Carnival Liberty 11/19. We feel ripped off.

MrJimbo

I am choosing to still go. I realize things happen and will make the best of it. I do not however feel the compensation is satisfactory. We will miss lunch and dinner the first day and half day of the 7 day cruise. We also lose one port completely and lost two ports of call that normally call for higher booking rates. I just don't feel 50.00 is appropriate after seeing a 4-5 day cruise get same w less loss. In the end I'm ready to go.

I am choosing to still go. I realize things happen and will make the best of it. I do not however feel the compensation is satisfactory. We will miss lunch and dinner the first day and half day of the 7 day cruise. We also lose one port completely and lost two ports of call that normally call for higher booking rates. I just don't feel 50.00 is appropriate after seeing a 4-5 day cruise get same w less loss. In the end I'm ready to go.

Enjoy your cruise

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Instead they've offered reasonable compensation to those who decide to take the cruise anyway and they have offered to let those that don't want to take the modified itinerary the opportunity to cancel with a full refund (none of which they are required to do under the contract, BTW). I believe that to be fair and reasonable under the circumstances.

I will likely be taking the refund, and I'm certainly glad they have extended that offer, but to call their compensation "fair" for those that choose to cruise is stretching it IMO.

A seven day cruise with 3 ports is reduced to 2 ports (whether someone thinks the original port are good or not is irrelevant as the original itinerary is what appealed to that customer in the first place) and now leaving at 9pm. I think compensation should scale with the length of cruise. While I think the 25% off is fair, how many will realistically cash that in (kind of like that rebate that got you to buy that awesome new washer/dryer that never gets sent in). I think scaling the onboard credit commensurate with the length of the cruise would be a more "fair" way to do it. I mean c'mon, that credits "worth" is pennies on the dollar and they know it and I'm going to hazard a guess that 90% of those credits will go to drinks :eek:

While I would love to go on the cruise like we planned, this is not the cruise I paid for. While I understand that the changes to all the remaining itineraries is a big job the cause is of their own doing. As of a few minutes ago I still can't see any shore excursions or see if the one I had already booked for Cozumel will be transferred to the new port day. The deadline to cancel for a full refund is the 15th. I refuse to sail "blind" not knowing anything about what will actually be available to me at the ports. It really is a bummer because even if we end up going, there will be that little disappointment that this wasn't what we had hoped. But, I guess $50 worth of drinks with fruit and umbrellas will make it better ;)

I will likely be taking the refund, and I'm certainly glad they have extended that offer, but to call their compensation "fair" for those that choose to cruise is stretching it IMO.

A seven day cruise with 3 ports is reduced to 2 ports (whether someone thinks the original port are good or not is irrelevant as the original itinerary is what appealed to that customer in the first place) and now leaving at 9pm. I think compensation should scale with the length of cruise. While I think the 25% off is fair, how many will realistically cash that in (kind of like that rebate that got you to buy that awesome new washer/dryer that never gets sent in). I think scaling the onboard credit commensurate with the length of the cruise would be a more "fair" way to do it. I mean c'mon, that credits "worth" is pennies on the dollar and they know it and I'm going to hazard a guess that 90% of those credits will go to drinks :eek:

While I would love to go on the cruise like we planned, this is not the cruise I paid for. While I understand that the changes to all the remaining itineraries is a big job the cause is of their own doing. As of a few minutes ago I still can't see any shore excursions or see if the one I had already booked for Cozumel will be transferred to the new port day. The deadline to cancel for a full refund is the 15th. I refuse to sail "blind" not knowing anything about what will actually be available to me at the ports. It really is a bummer because even if we end up going, there will be that little disappointment that this wasn't what we had hoped. But, I guess $50 worth of drinks with fruit and umbrellas will make it better ;)

When you consider that they do not have to offer anything at all yes, their offer is fair. You yourself say the 25% is fair, you just have an issue with how it's paid out. That some people will not use the offer is irrelevant, it's there for them to use. I do know that if I were booked on one of these cruises that I would still go and have a great time regardless of the changes and enjoy the offer that CCL made. I hope that they come out with the info you need prior to the 15th to allow you to make a more informed decision about whether to go or not.

Maybe the customer will, maybe they won't. They still made it to the airport so why do they expect a refund? If the customer was unhappy with the service they can find a different ride to the airport next time just as a cruiser can do.

Fair enough. But according to many posts here, the customer is not supposed to feel unhappy or complain about the stressful situation because the driver was completely blame-free even if it was his decision to put the repairs off.

Fair enough. But according to many posts here, the customer is not supposed to feel unhappy or complain about the stressful situation because the driver was completely blame-free even if it was his decision to put the repairs off.

Grant me the patience to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

In this situation, the customer needs to have the wisdom to know that in the short term, they need to find the patience to accept that which they cannot change. Griping about it here is not going to help a thing; their energy would be much better spent either making a positive situation for their vacation, or else making alternative arrangements. And if they are not happy with the way circumstances were handled, then complain to the source - write Carnival - or have the courage to go to another cruise line if they feel they will be treated better.

The more I read these board, the more and more I realize life is about attitude, and I think a lot of people get frustrated listening to the complaining. But rather than complaining about the complainers, they have the courage to say to people "i understand you are upset but you need to accept and adjust" ie put on your big kid underpants...:D

When you consider that they do not have to offer anything at all yes, their offer is fair. You yourself say the 25% is fair, you just have an issue with how it's paid out. That some people will not use the offer is irrelevant, it's there for them to use. I do know that if I were booked on one of these cruises that I would still go and have a great time regardless of the changes and enjoy the offer that CCL made. I hope that they come out with the info you need prior to the 15th to allow you to make a more informed decision about whether to go or not.

Actually, my issue was with the onboard credits and how that value should be weighed in relation to cruise length, not the amount of the future cruise discount.

I do think, however, that the number of people who would actually use their future cruise discount is relevant in relation to the real "cost" of this compensation and how some here view that CCL is going out of their way to offer compensation when none is guaranteed. On the surface it's nice of them to offer these things, but in the end, the real cost to them isn't much in real world money. The only reason offers like this are made is to maintain reputation, it's certainly not out of the goodness of their hearts. Their business in making money, and if a couple of "feel good" offers keeps their cabins and coffers full, that's what matters to them.

I do find it funny that a lot of the folks who are posting criticisms of those who are actually booked on this cruise and are upset, aren't even affected by this since they aren't taking these cruise to begin with!

On the plus side FTTF is now available again....now...about those excursions...

Edited by tweak89

You remind me of people who are never happy..if your gonna complain stay home and cook..better than taking that attitude and ruining everybody elses good time..besides they are giving you 50.00 per person really were going and I'm just happy I'll be on it.

First: Why would you miss dinner? Won't they open the dining room for open seating, as they normally do with late departures?

Second: I think Carnival had to make the best they could with bad, but they offered a full refund to anyone that wanted it, plus some compensation, so that's fairly reasonable in my eyes. That said, I could see someone wanting to cancel if they cruised for the ports. Glad Carnival gave that option.

Customer has every right to feel unhappy or complain. But, would you complain to your bank teller that the Uber ride took longer than it should? These forums are to share information, good and bad, about what is going on in the cruising world. Some people seem to think that we have the ability to actually CHANGE what a customer thinks is an issue. We don't. If someone has a problem with Carnival they should call, email, pen a letter to Carnival and complain till the cows come home. But to complain here.....to the point of whining by some, is completely useless. Share the information so others will know but don't complain about it.

First: Why would you miss dinner? Won't they open the dining room for open seating, as they normally do with late departures?

Second: I think Carnival had to make the best they could with bad, but they offered a full refund to anyone that wanted it, plus some compensation, so that's fairly reasonable in my eyes. That said, I could see someone wanting to cancel if they cruised for the ports. Glad Carnival gave that option.

Worst case scenario, pizza place is open 24/7 so dinner will not be missed no matter what time they sail.

So bummed. My husband and I decided to go ahead and cancel our trip. Not happy, but decided that was best for us. Now I find out that the $400 travel protection through priceline will not be refunded. I know you only have 10 days after you purchase to get refunded, but you'd think they'd make an exception. Lesson learned:(

This is the same way they handled all the Dream propulsion issues. They just kept changing itineraries without actually fixing the ship. Luckily it goes in for dry dock in Jan so hopefully it will be fixed properly then. I cancelled our cruise on Dream next month when it became clear they had zero intentions of fixing the issue and they were just going to keep dragging customers along for the ride. You may make ports, you may not. I'm not going to pay that much to go on a ship with known propulsion problems. I took the $150 ES penalty hit and cancelled.

I understand why people would be upset since this is not an issue that was out of Carnivals control, they've known about this ships problems for a while form the sounds of it. They could have notified passengers long ago. I'm sure moving the ship was not a last second decision, it took a lot of planning, passengers should have been given enough notice that they could have cancelled early enough to get their money back to rebook on other lines. As it is now if they cancel, they won't get their money back in time to rebook with anyone else and many don't have enough money to just rebook now and wait for a refund later.

I think what you do depends on your situation. If you can afford to cancel and book something else and if there are some great last minute deals out there. Book on another line or even just a different ship. If you can't afford to do that go, take your future cruise discount and have a great time. That's probably what we would do just so we could get the 25% off a future cruise. Then we'd take the 25% off and book a Hawaiian cruise with it later :D

So bummed. My husband and I decided to go ahead and cancel our trip. Not happy, but decided that was best for us. Now I find out that the $400 travel protection through priceline will not be refunded. I know you only have 10 days after you purchase to get refunded, but you'd think they'd make an exception. Lesson learned:(

Many, many better options for insurance than Priceline. Same is true for booking a cruise.

Sent from my iPhone

You remind me of people who are never happy..if your gonna complain stay home and cook..better than taking that attitude and ruining everybody elses good time..besides they are giving you 50.00 per person really were going and I'm just happy I'll be on it.

I'm so happy, I'm wiling to come by your table on formal night (if we go) and ruin your evening with my "bad attitude"! :eek::rolleyes:;) Afterwards, we can use our onboard credits to have a few drinks and become best friends!! :)

BTW, I did jump on the FTTF since it became available. On the chance we do end up going, at least boarding and debarkation will be easy (we did this on our last cruise aod loved it).

Edited by tweak89

This is the same way they handled all the Dream propulsion issues. They just kept changing itineraries without actually fixing the ship. Luckily it goes in for dry dock in Jan so hopefully it will be fixed properly then. I cancelled our cruise on Dream next month when it became clear they had zero intentions of fixing the issue and they were just going to keep dragging customers along for the ride. You may make ports, you may not. I'm not going to pay that much to go on a ship with known propulsion problems. I took the $150 ES penalty hit and cancelled.

I understand why people would be upset since this is not an issue that was out of Carnivals control, they've known about this ships problems for a while form the sounds of it. They could have notified passengers long ago. I'm sure moving the ship was not a last second decision, it took a lot of planning, passengers should have been given enough notice that they could have cancelled early enough to get their money back to rebook on other lines. As it is now if they cancel, they won't get their money back in time to rebook with anyone else and many don't have enough money to just rebook now and wait for a refund later.

I think what you do depends on your situation. If you can afford to cancel and book something else and if there are some great last minute deals out there. Book on another line or even just a different ship. If you can't afford to do that go, take your future cruise discount and have a great time. That's probably what we would do just so we could get the 25% off a future cruise. Then we'd take the 25% off and book a Hawaiian cruise with it later :D

I don't know when they knew or should have known but according to the expert on the board the repair will involve cutting a hole in the hull to remove the motor, plus waiting for the parts that aren't readily available, so the repairs will not be taking place in the upcoming drydock. This is one of the reasons for the move because Liberty's limited speed can handle the changed itinerary given the closeness of the ports.

So,

Liberty apparently is unsafe to sail on, has changed our itinerary by dropping Falmouth and Grand Cayman, .........wow 7 day cruise to Cozumel and Costa Maya? Really, give me my money back, plus expenses, and I promise we will never book a cruise with carnival again.

Did you cancel?? See post 10.

I really can't figure out why people constantly think an exception should be made for them??? If all of these companies made exceptions to everyone who felt they deserved an exception, all of these companies would go out of business. The rules are there for a reason (to protect the business).

Found the answer to my own question. They are swapping the Valor and Liberty next month after Liberty's dry dock. This is just odd.

yup

Interesting what happens to people booked on Valor?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our trip is cut short by a day so they can reposition the boat -- We were given a 25% refund of the trip plus $25 OBC per person - The only thing we lost was a sea day

This was a 4 day on Dec 11

yup

Our trip is cut short by a day so they can reposition the boat -- We were given a 25% refund of the trip plus $25 OBC per person - The only thing we lost was a sea day

This was a 4 day on Dec 11

It isn't odd at all. As I understand it they had intended to fix the problem during the upcoming dry dock but found out that they would not be able to make the repairs at that time for a variety of factors (read any of Cheng's posts about the issue) so it was decided to change homeports since the reduced speed doesn't impact the itinerary out of Florida with the shorter distances to travel.