

I don't see anything wrong with some folks expressing their angst and frustration. Everyone's definition of fairness doesn't have to be the same.

There are so many posts here favoring Carnival. Makes you wonder.......

So,

Liberty apparently is unsafe to sail on, has changed our itinerary by dropping Falmouth and Grand Cayman, .........wow 7 day cruise to Cozumel and Costa Maya? Really, give me my money back, plus expenses, and I promise we will never book a cruise with carnival again.

Safety comes first.

I don't see anything wrong with some folks expressing their angst and frustration. Everyone's definition of fairness doesn't have to be the same.

There are so many posts here favoring Carnival. Makes you wonder.......

Expressing their angst and frustration is different than "I'm never going to cruise Carnival again" comments. I don't blame people for being frustrated, but these ships go non-stop, except for when they are in port and that is usually for about 8 hours.

Consider driving your car as much as these ships are sailing. Something will break. I don't drive my truck except for the weekends and have had to have the alternator replaced and the front end worked on and it only has 100k miles on it.

If your car breaks down while you are driving, do you say "I'm never going to drive (insert brand here) again"?

The "I'm never..." comments is what gets me.. I will now don my flame retardant suit...:eek:

We are on the 12/15 cruise out of Port Canaveral. Apparently, this will be the first one on the Liberty & they will not board the ship until 6pm. On the one hand, I'm still going on a cruise. On the other hand, this is only a 3 day, so we already don't get a long cruise, and they have just shortened it. Not to mention all the horror stories I hear about the first sailing after dry dock. I'm actually kind of ticked off and would consider cancelling, but then we'd have unused vacation days that we lose at work.

Oh, and by the way, I just love how the people telling us to quit whining, we're still on a cruise, we signed a contract, yadda yadda, are the ones who aren't affected by any of the changes.

No worries. Whine, throw a tantrum, kick and scream to your hearts content. Won't change a single thing. You can learn to live with it or not. Carnival is going to do what Carnival wants to do. It's that simple.

We feel very ripped off too being having been on the 11/26 sailing with the lame overnight in Cozumel. What a joke!

We took our refund and ran to Princess! Looking forward to trying another line in the Carnival Corporation Family!

I have spoke to the director of guest solutions regarding the port cancellation and port switch of the Nov 19 cruise. No further compensation will be given beyond the already offered $50 cruise cash. Absolute rip off!!! I will definitely not cruise with CArnival ever again.:mad:

Toodles. :)

Expressing their angst and frustration is different than "I'm never going to cruise Carnival again" comments.............

If your car breaks down while you are driving, do you say "I'm never going to drive (insert brand here) again"?

Agreed. Things happen. Machines fail. We don't control weather.

But imagine this scenario:

You make a living by dropping people off at the airport. You charge them months in advance using demand pricing. One day, you realize your car has a major mechanical issue that slows it down and your customer is an hour late. This happens a couple more times. But you do nothing.

Finally, the car slows down substantially when you are driving someone to the airport and they almost miss their flight although they paid a rush hour premium. And you say "Sorry about that. I can give you a 25% discount when you ride with me next time."

Do you expect the customer to shrug and say "Sure. Things happen."?

It really says that in the contract?:eek:

Do that once or twice and see how that erodes your customer base.

Bill

You make a living by dropping people off at the airport. You charge them months in advance using demand pricing. One day, you realize your car has a major mechanical issue that slows it down and your customer is an hour late. This happens a couple more times. But you do nothing.

Finally, the car slows down substantially when you are driving someone to the airport and they almost miss their flight although they paid a rush hour premium. And you say "Sorry about that. I can give you a 25% discount when you ride with me next time."

The point in your scenario is to contractually get your customer from point A to point B at a specified time, so it is not similar at all to the current situation.

I suppose everyone would be happy if CCL took Liberty out of service and just cancelled the cruise completely? I believe that course would lead to much more dissatisfaction. Instead they've offered reasonable compensation to those who decide to take the cruise anyway and they have offered to let those that don't want to take the modified itinerary the opportunity to cancel with a full refund (none of which they are required to do under the contract, BTW). I believe that to be fair and reasonable under the circumstances.

Pretty much every cruise line has the same clause. So where are you going to switch to?

Even if it's in the contract I just find it unfathomable that any cruise line would take your money for a cruise, then cancel said cruise for whatever reason and not give you your money back.

I guess for those that booked with credit cards they could always do a charge back with their CC companies.

Bill

Even if it's in the contract I just find it unfathomable that any cruise line would take your money for a cruise, then cancel said cruise for whatever reason and not give you your money back.

I guess for those that booked with credit cards they could always do a charge back with their CC companies.

Bill

I don't necessary disagree. That's probably why I never heard of a case where a cruise line would cancel the cruise and take your money without cause.

Bill

I don't believe the contracts are really that far reaching but it's been a while since I've read one so maybe it's changed. I know that ports of call are subject to change without notice which is of course what the issue is in this thread.

ETA: Okay, I had to look. Yes, they can cancel a cruise with or without notice but they do have to issue a refund:

Carnival has the right without previous notice to cancel this contract at the port of embarkation or any time during the voyage and shall thereupon return to the Guest, if the Contract is completely canceled, his Cruise Fare, or, if the Contract is partially canceled, a proportionate part thereof.

Edited by sparks1093

We chose to make lemonade. A week ago we talked about how nice it would be to take a short cruise right after Thanksgiving before the craziness of Christmas descends. Well the Liberty on Nov 26 was sold out.

I read John Heald's post last night and immediately e-mailed my TA. I was hoping there were some cancellations, and there were. She got us a balcony on Lido deck, at a great price. We are thrilled at the prospect of an overnight in Cozumel. We found it it humerous that people canceled because Progresso was dropped. Heck, we were just on the Liberty in late September and decided not to get off in Progresso. Dinner in Cozumel sounds great! As we debated whether or not to pull the trigger our son reminded us that we were finally retired, and always talked about going whenever we wanted. He reminded us that we should go now and enjoy while we still have our health. And the TA reminded us that if for some reason they have to cancel the sailing, we could make out very well.

Edited by DebJ14

I can understand how someone would be disappointed with the itinerary change. Sounds like you will now have 5 sea days instead of three. For someone that isn't too keen on sea days, I would not be happy. And I do see how a cruise that is 7 days long vs 4 day cruise should get more compensation for what they lost.

Thus saying, I understand that Carnival doesn't have to do anything, but it would definitely hurt their customer base if they changed cruises frequently without any compensation.

I'm not sure what I would do if I were on this cruise. I think it would depend on what other vacation I could put together on short notice. Five sea days would really drive me crazy.:eek:

Carnival maintenance. You knew what he meant. SMH.

Not my job to translate what "someone meant" from what "someone typed". Type what you mean and mean what you type. Doesn't get any easier than that.

Not to mention, I have never had any issues with Carnival maintenance so I even disagree with that assessment as well.

Edited by Computer Nerd

Maybe the customer will, maybe they won't. They still made it to the airport so why do they expect a refund? If the customer was unhappy with the service they can find a different ride to the airport next time just as a cruiser can do.