Pre-cruise stay, bring or leave passports in room?

Sotermarler

We are cruising out of Tampa in 3 days and are hitting Bush Gardens pre-cruise. Unfortunately I booked a sketchy hotel and am afraid to leave the passports with the luggage but I also hate the thought of taking them and losing them At the park. We don't have a car or I would hide them in there. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are cruising out of Tampa in 3 days and are hitting Bush Gardens pre-cruise. Unfortunately I booked a sketchy hotel and am afraid to leave the passports with the luggage but I also hate the thought of taking them and losing them At the park. We don't have a car or I would hide them in there. Any ideas?

What makes it a "sketchy hotel?"

Edited by Lido_Deck

Change hotels

+1

If the hotel is that sketchy, I'd be less worried about the passports being randomly stolen and more worried about my family's personal safety.

If it's really a concern, surely the passports could be hidden under a dresser or something. Of course, that introduces a more substantial risk of forgetting them at the hotel.

Or perhaps leave them in a drawer with a $20 on top and a note that says "take the cash, leave the passports please!" I'm actually not sure somebody would bother stealing a passport. They must have very minimal value in today's security environment. Of course, we're probably not talking about the most logical and rational among us.

(Somewhat) more seriously: you could get a money wallet/belt and wear the passports more securely than otherwise.

Sigh....no sleep last night. We are just going to bring the passports with us, and be vigilant with the bag. I stressed over it all night. I'm not worried so much about break ins as much as staff. I was going to put the sign out for no cleaning today, but there isn't one.

Lido asked what makes it sketchy...

We got in late last night and Uber'd it here with kids and luggage in tow.

When we walked up to the desk The guy looked up at me and I said "hi, my name is.." and he shushed me! He was counting money or something. Even my DS 8yrs old said, boy they are not friendly. Anyway they put us far from the front so we shlepped around back. Along the way I noticed People were hanging around cars and talking, not sure if they were guests or not.

Room reeks of cigarettes, safe is broken, toilet seat is off, dirty all around, holes in curtains etc. crack or gaps in the floor under the carpet, and we are on the 3rd fl, the place is a tear down.

The only positives was clean sheets and no visible bed bugs.

First thing I did after checking for bed bugs was search for another hotel for tonight, but with no car we have no place to put the luggage while awaiting check in, and the kids want to get to the park.

Sigh....no sleep last night. We are just going to bring the passports with us, and be vigilant with the bag. I stressed over it all night. I'm not worried so much about break ins as much as staff. I was going to put the sign out for no cleaning today, but there isn't one.

Lido asked what makes it sketchy...

We got in late last night and Uber'd it here with kids and luggage in tow.

When we walked up to the desk The guy looked up at me and I said "hi, my name is.." and he shushed me! He was counting money or something. Even my DS 8yrs old said, boy they are not friendly. Anyway they put us far from the front so we shlepped around back. Along the way I noticed People were hanging around cars and talking, not sure if they were guests or not.

Room reeks of cigarettes, safe is broken, toilet seat is off, dirty all around, holes in curtains etc. crack or gaps in the floor under the carpet, and we are on the 3rd fl, the place is a tear down.

The only positives was clean sheets and no visible bed bugs.

First thing I did after checking for bed bugs was search for another hotel for tonight, but with no car we have no place to put the luggage while awaiting check in, and the kids want to get to the park.

So what you're saying is you were so obsessed on saving a few dollars on the cheesy hotel you ignored the sum total costs.

Instead of staying at an airport area hotel with a free shuttle, you chose a sketchy hotel that was a few dollars cheaper, but then you had to pay Uber to get there. You should have taken the money you spent on Uber and stayed at a little better hotel and you would have probably spent about the same amount of money and in addition gotten a good night's sleep.

To compound your problems, you came in an extra day early, but you have no transportation to enjoy it. Had you spent a few dollars on a car rental your family could have had transportation to enjoy your first vacation day and in this situation you could have packed up and found a better place to stay, plus you would have transportation to the port tomorrow.

It all boils down to the 7 Ps...Proper Prior Planning Prevents P**s Poor Performance.

You could still salvage the day and a good night's sleep by renting a car, change hotels and then have transportation to the port tomorrow.

After your description of the surroundings, I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving those passports in the luggage. How about buying a passport holder to wear around your neck under your shirt? DH wouldn't travel without one just in case a safe is broken.

So what you're saying is you were so obsessed on saving a few dollars on the cheesy hotel you ignored the sum total costs.

Instead of staying at an airport area hotel with a free shuttle, you chose a sketchy hotel that was a few dollars cheaper, but then you had to pay Uber to get there. You should have taken the money you spent on Uber and stayed at a little better hotel and you would have probably spent about the same amount of money and in addition gotten a good night's sleep.

To compound your problems, you came in an extra day early, but you have no transportation to enjoy it. Had you spent a few dollars on a car rental your family could have had transportation to enjoy your first vacation day and in this situation you could have packed up and found a better place to stay, plus you would have transportation to the port tomorrow.

It all boils down to the 7 Ps...Proper Prior Planning Prevents P**s Poor Performance.

You could still salvage the day and a good night's sleep by renting a car, change hotels and then have transportation to the port tomorrow.

This times ten.

This x's 20....Yikes OP...so glad I don't vacation with you...Next time don't book a hotel that charges by the hour :eek:

Edited by Ashland

Hilarious! You just made me laugh out loud. Yes, we tried to save some $$ so we could do Bush Gardens and do an excursion. Not everyone has tons of cash to waste. We chose a place close to the park with free breakfast. Uber is super cheap, $25 from to hotel, $14 to park and back, then prob will be another $20 to head to our hotel near port tomorrow.

We are switching hotels tomorrow. And to be clear i did research this hotel and the pictures on line were bogus, not even close to the same room.

The day ended up great as we found a do not disturb sign and put that out. I'm sure they were more than happy to skip our room.

It just all makes us want to get on the ship that much more. Sunday can't get here fast enough.

Hilarious! You just made me laugh out loud. Yes, we tried to save some $$ so we could do Bush Gardens and do an excursion. Not everyone has tons of cash to waste. We chose a place close to the park with free breakfast. Uber is super cheap, $25 from to hotel, $14 to park and back, then prob will be another $20 to head to our hotel near port tomorrow.

We are switching hotels tomorrow. And to be clear i did research this hotel and the pictures on line were bogus, not even close to the same room.

The day ended up great as we found a do not disturb sign and put that out. I'm sure they were more than happy to skip our room.

It just all makes us want to get on the ship that much more. Sunday can't get here fast enough.

I'm so glad for your family you were able to find that sign but more importantly change hotels....At least you'll have a cautionary (funny later) story to look back on.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation :)

This x's 20....Yikes OP...so glad I don't vacation with you...Next time don't book a hotel that charges by the hour :eek:

Ha ha ha, [emoji38] well my DH did say when we walked in , "this is the place that hookers disappear from." I said, "I think I found all of the deplorables, They're hiding out at the Days Inn."

I asked the Uber driver if this hotel is in a bad part of town, he said "no one street over on the other side of the highway". Then he said it's not bad like Ybor city. @&$@ I just booked Ybor city hotel for tomorrow night!

I'm so glad for your family you were able to find that sign but more importantly change hotels....At least you'll have a cautionary (funny later) story to look back on.

Enjoy the rest of your vacation :)

Yes. I'm still giggling about your comment. Lesson learned 2 stars is bad, really really bad!

Ha ha ha, [emoji38] well my DH did say when we walked in , "this is the place that hookers disappear from." I said, "I think I found all of the deplorables, They're hiding out at the Days Inn."

I asked the Uber driver if this hotel is in a bad part of town, he said "no one street over on the other side of the highway". Then he said it's not bad like Ybor city. @&$@ I just booked Ybor city hotel for tomorrow night!

I haven't stayed in Ybor City since 2009, but it was a great place to stay and walk around the area at night. Regardless, you must have dinner at Columbia Restaurant.

Let this be a lesson for all: You can save a lot of money and enhance your vacation by spending a few dollars on a rental car (usually less than $50 per day total), especially with weekend rates. It doesn't matter if you stay at a hotel 10 or 15 miles away, that just means a 15 - 20 minute drive....In your rental car.

Let this be a lesson for all: You can save a lot of money and enhance your vacation by spending a few dollars on a rental car (usually less than $50 per day total), especially with weekend rates. It doesn't matter if you stay at a hotel 10 or 15 miles away, that just means a 15 - 20 minute drive....In your rental car.

True, but then we go and spend $400 for the family to zip line in some foreign port. Why spend that money, when you can get the $39.99 hotel and fear for your life for hours at a time? :eek: :D

True, but then we go and spend $400 for the family to zip line in some foreign port. Why spend that money, when you can get the $39.99 hotel and fear for your life for hours at a time? :eek: :D

Don't forget they spent $25 with Uber to get to the $39.99 hotel and then another $10-$20 with Uber to escape the $39.99 hotel and then another $10-$20 with Uber to get to the port. :eek:

I think we stayed that Days Inn by Busch Garden years ago back before there was a lot of research on the internet and Days Inn was a Fairly reliable chain.

I think your description is perfect - sketchy.

We were young and fairly poor and wanted to take the kids to Busch Gardens for a whole weekend so we drove over from Orlando stayed in Tampa. The pool was clean so they can swim in that; the clientele.... well. At night there was a hopping busy Lounge with drunks as an added bonus.

But the best part was they provided reading material. When we got into the room I checked the cleanliness. Between the mattress and the box spring we found special p0rn. One title was Sexy Silvers. There were two or three magazines. I was not amused but my husband found some humor in it by giving it as a birthday present to an older friend. Sometimes I don't understand men.

Looking back , it's kind of funny now. But now I don't have 6 and 3 year olds with me

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app