Large earthquake in NZ

Beanb41

Just after midnight tonight we experienced a 7.5 earthquake centred just north of Christchurch. We are in Wellington and it went on for over two minutes and has been felt as far north as Auckland. It has left us with a seasick feeling

Just after midnight tonight we experienced a 7.5 earthquake centred just north of Christchurch. We are in Wellington and it went on for over two minutes and has been felt as far north as Auckland. It has left us with a seasick feeling

Wow! This is really sad. Did not realize that the "shakes" were both that long in time and covering such a wide area of NZ territory. Appreciate these details and updates. Hope for the best for all in lovely and charming New Zealand.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 160,553 views for this posting.

I'm starting to read some of the news stories.... wow. Feeling sad for the people directly affected.

Things shook here but no damage as far as I know. The power also stayed on. Feeling aftershocks in my area is rare but I knew it had to be one.

As much as I like the idea of living near the coastal edges of the country... today I'm glad that I don't. That means there's little chance of a tsunami in my city.

It'll be a normal day of work for me today but it's probably going to disrupt what I'm doing this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Wellington City is closed and all non essential people have been told to stay home. Some schools are closed. Trains and ferries are not running. The strait ferries are anchored in the harbour until berthes are checked. There is a lot of glass downtown and liquefaction near the port. @ people have apparently died but cause of death is unknown yet. Defence has been mobilised to provide assistance at this stage mainly airforce and use of the large helicopters. The more significant damage apparently is on the north west coast of the South Island where a number of smaller towns are still cut off. A Tsunami alert was triggered during the night and many evacuations were implemented. Now safe to return home. The fact that it occurred at midnight means we may have dodged a big bullet. Facebook has been a godsend as a method of contacting friends and family and advising that we are all safe.

Not great news at all.

Quite a few friends are heading to Christchurch this week for the Commonwealth Veterans Fencing Championships. It was awarded as a part of the celebration of the recovery from 2011.

An email has come through this morning saying ""Christchurch I'd open for business". Most damage seemingly further north.

My thoughts with all affected.

Wellington is the more affected of those two cities this time. Beanb41s earlier post sums up the situation there.

People in Christchurch are going to work. I've spoken to a couple of people down there this morning.

It's not a good situation and I feel for the people badly affected by it. [emoji53]

Praying for those affected by the continuing quakes.

Was woken by the quake around midnight, we live in south Auckland, went for close to a minute, so we knew someone had been hit, hard.

I understand the Wellington wharves have suffered some damage and Picton is being checked.

Aroha to all, stay safe.

TraceyG

Thoughts are with all effected.

Looks like its the top of the South Island and Wellington that bore the brunt of it. Not felt in Auckland, at least not where I am, thank goodness.

Kaikoura is cut off and many tourists ,who go there for the whale watching , are waiting for the roads to be cleared. Access only by helicopter at the moment.

The tsunami warning has been lifted but warnings are still in place due to the higher than normal tides from the King moon.

One family who moved to higher ground, returned when the all clear was given to find their home looted.:mad:

If thats not enough the wild weather that hit Tasmania over the weekend is due to move onto NZ tomorrow, just in time for the clean up:eek:.

I have just spoken to a friend in the Marlborough. She said there has been a lot of damage around the wineries but they are okay. The road between Kaikoura and Blenheim is closed so there must be a lot of damage there.

Cheers

Di

I have just spoken to a friend in the Marlborough. She said there has been a lot of damage around the wineries but they are okay. The road between Kaikoura and Blenheim is closed so there must be a lot of damage there.

Cheers

Di

Yes ...a lot of damage.There was a report on the radio from someone driving in Marlborough and all they could smell was wine from all the vats that were tipped over.

Also with the roads the only access ,apart from going via the West Coast is the private road through Molesworth Station.

Its been downgraded to 6.6 20km south of Hanmer. We are stiil feeling after shocks 11 minutes afterwards. Fortunately family are fine

Nope. Geonet has confirmed that it was 7.5, 15Km deep, centred 15 km north-east of Culverden.

Lots of aftershocks. Damage to infrastructure (particulalry roads), power and water supplies and sewage services in some areas.

Fortunately, only 2 deaths confirmed.

Wellington City is closed and all non essential people have been told to stay home. Some schools are closed. Trains and ferries are not running. The strait ferries are anchored in the harbour until berthes are checked. There is a lot of glass downtown and liquefaction near the port. @ people have apparently died but cause of death is unknown yet. Defence has been mobilised to provide assistance at this stage mainly airforce and use of the large helicopters. The more significant damage apparently is on the north west coast of the South Island where a number of smaller towns are still cut off. A Tsunami alert was triggered during the night and many evacuations were implemented. Now safe to return home. The fact that it occurred at midnight means we may have dodged a big bullet. Facebook has been a godsend as a method of contacting friends and family and advising that we are all safe.

Appreciate these above excellent details and background from Beanb41 in Wellington. Plus, the comments and updates from others on this thread. Very helpful for those of us in following this tragedy. As noted, given the intensity, it is surprising that only two deaths have been reported so far.

Am I correct in my memory from visiting wonderful and charming Wellington in early 2014 that many of their building there were built with wood and/or in a smart way to better withstand the potential damages from earthquakes? Added insights to share here?

This story is getting major coverage here in the U.S. From the Washington Post this afternoon, they have this headline: "Two reported dead after huge earthquake strikes New Zealand" with these highlights: "A 7.8 magnitude earthquake struck in the south island of New Zealand early Monday morning, triggering a tsunami alert for the entire east coast of the country as six-foot-high waves began to come in. Later, the alert was downgraded. Emergency authorities advised people to stay off the beaches and away from the coast along the length of both islands, and evacuation advisories were issued for the South Island area of Kaikoura and for Wellington, the capital city."

Full story at:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/worldviews/wp/2016/11/13/tsunami-warning-issued-after-huge-earthquake-strikes-new-zealand/?hpid=hp_hp-more-top-stories_no-name%3Ahomepage%2Fstory

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 205,260 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Building earthquake proof or doing strengthening work on buildings here is an ongoing exercise. It's a big issue in Wellington. Some buildings were built to withstand them but not all.

Sadly this recent earthquake could mean the loss of more old buildings [emoji53]

Very helpful for those of us in following this tragedy. As noted, given the intensity, it is surprising that only two deaths have been reported so far

The relatively good news is they have been centred in rural areas - a lot less population than the Christchurch ones

It's too early to say what is happening in terms of the earthquakes and aftershocks or even damage - but for those interested I suggest these sites:

News: http://www.stuff.co.nz

TV: https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news

Earthquake info: https://www.geonet.org.nz/quakes/felt