QuestionAir France - Carry On Luggage Limitations

Woobstr112G

I'm looking into possibly booking AF next year for a flight to Rome, via a stopover in Paris, from LAX. If I can swing it financially, I am hoping to book First (La Premiere) Class on an AB A380. Now that the preamble is done(:)) here is my question.

Does AF rigorously enforce their carry on luggage policies? I see their carry on limits are 21.7" in height I have a 22" Roncato carry on and was looking at buying a 22" Tumi for my DW. Both cases are obviously 22" in height. I really want to book the AF seats but also don't want to spend $$$$$ on the Tumi if they are going to say I'm, albeit a small amount, over the size limits.

I was hoping someone who has recently flown AF could advise. Thanks in advance for any replies.....::):):)

Bob

Edited by Woobstr112G

There is no absolute answer other than that all baggage is technically subject to the size/weight limitations of the operating carrier.

In many cases, as long as you are not abusing the rules, premium class passengers may not get the scrutiny done to coach passengers. But, and this is a huge but, you are always subject to the whim or attitude of the various AF agents you encounter, including original check-in and at the gate.

Not quite sure what the motivation is for AF first class. There are better ones out there, including both Emirates and Etihad from LAX. The new AF product is an improvement over the original A380 seating, but still not cutting edge - if you do fly AF, be sure you are getting the new seating.

Finally, just because a bag is labeled as 22 inches doesn't actually mean that it is. Does that number include the wheels and handles and feet? Because it's the actual dimension, not the advertised one that matters.

Edited by FlyerTalker

We have found European airlines to be extremely arbitrary when it comes to carry on luggage. Even though our carry ons always are below the size and weight limits imposed by the airline, we have had to gate check them a couple of times. The last time this happened, the gal sitting next to us had the exact same bag in the overhead. Go figure!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Viv0828

I'm looking into possibly booking AF next year for a flight to Rome, via a stopover in Paris, from LAX. If I can swing it financially, I am hoping to book First (La Premiere) Class on an AB A380. Now that the preamble is done(:)) here is my question.

Does AF rigorously enforce their carry on luggage policies? I see their carry on limits are 21.7" in height I have a 22" Roncato carry on and was looking at buying a 22" Tumi for my DW. Both cases are obviously 22" in height. I really want to book the AF seats but also don't want to spend $$$$$ on the Tumi if they are going to say I'm, albeit a small amount, over the size limits.

I was hoping someone who has recently flown AF could advise. Thanks in advance for any replies.....::):):)

Bob

We have taken air france through Paris to Rome from San Francisco on the A380... booked preimium coach seats... did not find AF real strick checking of luggage but I would caution, the real issue is the size of the over head bins on board the aircraft... if oversized may not fit.

They will weigh your carry on so watch out! I wear a jacket with pockets and briefly remove heavy items prior to approaching the check in counter. Don't laught but my electronics etc got hidden on me rather then in my bag until AFTER I left the counter. They weighed and tagged my carry on. Put everything back in afterwards. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums