Itinerary change--missing Macon

Jay Bee

(I would have posted this on a roll call thread, but there doesn't seem to be one, and besides, I wondered if it affected other cruiselines.)

We are booked on the Viking Delling next summer for the Paris, Burgundy & Provence cruise. Last week I received an email stating:

"For technical reasons, we will be unable to sail between Lyon and Macon on our 2017 cruises. The ship will instead stay docked in Lyon on the day previously scheduled for Macon.

Rest assured, this change will not affect your included shore excursion program. The
Beaujolais Wine Excursion
will still be offered, as the area visited during this excursion is located between Lyon and Macon and easily accessible from both cities.

This change does however, allow you more free time in Lyon, a city we trust you will enjoy very much."

In my experience, itinerary changes generally do not enhance the cruise; rather, the opposite. Does anyone have an opinion (especially those who have done this trip)? Has this affected all cruises to Macon?

Thanks,

Jan

Thanks ever so much for your posting as we are booked with Scenic on the Sapphire for The Spectacular South of France with Paris and Monte Carlo for September 2017 and have just sent an email inquiring as to if this be the case for all cruises..

Lisa and Gary

LoneStarCruisinCouple

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Thanks ever so much for your posting as we are booked with Scenic on the Sapphire for The Spectacular South of France with Paris and Monte Carlo for September 2017 and have just sent an email inquiring as to if this be the case for all cruises..

Lisa and Gary

LoneStarCruisinCouple

Please post if you get a response. :)

Hey Jay Bee,

I have just talked with the folks at Scenic here in the US and haven't heard of anything but I read your post to them and they are contacting their operations department to see if this pertains to all cruise lines or just Viking. Did you find out in calling as to what the " Technical Issue " is?

Thanks

GARY

Hey Jay Bee,

I have just talked with the folks at Scenic here in the US and haven't heard of anything but I read your post to them and they are contacting their operations department to see if this pertains to all cruise lines or just Viking. Did you find out in calling as to what the " Technical Issue " is?

No. I thought I'd post here first before calling. If people tell me that we're really missing out by not sailing to Macon, I'd like to be ready to register a complaint.

Jan

This doesn't answer your question, but on our Rhone trip with another cruise line, due to high water we were not able to sail to Macon from Lyon. Macon was to be the port for our bus excursion to Beaune, but we were bused from Lyon. We had an extra day in Lyon due to the high water, and Lyon is such an interesting city and easy to explore on foot and using the tram system that it was a plus and not a hardship.

Unfortunately, due to the high, rapid flowing water, ultimately our ship was allowed to sail from port to port while we had bus trips to meet the ship at each port, visiting places we ordinarily wouldn't have enjoyed had we been on the ship as well as the regular walking tours of the ports. Was this ideal? No, but it is such a beautiful and interesting area of France that we still very much enjoyed the trip. High or low water is possible with river cruising, and you never know what might happen.

This doesn't answer your question, but on our Rhone trip with another cruise line, due to high water we were not able to sail to Macon from Lyon. Macon was to be the port for our bus excursion to Beaune, but we were bused from Lyon. We had an extra day in Lyon due to the high water, and Lyon is such an interesting city and easy to explore on foot and using the tram system that it was a plus and not a hardship.

Unfortunately, due to the high, rapid flowing water, ultimately our ship was allowed to sail from port to port while we had bus trips to meet the ship at each port, visiting places we ordinarily wouldn't have enjoyed had we been on the ship as well as the regular walking tours of the ports. Was this ideal? No, but it is such a beautiful and interesting area of France that we still very much enjoyed the trip. High or low water is possible with river cruising, and you never know what might happen.

Actually, that does help. Thank you. :)

Husband and I are scheduled to sail the Avignon to Lyon cruise on the Heimdal on Oct. 25 2017. We received the same email from Viking. Not going to Macon will not be a problem for us. We are looking forward to spending more time in Lyon. We'll see what kind of extra excursions Viking will offer and perhaps take one of them. Viking also stated the original excursion from Macon will still be offered but will leave from Lyon instead.

On our GCT cruise scheduled for next April, we board the ship in Macon, but no tour of the city is offered, and we spend 2 nights in Lyon. From what I understand there is much to see in Lyon, and you should appreciate spending the extra time there. It is France's third largest city with a lot to offer. I think they may have actually improved the itinerary with this change.

On our GCT cruise scheduled for next April, we board the ship in Macon, but no tour of the city is offered, and we spend 2 nights in Lyon. From what I understand there is much to see in Lyon, and you should appreciate spending the extra time there. It is France's third largest city with a lot to offer. I think they may have actually improved the itinerary with this change.

So right about Lyon, Cary cruiser! Lots to see and do and some of the best restaurants in France! I think OP will probably be doing their Beaune tour from Lyon as well and Beaune is really worthwhile.

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I am reassured that time in Lyon will not be overkill. The point of a river cruise is to sail down a river so missing the jaunt to and from Macon will be missed, but it's still better than a bus (fingers crossed).

Hi Jay Bee ( Jan )

Just wanted to let you know that yes I have heard back from Scenic and no issues with conversing between Lyon and Macon.

The "Technical Issues" would appear to do a lot with Water Levels and Low Bridges on the river between the two cities and if I remember right you are cruising with Viking and their ship are somewhat higher than that of Scenic Ships.

Hoping that this may be of some help you.

Are you going to be doing any sort of a Blog during your cruise? Have you ever been over in this particular part of France Before? Do you happen to have any sort of inside info as to place to go and see or things that aren't to be missed?

We made our plane reservations yesterday and are flying into Paris on The 19 and our cruise doesn't set out until the 25 of September of 2017, so time to do some looking around and Sightseeing.

Wishing You Smooth Sailings

Fun For All and All For Fun Loungin" Laughin" and Libations"

Happy ThanksGiving.

Gary

Hi Jay Bee ( Jan )

Just wanted to let you know that yes I have heard back from Scenic and no issues with conversing between Lyon and Macon.

The "Technical Issues" would appear to do a lot with Water Levels and Low Bridges on the river between the two cities and if I remember right you are cruising with Viking and their ship are somewhat higher than that of Scenic Ships.

Hoping that this may be of some help you.

Are you going to be doing any sort of a Blog during your cruise? Have you ever been over in this particular part of France Before? Do you happen to have any sort of inside info as to place to go and see or things that aren't to be missed?

We made our plane reservations yesterday and are flying into Paris on The 19 and our cruise doesn't set out until the 25 of September of 2017, so time to do some looking around and Sightseeing.

Wishing You Smooth Sailings

Fun For All and All For Fun Loungin" Laughin" and Libations"

Happy ThanksGiving.

Gary

Thanks, Gary, for the information. I did call Viking and the phone rep had no more information than was in the email. I didn't find that to be satisfactory, and even though staying in Lyon will probably be nice, it does cut out a significant chunk of cruising the river which, after all, is the point.

We haven't been to this part of France so it's all new to us. Enjoy your trip!

Since most cruising is actually done at night I don't think that you will really be missing the point. River cruising is more about the destinations than the cruising itself; on most itineraries very little cruising is actually done during the day.

We did the South of France cruise with Scenic last year and I must admit I cannot remember Macon. I agree with Gary & Lisa, Lone Star, the Viking boats are deeper drafted then the Scenic vessels this could be the technical problem or the amount of available moorings there are far less then for example the Rhine or Danube at some points only one, there are more being built but these take time. It is a wonderful cruise and one I would happily do again but next time when the weather was cooler temperatures of 30 degrees and above for most of the time was both wonderful and tiring at the same time. Lyon is a superb city I really enjoyed our visit to the Paul Bocuse Institute. Regardless of the so called technical problems enjoy your cruise. CA

We did the South of France cruise with Scenic last year and I must admit I cannot remember Macon. I agree with Gary & Lisa, Lone Star, the Viking boats are deeper drafted then the Scenic vessels this could be the technical problem or the amount of available moorings there are far less then for example the Rhine or Danube at some points only one, there are more being built but these take time. It is a wonderful cruise and one I would happily do again but next time when the weather was cooler temperatures of 30 degrees and above for most of the time was both wonderful and tiring at the same time. Lyon is a superb city I really enjoyed our visit to the Paul Bocuse Institute. Regardless of the so called technical problems enjoy your cruise. CA

Thanks. I'm sure we will. :)

Hey there Canal and how are the two of you doing? Have your bags packed and ready to go if you win the Lotto??

Just getting ready to celebrate our Thanksgiving next week and also getting ready to get the Christmas Decorations out and possibly have the outside decorated and ready for Thursday evening the 24 and start of the Holiday Season. So ready for The Turkey and Dressing and Ham and all the delicious fixings that go with it. Got our Airfare taken care of with Scenic and flying British Airways. Only problem is in coming back shall have about a 6 hour layover at Heathrow.

Hi Lisa & Gary, wishing you a great Thanksgiving, yes already thinking of Christmas, quilting a table runner at the moment hope I will be finished on time. We have a few hours layover in Amsterdam on our return from Budapest. Still you lucky things your flying my favourite aireline and We've flown loads the choice is between British Airways and Singapore Airlines is very close. Mind you 6 hours is a long time. Hope you are in the lounge, those were the days before he who must be obeyed retired. CA

The Rhone is a wonderful itinerary, and of all the ports Lyon is absolutely the most interesting -- so IMHO extra time there is a plus. There are Roman ruins, there is a vibrant modern culinary scene founded by Paul Bocuse on top of an existing rustic bouchon restaurant scene, there are still silk ateliers [we visited two in different parts of the city], there is a nightlife scene in Vieux Lyon -- and a great tram and subway system that links it all easily for the tourist.

My husband and I just returned on Wed (yikes, jet lag be gone!) from the Rhone. We were on Viking Avignon to Lyon.

We were unable to sail on up to Macon due to high water on the Soare river and the captain told everyone during the Daily Briefing that there was no way he was risking the ship trying to go under low bridges. I'm thinking the accident earlier this year has resulted in greater caution.

We enjoyed our day in Lyon-- my hubby had come down with a serious head cold during our trip (along with half the boat) so we opted not to take the side trips offered. Those that went said it was great, and that bussing was no big deal.

My bigger gripe was that taking this trip in November was a kind of a waste. Everything is closed. I appreciate that it's end of season and that's why we got such a good deal, but I think Viking should skip the end of season deals and just cut this cruise short like they do Windmills and Tulips. Every little gorgeous town was shuttered up and we didn't do any real shopping or poking around in shops til we got to Lyon.

I will add, we didn't realize (bad research on our part--we just jumped on the shiny offer) that we were in France over Armistace. That's a big three day holiday weekend so that didn't help matters. Beautiful countryside, gorgeous sightseeing but not much to do.

We cruised Lyon to Avignon with Viking in August. When we arrived we were told the river levels were too high for us to cruise to Macon so the advertised excursions were bus trips from Lyon. I read on these pages that several 2016 cruises had missed Macon.

Our Viking cruised missed another port and city walk for obscure navigational reasons announced in French by the captain and translated by the hotel manager in a manner that left no room for questioning. Not good for anyone who had made private arrangements in either town.

Viking is now informing passengers in advance, which is an improvement on our previous cruises where Viking treated passengers like mushrooms, kept in the dark as long as possible. We have learnt to put our brains in neutral, accept whatever is dished out, enjoy the company of our fellow cruisers and, pre and post cruise, we explore the region independently to see the bits the cruise leaves out.

Our Viking cruise director was exceptionally good, the local guides were excellent to very good, the food quality was high, cabins comfortable, destinations delightful. Lyon is one of the most delightful cities I have visited and we enjoyed it as much, maybe more than Paris. It is a little like Prague, with a flat city area, a river and a cathedral on the hill overlooking the city. The centre of the city is a pleasant walk from the usual dock at Quai Claude Bernard, public transport is very easy to use; good maps available from Tourist Information Centre.

The Viking ships are larger than others on the Rhone; they cannot dock at Arles so there is a bus trip from Tarascon and return to Avignon where our cruise terminated. For us, the time the cruise spent in Avignon and Arles was adequate but we are delighted we spent extra days in Lyon and a week driving ourselves in Provence after the cruise.