Heathrow to South Hampton transfer

lmentzer

We've not done the Heathrow to Southampton transfer because we always arrive several days early but we've done it from Southampton to Heathrow and, in my opinion, it's the best option when flying home the same day. I believe the last time we did it, it was about $59 USD and we had to have our TA book it for us.

If you're flying to Heathrow the day the cruise departs, the Princess transfer is probably your best option. They will meet you at baggage claim and you'll put your suitcases on their bus. They next time you see your luggage will be in your cabin.

The buses will run all day, picking up at various terminals. Depending on your flight arrival time, there may be limitations on the availability of the option. You should contact your travel agent.

We've not done the Heathrow to Southampton transfer because we always arrive several days early but we've done it from Southampton to Heathrow and, in my opinion, it's the best option when flying home the same day. I believe the last time we did it, it was about $59 USD and we had to have our TA book it for us.

If you're flying to Heathrow the day the cruise departs, the Princess transfer is probably your best option. They will meet you at baggage claim and you'll put your suitcases on their bus. They next time you see your luggage will be in your cabin.

The buses will run all day, picking up at various terminals. Depending on your flight arrival time, there may be limitations on the availability of the option. You should contact your travel agent.

^^^^

What they said

We used Princess transfer.The lines can be long getting thru customs but Princess will not leave you stranded.

Howard

Word to the wise-

Do not use British Airport Transfers. We prepaid our transfers to and from Southhampton. They took us there, but refused to pick us up- or refund the money. I had my 77 year old mom- all of her adapted equiptment and our luggage to get to Heathrow. We finally got a taxi, but we're really at the dregs by then.

I had to involve PayPal in the dispute to have our money refunded. Because I am a serial retainer of all-things email and receipts- I had everything PayPal needed to go after them. Due to the distress BAT cause (and without our asking), PayPal ended up refunding both directions of the transfer (we only asked for one, as we had taken the ride from the airport to the cruiseport). PayPal then denied payment to BAT. Never again.

I've always used the Princess transfer from the ship back to the airport but always go in early so do my own transportation that way. I've used the National bus several times and it was pretty easy. I use Southampton as a base and have gone to Winchester and Portsmouth for day trips by train.

We used a company called Smiths for Airports. Had a private car take us from Heathrow to Southampton. Cost was 75 pounds (approx $100 US at current exchange rates). Must be paid in pounds in cash. The driver was waiting for us when we left immigration. Took us directly where we wanted to go in Southampton near the port. We will use them the next time we travel to London.

We have caught the National Express Bus from Heathrow to Southampton. You can walk to the bus station from the terminal (with luggage) and the bus trip is about 2.25 hours, virtually direct and there are a few services that leave each day.

It drops you right in the heart of Southampton and if you are staying at the Premier Inn near the cruise dock, you can walk there from the bus depot (with luggage)....it's about 500 metres.

And the cost for us??..........25 pound each (plus 1 pound on line booking fee). Could probably get it cheaper if you book early.

We used a company called Smiths for Airports. Had a private car take us from Heathrow to Southampton. Cost was 75 pounds (approx $100 US at current exchange rates). Must be paid in pounds in cash. The driver was waiting for us when we left immigration. Took us directly where we wanted to go in Southampton near the port. We will use them the next time we travel to London.

We used the same transfer service this past June. Worked great. The driver was standing right outside of the Customs exit and drove the two of us in a private car to Southampton. The cost was around GPB75, plus we provided a tip. We did use cash. Believe they will accept credit cards, but there is a small surcharge. The Princess bus transfer was US$59/pp which is actually more $$ for less service.

I used the Princess transfer from Heathrow to Southampton and it worked great for me. I'm sorry, I don't remember the exact cost, but it was reasonable. I planned to stay in London after my cruise, so I flew in the day before and stayed overnight at an airport hotel. I flew on Delta into Terminal 4 and stayed at the Heathrow Hilton which is attached to Terminal 4. You have to walk through a tunnel to get to the hotel and, for some, it might be a longish walk while hauling luggage. If I did it again I'd get a luggage cart. In the morning, I had to get to Terminal 3 for the shuttle. Originally, I was going to go back to Terminal 4 and take the train to Terminal 3. In the end, I got up in the morning and took a cab to Terminal 3. He dropped me and pointed out the exact door I needed to go to. It was very handy. I'd estimate that I got there at around 10AM and I was on a shuttle within a half hour. One shuttle went before me. I think I was on the second. It was a comfortable ride and I got to the ship in time for lunch in the MDR. In a stroke of good luck, I really liked my taxi driver and called him after I got back to London. I booked him to take me from my London hotel back to Heathrow. I was happy.

We will use Princess transfer from Heathrow to South Hampton, and then from Ft. Lauderdale port to their airport in Sept. The total transfer package is $78 pp. I can't remember how it was divided between the two except the Heathrow to South Hampton transfer costs more than the Ft. Lauderdale transfer. We always us Princess transfers. They are reliable and I consider the cost reasonable.

Edited by 1965

You can get either the National Express bus direct from Heathrow or you can get the train - with 1 stop.

Look at either National Express website for the bus or "Trainline" to look at the train times.

The best time to book the train is 3 months early - thats when the prices are best.

The bus can be as little as £5 but depending on how many of you there are a private taxi service might be cheaper?

Katie x