Voice of the Ocean

Alaskan Joe

You get a trophy just like the Voice on TV. The trophy has "Voice of the Ocean" on it. Also, everyone got a bottle of champagne -- not an expensive one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm going to be good, and zip my lips on it -- he would be happier if I just bought a bottle of champagne ;-)

I'm going to be good, and zip my lips on it -- he would be happier if I just bought a bottle of champagne ;-)

I'm not a pro or anything but there were lots of people who tried out who were just encouraged by alcohol or sang for the fun of it. Some were ok while others didn't sound like they hit any note. In any case, people had fun [emoji4]

So in the event that I do try out and IF (a very big one) I happen to get chosen to participate, does anyone who has participated in the past remember any of the song options for female singers?

The winner on the Regal Christmas cruise sang Aretha's Respect.

Well I made it to the finals on the Voice of the Ocean:D. Although I did not win I did receive a bottle of champagne. Like the previous poster said the winner got The Voice of the Ocean trophy and bragging rights nothing more. A lot of people in the audience asked me if it was fixed, they felt it was. I did not feel it was fixed. However if they wanted too fix it they could have. There was 2 singers to 1 coach and IMHO the coaches picked the best 3 singers that the audience would vote for. I wish I was one of the best singers, but I know I was not. Nevertheless it was fun and I did get my 15mins of fame for the rest of the night and the following morning. I also ran in to someone at the airport that said great job last night (never saw them the whole cruise) but they must have been on there.

Well I made it to the finals on the Voice of the Ocean:D. Although I did not win I did receive a bottle of champagne. Like the previous poster said the winner got The Voice of the Ocean trophy and bragging rights nothing more. A lot of people in the audience asked me if it was fixed, they felt it was. I did not feel it was fixed. However if they wanted too fix it they could have. There was 2 singers to 1 coach and IMHO the coaches picked the best 3 singers that the audience would vote for. I wish I was one of the best singers, but I know I was not. Nevertheless it was fun and I did get my 15mins of fame for the rest of the night and the following morning. I also ran in to someone at the airport that said great job last night (never saw them the whole cruise) but they must have been on there.

I didn't get picked as one of the final 3 but got a lot of attention because my picture appeared for the singer who was picked by the coach for my team. The strange part was that when I was exiting the Princess Theatre, there were dozens of people who said they voted for me -- but I wasn't picked by the the coach to be one of the final 3. Bizarre! During the voting, the MC just told the audience to ignore the picture but when the winner was announced (for the singer from another team), my face apparently displayed as the winner. It was crazy. Some people in the audience thought it was fixed but who knows. I didn't see the whole thing unfolded because I was in the backstage. I was told by my party that the production guys had to turn off the photo display of the winner because it was my face appearing. Funny! Anyway, I kinda' felt bad for the young girl who actually won. They should have displayed her face instead of mine. In any case, it was a lot of fun!

I didn't get picked as one of the final 3 but got a lot of attention because my picture appeared for the singer who was picked by the coach for my team. The strange part was that when I was exiting the Princess Theatre, there were dozens of people who said they voted for me -- but I wasn't picked by the the coach to be one of the final 3. Bizarre! During the voting, the MC just told the audience to ignore the picture but when the winner was announced (for the singer from another team), my face apparently displayed as the winner. It was crazy. Some people in the audience thought it was fixed but who knows. I didn't see the whole thing unfolded because I was in the backstage. I was told by my party that the production guys had to turn off the photo display of the winner because it was my face appearing. Funny! Anyway, I kinda' felt bad for the young girl who actually won. They should have displayed her face instead of mine. In any case, it was a lot of fun!

Brian, I was in the Princess Theater that night on the cruise. You were very good and one of three that I thought could win. I wasn't one of the passengers with the voting device so I was just an observer. Like you, I don't think it was fixed either, I think it was a difficult choice.

Good job!

The only "fix" is that it is pre-decided which judges will turn around for each contestant.

They don't want an embarrassing situation if no judges turn around, since each contestant is a paying guest.

It's not "fixed", it' just not quite Kosher.

Judges are also told to only say positive things.

Since contests get to choose who's team they are on, winners cannot be predetermined.

The audience gets the final say.

Brian, I was in the Princess Theater that night on the cruise. You were very good and one of three that I thought could win. I wasn't one of the passengers with the voting device so I was just an observer. Like you, I don't think it was fixed either, I think it was a difficult choice.

Good job!

Thank you Sacto Rick [emoji4] Singing with a live band in front of hundreds of people was an amazing experience! I would do it again - with some liquid encouragement [emoji485]

We're now booking our next Princess cruise [emoji4]

I participated on Coral last year. Not many folks tried out, which is why I got to be a finalist :-) it was an amazing experience. For female songs they had some country (shania, Tammy Wynette, patsy cline) some divas (Celine, Adele, Aretha) and some pop (like Katy Perry) some fun stuff like Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, I Will Survive, Raining Men, I Love Rock & Roll.

It's a limited selection, but there is some variety and the singers from the entertainment staff help you rehearse and give pointers to help you do your best.

• 3 months later...

I was a finalist on the Emerald Princess very recently, and they now offer far more than 40 songs - there were about 150-200 to choose from. Process seemed fair - "coaches" (though they did no coaching) turned their chairs and singers chose their coach from among those who turned. Most singers had all three chairs turn, though a few had only two chairs turn. After all singers performed, coaches chose from among the 2-3 performers who had selected them as a coach. Then the audience voted. None of my supporters got voting devices, though I doubt it would have helped me - the woman who won got 76% of the vote - and deserved it!

I was a finalist on the Emerald Princess very recently, and they now offer far more than 40 songs - there were about 150-200 to choose from. Process seemed fair - "coaches" (though they did no coaching) turned their chairs and singers chose their coach from among those who turned. Most singers had all three chairs turn, though a few had only two chairs turn. After all singers performed, coaches chose from among the 2-3 performers who had selected them as a coach. Then the audience voted. None of my supporters got voting devices, though I doubt it would have helped me - the woman who won got 76% of the vote - and deserved it!

Very cool @mistereks! Congrats on getting to the finals. I'm sure it was an awesome experience. Good to know there's a wider selection of songs now. That's a lot more than when I participated just last January. I'll try to join again [emoji4] on our next cruise on Regal in December.

This is what the trophy looks like.

I won on the Coral last month.

None of us received any champagne. It differs from ship to ship.

1541-web.jpg

Congratulations on your win! I participated back in February on the Royal. I didn't make the final 3 (in fact I only got a "sympathy turn"), but happened to just pick up the trophy while we were backstage -- That sucker was heavy!