First time on Oasis OTS... lots of questions (help calm my fears!)

karenemily

Hey y'all!

We are diamond members with RCI... but we have never been on anything bigger than Freedom, and that was not a happy cruise for us. So when the hubs decided to book the Oasis I had a melt down. We are a family of 4 (hubs, me, 16 yr old daughter, 14 yr old son).

I like to fly by the seat of my pants and it seems that I have to "book" everything on Oasis. We are on deck 12 cabin 12311. I got to pick the location and now I'm scared that we won't have a view of the water and that we won't be happy. We leave this weekend! Please please help calm my fears! For those who love Oasis, this is your time to shine... tell me why you love it. Tell me what makes you want to come back to it sailing after sailing.Share your pictures (would love to see views from where I will be staying).

My fears:

getting lost and not being able to find my family when I need them

finding food without lines (I HATE crowds! I know leaving shows is way crowed but I'm scare EVERYTHING will feel that way)

not finding somewhere near the pool to sit (down side to my favorite ship is that they really don't move towels that have been sitting forever)

no view from our balcony, and that table chair set up... I prefer a lounger so I can recline

not getting to see the shows I want to see because I didn't book them

service not being up to the standards we are used to on the smaller ships

So please help me be ready to roll this weekend!

We sailed on Allure 2 weeks ago which was our first ship bigger than Adventure and I had some of the same concerns. WE LOVED IT! The ship never seemed crowded (except $10 sale on royal promenade)

We also made all our show reservation's prior to the cruise but we didn't feel obligated to that schedule. We simply didn't show up at one, and modified our reservation for another. Honestly, other than the comedy show we probably would have been OK without making any reservations.

As for the boardwalk balcony, it wouldn't be my first choice, but we had 2 separate friends in boardwalk cabins and I was really surprised how much I liked the idea after seeing them.

I would expect that the crowds will be light given the time of year you will be boarding, relax, it will be great!

In short, we loved our 1st O-Class cruise and would absolutely do one again! The dining options and entertainment options were fantastic and the kiddos will enjoy all the on board activities!

Hey y'all!

We are diamond members with RCI... but we have never been on anything bigger than Freedom, and that was not a happy cruise for us. So when the hubs decided to book the Oasis I had a melt down. We are a family of 4 (hubs, me, 16 yr old daughter, 14 yr old son).

I like to fly by the seat of my pants and it seems that I have to "book" everything on Oasis. We are on deck 12 cabin 12311. I got to pick the location and now I'm scared that we won't have a view of the water and that we won't be happy. We leave this weekend! Please please help calm my fears! For those who love Oasis, this is your time to shine... tell me why you love it. Tell me what makes you want to come back to it sailing after sailing.Share your pictures (would love to see views from where I will be staying).

My fears:

finding food without lines (I HATE crowds! I know leaving shows is way crowed but I'm scare EVERYTHING will feel that way)

not finding somewhere near the pool to sit (down side to my favorite ship is that they really don't move towels that have been sitting forever)

no view from our balcony, and that table chair set up... I prefer a lounger so I can recline

If you check the Oasis deck plans for deck 12 you will see that cabin 12311 which you say you booked appears to be a Boardwalk balcony aft. You will have a view of the Boardwalk below you and also a view of the AQUATHEATER.

Seriously doubt there will be a lounge on the balcony. Most likely 2 chairs and maybe small table.

Arrange times and places to meet up with family and leave messages on phone or notes in cabin for one another.

Nothing to fear but fear itself. Relax and go with the flow and enjoy your family time together exploring the ship.

Hey y'all!

My fears:

Sounds like you are leaving on the November 20th sailing like us. Have you joined the roll call? This is our first Oasis of the Seas trip (2nd RCI cruise, 7th overall). I've enjoyed looking at the videos online, especially the periscope video tours. It has made me feel more comfortable with the ship layout and excited to be on board. We have 3 boys (17,15,11) and we will have the internet package on our iPhones so we can IM each other and know where the kids are. We have always had a rule that they let us know what area of the ship they are in, and notify us if they go somewhere else (a bit mama bear of me). We also keep in touch by using ship phones and leaving messages in the cabin for others to retrieve.

We absolutely LOVED our cruise on Oasis and booked it again for next April. There is so many places on the ship so people were very evenly spread out and we never once felt crowded. They have organized this ship in such a way that there is plenty of space for everyone. We loved central park esp. at night and was once of our favorite places to people watch. It is so pretty at night just to stroll and take in the quietness and beauty of ship. I think you will absolutely love this ship. They have it fine tuned down to a science. :)

We were on Allure, but very similar to Oasis

My fears:

THere are these amazing interactive maps all over the place. So you'll need to figure out what works for you (e.g. set up a meeting time and place to meet up again), but I'm sure it'll work out fine.

[

There are so many options that you'l find something. The same interactive maps around the ship and in your stateroom will list the crowd levels. Pretty neat...so you can go to one that is less busy.

We had no issues finding chairs.

we didn't have a balcony so can't comment

I didn't attend the comedy club but have been told that's the only one you need to really book to be sure you get a seat as the venue is small. Went to all other shows and there were tons of seats. For us, we pre-booked but we like sitting upfront (aside from teh Aqua show as you can get wet for that one), but if you are flexible with seating, then you should be fine getting in with no reservation.

The Oasis class is amazing. Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by LuCruise

Hey y'all!

My fears:

Why would you cruise ??? with so MANY issues.

OP, all will be fine and you will have a wonderful time. We sailed the Allure and are sailing Oasis in Dec. As has been posted, not that hard to find your way.

Join that roll call as invited and maybe your children can meet the other 3 teens and all will be great.

Relax, enjoy and above all go with the flow.

Karen.

I'll try and calm your fears. I haven't read all your replies yet.

I like to fly by the seat of my pants and it seems that I have to "book" everything on Oasis. We are on deck 12 cabin 12311.

All of my cruises on this class of ship have been deck 12, great location for kids and pool loving people.

My fears:

You're are showing some wisdom here and a little planning goes a long way. This is true, but knowledge will help you. When you leave a show everyone heads to the closest elevator. If you need to go to the other end of the ship and a higher deck, do the walking to the other end first and then

take the elevator, or if your able use the stairs. The stairs are full of interesting artwork. The Oasis class artwork has become a favorite thing for me and I am not the artsy type.

art.jpg

The towel

What didn't you like about your cruise on Freedom? If you are into entertainment, the Oasis ships bring it to a whole new level. The Aqua Theater is amazing. You don't necessarily have to do any planning if you don't want to but it does help to ensure that you will get everything in that you want to do. I did not like the idea of having to do any planning either. But it is much easier to figure out how to fit in all the shows when you are sitting home with a planner than trying to figure it out once you are aboard the ship.

As for crowds, other than when shows are letting out there really is not much crowding at all. That is hard to believe with 5600 guests plus crew aboard but you will just have to experience it for your self to believe it.

Maybe instead of all this fear you should enjoy the anticipation of a new experience. The Oasis class ships are very different from any RCI ships that came before them.

We just got off our first Oasis cruise (after 32 others) so just a few tidbits:

1) we had an ocean balcony. Would not have a Boardwalk one "just because for us" however saying that you will have plenty to see and watch people....a good thing....and off past the Aquatheater yes you will see water

2) Diamond Lounge is 2 levels ..... will be crowded so depending on your dinner time "plan" between the 2 dinner times is the easiest....enter on deck 11 midship

3) enjoy the Central Park area at night.....listen to the entertainment.....

4) Pool area....on port day....we had 2 pools totally by ourselves for an hour in each....BY OURSELVES! seemed other times plenty of chairs

5) enjoy the upper decks....15 and 16 ... for a quiet spot try deck 5 (take stairs next to Aquatheater and go sit along the walking track).....Solarium also age 16 and up is a good place to sit

6) FAVORITE breakfast spots were....Wipe Out Cafe and Johnnys Rockets (free then). Wipe Out Cafe by far

7) FAVORITE lunch spots were....Park Cafe and Solarium Bistro

Shows we enjoyed: (and remember you can go stand by to them if space)

Aquatheater....you might can see this one from your room

Come Fly With Me was pretty nice

The Frozen in Time...ice skating we enjoyed

Comedy we didn't make it to that one

Cats-were told by everyone including crew we would sleep thru it so didn't go

We were on for the 8 day run and only got off once and never had problems with seating, people watching (will say deck 5 promenade gets a bit frantic at times so don't let that snag you up!), eating and no lines. Only ate Windjammer once (not our favorite on this ship.....love it on Radiance class). And No dining room (our choice).

Hope this little bit helps. Ask questions.

Lou

Nice post Lou. You answered one of my questions too. Thanks

Another thing I remembered OP is when we sailed the Allure we were with 2 other couples and one lady had to see and do everything and this exhausted us. Print the deck plans and decide what you really want to do and save the other things for your next Oasis class cruise.

For our Dec. 2016 cruise we only plan to do/see what we feel up to doing. We do have show reservations but may or may not go. We also have 3 night specialty dining package and that will be a high light. We too have a Boardwalk balcony and plan to watch Aquatheater shows from cabin balcony.

So glad some kind, gentle members answered you with some great advice.

Again, enjoy your family time and all will we well.

We've been on Oasis twice (August 2015 and June 2016) and loved it. Last time we had a boardwalk balcony on the 12th floor. We were only 1 in from the aft so we could see the ocean- you'll have limited views but the 12th floor was really convenient to the pools.

We never had a problems getting a chair at the chlorine pools. The saltwater pool was usually packed with adults just hanging out and drinking in the pool. It looked fun but we have a 10 year old who wanted to swim - she hated the salt water so it worked out perfect for us. Pools were empty during port days. One tip I have is that the sports pool has chairs in the shade (towards the windjammer). We silly all met up there since no one wanted to be in the sun too much.

Oasis is my favorite RCL ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Having been on Oasis and Allure I can attest that despite the large number of passengers, it really doesn't feel crowded. I can't speak for the Windjammer because I never sat foot inside on either cruise. There are just so many other options. Now on boarding day the usual areas will likely be packed but by day 2 or so people kind of find their thing and spread out around the ship.

When it comes to reservations, the only absolute must is the comedy club and maybe the ice show (unless you're the type who just want to be among the first inside the theater). Those with reservations go in first, and then those without are allowed in so if you're just cool with sitting somewhere in the theater you'll likely be ok. Many people stress and fret over reservations and then no show because once onboard they find other things to do or whatever.

I would think your teens would enjoy it because there's just so much to see, do and explore.

Sounds like you are leaving on the November 20th sailing like us. Have you joined the roll call? This is our first Oasis of the Seas trip (2nd RCI cruise, 7th overall). I've enjoyed looking at the videos online, especially the periscope video tours. It has made me feel more comfortable with the ship layout and excited to be on board. We have 3 boys (17,15,11) and we will have the internet package on our iPhones so we can IM each other and know where the kids are. We have always had a rule that they let us know what area of the ship they are in, and notify us if they go somewhere else (a bit mama bear of me). We also keep in touch by using ship phones and leaving messages in the cabin for others to retrieve.

Where are you finding periscope video tours???

Thank you so much Lou and others for the constructive responses. They have really helped me so much. I hope to find some periscopes that have been posted about the ship or her sisters. I would love to see them. As I said we have cruised many many times but always on the smallest ships.

As for why I'm all of a sudden worried, I have an autistic teen. He was diagnosed THIS September! I have a WHOLE new world of things that we have to watch out for. Yes we thought that he was different but with an IQ of 129 he is more rain man than no verbal. He has always done well on the smaller ships. We believe that it is his ability to quickly get around and the staff for us has always been wonderful. We were on Freedom in March and we had BIG issues with the staff being rude to us and him. There were times that he just couldn't handle things and would melt down. The teen staff was the worst. It was as if they poked and prodded him into melt downs. What I don't know is if his problems with melt downs were because of the size of the ship or not. Now that we are just days away from the trip all of this anxiety is setting in. The size of the ship and trying to help him be ready is top priority and those who offered their experiences really help me be able to share with him.

Again, thank you for your help!

There's a very cool little movie theater by the kids club that showed movies that are autism family friendly a few times during the week - the movies might be young for him but check out what they're playing. I don't know much about autism but I think they lower the volume so it's not overpowering (if he's sensitive to that)?

There's a very cool little movie theater by the kids club that showed movies that are autism family friendly a few times during the week - the movies might be young for him but check out what they're playing. I don't know much about autism but I think they lower the volume so it's not overpowering (if he's sensitive to that)?

Thank you for letting me know. And with many on the autism spectrum noise is a factor. For him it's getting through muster and then the ships horn for the most part. We have been very lucky there.

With a kid on the spectrum, you may need to alter you fly by pants cruise style and do some pre-planning to alleviate some of yours and his anxiety.

As you mentioned, the muster drill is tough on him as it takes place in a crowded and confined space. What you may want to do is arrive at the muster drill early and explain your situation to the workers there and ask to be seated in a quieter section of the area.

For the sail away, don’t hang out around the top deck with all the people and possibility of the ship horn going off next to his ears. Instead go down to deck 5 by the running track of the Promenade deck and do the sail away there. The area is not as wide open as other ships but if you walk around, you can find some open spots to look out.

Then on the daily compass, you will need to be on the lookout for activities that could be potentially noisy and crowded and stay away from those areas. Sometimes a little pre planning can go a long ways to avoid potential melt down situations.

There are special needs forums on other parts of the cruise critic’s boards. You can go there and ask for other parents with special needs kids for their advice.

As for your questions on not booking the shows, I believe they save a small percentage of seats that you can book as soon as you get on board (yes, you need to be organized on what you need to do once boarding). Since you have the boardwalk balcony, you can see the water show from there if you want to avoid the crowd inside the theater. We had the similar balcony on the Starboard side on the Allure couple years ago.

Here are few pictures to give you an idea on what the view looks like. If you want more pictures, click on the link under my signature but don’t read the entire trip report. You won’t have enough time before you depart as it’s overly long. Just glance through the various pictures to have an idea on what to expect in your upcoming week.

Hope you folks have a great cruise.

15995837329_0b9a37ce37_z.jpg

15628588003_bedaee1be2_z.jpg

16083542237_b7146047be_z.jpg

16060934358_7d17542237_z.jpg

15828083263_3cdd725639_z.jpg

16261885569_bfdffe5556_z.jpg

Lovely pics above, we have sailed on her twice and apart from the WJ on day 1 and the muster drill it never felt crowded to us.

For quieter places to eat we loved the Solarium bistro, the wipeout cafe, Park cafe and Johnny Rockets, but we do tend to be up early when there are less crowds.

They do have information on the screens around the ship that show how busy each venue it.

Hope this helps and you have a wonderful cruise.

We LOVE the Oasis class ships for these reasons:

1 - Excellent options for dining

2 - Diverse Entertainment

3 - The way they handle the amount of people is excellent

4 - Central Park is a experience unlike any other on a ship

5 - I love the various places to be at, like the solarium, royal prom, etc..

6 - The stabilizers help make the ship be pretty smooth all week

7 - There are plenty of places to see the water, my favorite room on this class ship is def. the central park...

8 - Boardwalk is nice, aqua theater is amazing

I just LOVE this class of ship and I think it's hard to go on any other ship

after this experience... it def has the WOW factor...

I have been on over 20 ships... OASIS CLASS is my fav. I'll be on Harmony Jan 7