Carnival Liberty 11/19. We feel ripped off.

MrJimbo

New ships are made to exceed 30 knots. Much older ships, including the first one I was ever on had a cruising speed of 21 knots. I'm pretty sure 14 knots by current cruise ship standards is slow.

About the only ship designed to exceed 30 knots is the QM2, yet Cunard has slowed the crossings from 5 nights to 7, reducing the speed required to below 20 knots. Nearly all cruise ships today have a maximum speed of 22-23 knots. However, virtually none of them actually go this fast, and when they do it is only for short periods of time, in order to make a specific itinerary time. Many, many cruise ships these days spend their entire cruise at no more than 14-16 knots, due to fuel consumption considerations. Having the ability to go a certain speed, and having the need to go that speed is two totally different things.

So bummed. My husband and I decided to go ahead and cancel our trip. Not happy, but decided that was best for us. Now I find out that the $400 travel protection through priceline will not be refunded. I know you only have 10 days after you purchase to get refunded, but you'd think they'd make an exception. Lesson learned:(

It's how business is run.

About the only ship designed to exceed 30 knots is the QM2, yet Cunard has slowed the crossings from 5 nights to 7, reducing the speed required to below 20 knots. Nearly all cruise ships today have a maximum speed of 22-23 knots. However, virtually none of them actually go this fast, and when they do it is only for short periods of time, in order to make a specific itinerary time. Many, many cruise ships these days spend their entire cruise at no more than 14-16 knots, due to fuel consumption considerations. Having the ability to go a certain speed, and having the need to go that speed is two totally different things.

The quoted poster rarely deals with facts, but that is another story. I read somewhere on here that the props (when cruising) spin the same rate but the angle determines the speed. Sounded far fetched at the time, but have no idea. Any semblance of truth to that?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The quoted poster rarely deals with facts, but that is another story. I read somewhere on here that the props (when cruising) spin the same rate but the angle determines the speed. Sounded far fetched at the time, but have no idea. Any semblance of truth to that?

That depends. Azipods are fixed pitch propellers, so they vary the rpm of the propeller to vary the speed. On the shafted propeller ships, the propellers are mainly variable pitch, which means the angle of the propeller changes, much like an airplane propeller on a turboprop engine. A ship's variable pitch propeller can be either fixed rpm or variable rpm. Most cruise ships are both variable pitch and variable rpm. Depending on where you are operating in the horsepower curve for the ship, changing the throttle position to change speed may only change pitch, or it may change both rpm and pitch, or it may change only rpm.

Propeller pitch is essentially the same thing as the pitch of a thread on a screw. Screw pitch is how far the screw goes into the wood for one full turn, and this is dependent on the distance between two threads on the screw. Propeller pitch is the same; it is how far the ship moves for one revolution of the propeller. A variable pitch propeller will always be turning, but the pitch can be reduced to zero (giving the ship no motion) or even going to reverse pitch which will move the ship astern even though the propeller is turning the same direction.

Nearly all cruise ships today have a maximum speed of 22-23 knots. However, virtually none of them actually go this fast, and when they do it is only for short periods of time, in order to make a specific itinerary time. Many, many cruise ships these days spend their entire cruise at no more than 14-16 knots, due to fuel consumption considerations. Having the ability to go a certain speed, and having the need to go that speed is two totally different things.
We had one cruise where we sailed at 21-22 knots - Carnival Glory in 2010, when we were sailing to Saint John Canada ahead of Hurricane Earl. Lots of pitching. A consideration with cruise ships is passenger comfort. Most folks don't want to sail in the "seagoing gymnasium.":p Most of the time we've never exceeded 18 knots.

Oldest son the Navy officer posted a FB video from the bridge of his patrol craft doing 25 knots in the Arabian Sea, trying to stay ahead of foul weather. He said the brand new Weapons Officer turned green.

That depends. Azipods are fixed pitch propellers, so they vary the rpm of the propeller to vary the speed. On the shafted propeller ships, the propellers are mainly variable pitch, which means the angle of the propeller changes, much like an airplane propeller on a turboprop engine. A ship's variable pitch propeller can be either fixed rpm or variable rpm. Most cruise ships are both variable pitch and variable rpm. Depending on where you are operating in the horsepower curve for the ship, changing the throttle position to change speed may only change pitch, or it may change both rpm and pitch, or it may change only rpm.

Propeller pitch is essentially the same thing as the pitch of a thread on a screw. Screw pitch is how far the screw goes into the wood for one full turn, and this is dependent on the distance between two threads on the screw. Propeller pitch is the same; it is how far the ship moves for one revolution of the propeller. A variable pitch propeller will always be turning, but the pitch can be reduced to zero (giving the ship no motion) or even going to reverse pitch which will move the ship astern even though the propeller is turning the same direction.

Thanks

Thank you for a great explanation on how it all works.

As always, another lesson learned. Thanks.

Still can't see the excursions for this itinerary!! :mad: Although we are now leaning towards going (more my wife than I) this is making it tough to do with the deadline to cancel looming.

No one seems to know when they will be up and I do not want to try and book an excursion onboard with thousands of others trying to do the same thing. We are kind of limited to what we can do as my wife is dealing with some minor medical issues that exclude certain types of excursions. And, looking that the Costa Maya excursions (exploring ports on the website) they don't have as many as the original ports that were scheduled. I really hope this fix this overnight so we can make our final determination with all things available to us.

When you consider that they do not have to offer anything at all yes, their offer is fair. You yourself say the 25% is fair, you just have an issue with how it's paid out. That some people will not use the offer is irrelevant, it's there for them to use. I do know that if I were booked on one of these cruises that I would still go and have a great time regardless of the changes and enjoy the offer that CCL made. I hope that they come out with the info you need prior to the 15th to allow you to make a more informed decision about whether to go or not.

But the Key here is Your not on those Cruises, so who gives you the right to say what is fair and what's not? Stop being such a Cheerleader.

Michael

But the Key here is Your not on those Cruises, so who gives you the right to say what is fair and what's not? Stop being such a Cheerleader.

Michael

Stop trying to be insulting, I find people that use that term for someone else to be quite funny. I have as much right to determine what is fair as anyone else and I can easily put myself in the shoes of those being impacted, sans seething emotions. Since this is an open discussion forum I also have the right to express myself. If I thought CCL was doing something wrong I'd be just as vocal.

Still can't see the excursions for this itinerary!! :mad: Although we are now leaning towards going (more my wife than I) this is making it tough to do with the deadline to cancel looming.

No one seems to know when they will be up and I do not want to try and book an excursion onboard with thousands of others trying to do the same thing. We are kind of limited to what we can do as my wife is dealing with some minor medical issues that exclude certain types of excursions. And, looking that the Costa Maya excursions (exploring ports on the website) they don't have as many as the original ports that were scheduled. I really hope this fix this overnight so we can make our final determination with all things available to us.

Be patient. They said all would be transferred by the end of the month. Give it a week or 2.... no worries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be patient. They said all would be transferred by the end of the month. Give it a week or 2.... no worries!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, in less then 5 days, we will be onboard, so I don't think that would work! :p

Besides, I finally got an answer of sorts from the Carnival rep. on their Facebook page. Now, it's nice that all that "all" excursions will be available (whatever that means) but who is going to willingly wait in that crazy line to book them?? You can bet they won't be adding extra staff to handle the demand.

Their communication for this has been handled quite poorly. How many of the other nearly 3000 passengers even know about going to the Facebook page for answers, or this forum?

fb89725f-4769-44b6-80a3-b0df3d4964ab.jpg

Edited by tweak89

Well, in less then 5 days, we will be onboard, so I don't think that would work! :p

Besides, I finally got an answer of sorts from the Carnival rep. on their Facebook page. Now, it's nice that all that "all" excursions will be available (whatever that means) but who is going to willingly wait in that crazy line to book them?? You can bet they won't be adding extra staff to handle the demand.

Their communication for this has been handled quite poorly. How many of the other nearly 3000 passengers even know about going to the Facebook page for answers, or this forum?

fb89725f-4769-44b6-80a3-b0df3d4964ab.jpg

Your right about that line being crazy ,but they do stand in it ;)

Michael

I am not on any of those cruises, so according to you I may not comment what is fair or not. But wait, I am not a Cheerleader, so maybe I would not get a reprimand from you if I did comment...

What would be some good options for a group of 9 at night in cozumel? It will be four adults and five teenagers.

If your tastes run to more traditional Mexican then I would recommend El Moro. It's waaaaay back inland but a taxi van might be able to get everyone there in one vehicle.

Another nice place with good food is Casa Mission. You'd need a taxi van here too but the building and grounds are beautiful.

If Italian is more your style, we like Guido's and Rolandi's. A little more expensive but well worth it. Rolandi's has tables right near the water and makes for the most beautiful of settings!

If you're in port on a Friday or Saturday and don't mind more expense, I've heard Bucanno's At Night is beautiful as well but we've never been there...yet.

As a member of the Air Force, it is my job to be "jokingly" disrespectful of the Army, Navy, and Marines. :D

I always thought inter-branch hazing was expected..

Raised Air Force, served Army.. my dad passed when I was in high school.. when my mother pinned my 2LT bars, she said my dad was probably rolling over in his grave, as she cried about him not being there..

Just like police officers joke about fire fighters and vice versa..

We joke, but we are one family..

I am not on any of those cruises, so according to you I may not comment what is fair or not. But wait, I am not a Cheerleader, so maybe I would not get a reprimand from you if I did comment...

....and all this time I always thought you were a cheerleader in hiding.

Raised Air Force, served Army.. my dad passed when I was in high school.. when my mother pinned my 2LT bars, she said my dad was probably rolling over in his grave, as she cried about him not being there..

Expected and encouraged, sir.

As you said, anyone who ever served honorably is my brother and sister. And just like family, when we're not fighting with each other we fight for each other.

We were due to go out on the Liberty on the 26th.....however we opted to cancel our cruise and get the full refund. (However we always take out cruise insurance too, and apparently THAT is "non refundable" :-() At any rate, I kept thinking back to several yeas ago, when we got almost the exact same email about another ship--"going slow, have to miss a port, propulsion problems but everything else working normally, etc etc". Well the drawback is, we didn't get that email til late the night before the cruise, and I didn't even see it til the day OF the cruise. My husband wanted to cancel t.h.e.n, because he said "the propulsion system is what runs the ship....if it quits, you're stuck out in the middle of the ocean!" But, I told him I WASN'T gonna miss that cruise (we were also going with another couple), and that "plus, they wouldn't send it out if it was dangerous!" Well our cruise went OK, but 8 days after we disembarked back in Galveston, the Triumph was out stuck dead in the water--and it could have been US out there, as my husband was right after all!! I'm disappointed that we cancelled, for sure--but we were lucky in dodging the bullet once, I wasn't gonna take a chance on #2!! We'll rebook something later..

Stop trying to be insulting, I find people that use that term for someone else to be quite funny. I have as much right to determine what is fair as anyone else and I can easily put myself in the shoes of those being impacted, sans seething emotions. Since this is an open discussion forum I also have the right to express myself. If I thought CCL was doing something wrong I'd be just as vocal.

You know the Cheerleading thing was not ment to be insulting, I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way. I owe you a Beer Navy!!!

"Do you know Why God Created Police Officers?

Because Firemen need a Hero Too!!!:D

Michael

You know the Cheerleading thing was not ment to be insulting, I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way. I owe you a Beer Navy!!!

No worries at all, I just see too many people using that term in an insulting way (or at least trying to, as I said I find it funny). We can swap beers and stories but you don't owe me one:). (My youngest just posted to Ft Gordon as his first assignment. This old sea dog is over the shock;).)

We were due to go out on the Liberty on the 26th.....however we opted to cancel our cruise and get the full refund. (However we always take out cruise insurance too, and apparently THAT is "non refundable" :-() At any rate, I kept thinking back to several yeas ago, when we got almost the exact same email about another ship--"going slow, have to miss a port, propulsion problems but everything else working normally, etc etc". Well the drawback is, we didn't get that email til late the night before the cruise, and I didn't even see it til the day OF the cruise. My husband wanted to cancel t.h.e.n, because he said "the propulsion system is what runs the ship....if it quits, you're stuck out in the middle of the ocean!" But, I told him I WASN'T gonna miss that cruise (we were also going with another couple), and that "plus, they wouldn't send it out if it was dangerous!" Well our cruise went OK, but 8 days after we disembarked back in Galveston, the Triumph was out stuck dead in the water--and it could have been US out there, as my husband was right after all!! I'm disappointed that we cancelled, for sure--but we were lucky in dodging the bullet once, I wasn't gonna take a chance on #2!! We'll rebook something later..

Yes, insurance is not refundable. I can't ask for a refund of my home owner's insurance because my house didn't burn down last year.:)

I didn't know about any of the Liberty issues until last night.......after Carnival had called my friend and basically offered his family a free cruise...so we are paying and then splitting the difference. Basically 1/2 price cruise for all of us. Does 2 ports of call bother us, nope. Booking a cruise on three days notice doesn't give you time for "what if's". The only thing concerning me now is that Invest 90L that's sitting off the coast of Panama and is projected to be a tropical depression by this weekend. Hopefully the jet stream will break it up or keep it far enough south to not be an issue. Cruises are what you make of it, relax and enjoy the ride....

Sent from my iPhone using Forums