Church services

redhot77

Unless you are with a certain group of folks meeting somewhere, I have never seen any announcements in the Fun Times regarding any services.:o

While not all that frequent, we have seen where groups traveling have had it posted they were having services.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Occasionally around the holidays someone on the ship will volunteer to lead a service, but not always. Your best bet is to find a church in port.

If it's daily devotions you are seeking, then there are plenty of quiet places around the ship for you or your group to do this on your own.

I had a little experience with this issue on a recent cruise.

We were traveling with a church group, including our pastor.

Once onboard, the lovely folks at guest services were very helpful in working with us to reserve a space onboard our group could use to hold Catholic Mass. Their policy is that you have to make the request once onboard, and you are somewhat at the mercy of their schedule. (Obviously, they're not going to reschedule some planned onboard entertainment to give you a lounge or a theater.)

If a religious group is traveling onboard and wishes to open up their services to anyone else on board to come (including making any sort of announcement), Carnival requires that the clergy person traveling with the group present a letter from their religious organization that they are clergy in good standing.

In our case, we jumped through the hoops and in addition to being given a lounge to use for Mass, we were able to invite anyone else on board who wished to attend. About 50 showed up.

Bottom line: Don't expect religious services onboard. If a clergy member who is of your religion is onboard and offered to conduct services, they may be available, but in my experience (8 cruises) that's pretty rare.

As others have mentioned, you may be able to attend Church in port if you wish, depending on the days and times.

Or perhaps you could organize something more informal onboard for yourself and any friends who wish to join you.

Not sure if I've ever seen any organized church services.

Some ships did have small Chapels, maybe 5 rows of pews or so. Weddings and vow renewals used to take place there, as well as non denominational services and Friends of Bill meetings.

Being non revenue creating, these spaces were simply converted to shops during dry docks.

I think it is great if a group wants to hold services while on board but I don't understand why anyone would expect a cruise ship to provide services on its own??

If you stayed at a hotel on land for a week would you expect the hotel to hold services for you???

The ship is just your hotel at sea.

It depends if there is a clergyperson on board. I have seen organized services on holidays (we cruised once over the December holidays and there were Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish services scheduled) and I have seen Catholic mass scheduled on regular Sundays. If a religious group is traveling together, Guest services can help arrange a place for the service.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do any one know if the Freedom has church services?

I can't imagine any line doing that. You run the risk of having to have 30 diffrent services for 30 different religions. Would be a wise move to avoid it all together and let guest worship as they see fit.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Ships do not offer church services. You can do this on your own with your group. If a pastor etc wants to do a service, they will need to bring a good standing letter from their religious leader and present it to guest services. Guest services will try to book a spot for you but this is solely based on availability.

I believe Holland America still provides Catholic Mass. I think they do it daily. Maybe someone has better info on this than I do. I think it helps them recruit their staff, which is all from the Phillipines.

They do.. my boss is one of the priests. He cruises with them 3-4 times a year. He does daily Mass and then is able to spend the rest of his time having fun. Great gig!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The only time I've seen Carnival offer a service is when a clergy member is sailing and offers to have a service. Other lines do have scheduled clergy members - my now retired parish priest has done a number of planned cruises on X with services offered.