Walk up booking the day the ship leaves

andrewmcp

Has anyone ever walked up to the port hoping to book their cruise to leave that day? If so did you get a better deal then you would have if you booked months in advance?

How does that work and has anyone done that in Cape Liberty or Baltimore?

Has anyone ever walked up to the port hoping to book their cruise to leave that day? If so did you get a better deal then you would have if you booked months in advance?

How does that work and has anyone done that in Cape Liberty or Baltimore?

in this post 9/11 universe, that is not even a remote possibility.

most lines allow you to book the night before by calling directly( not online). I believe Carnival lets you call the day of, before noon.

if you do not have a booking number you will not be allowed to enter the terminal at all. the staff there do not and cannot handle purchases.

but there are no discounts. you will pay the going rate.

Edited by spookwife

I was shocked earlier this year when I called Carnival to ask a question about Galveston cruises, and they said, do you want to cruise tomorrow? I was shocked. I said what's the latest I could book and she said 10 am the day of sailing. Again, I cruise mostly RC so I was shocked. So, it can be done. Some cruise lines just choose not to do it.

Edited by internetwhiz

• 3 months later...
Hhhmmm I dont think it is a

cruise line regulation. Home Land Security shut down the late bookings? I know you used to be able to do this but not now. Me thinks booking agents can tell you lots of things and have never sailed on a ship.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Forums mobile app

No, DHS has nothing to do with late bookings. The only time DHS sees the passenger information is when the manifest is sent to them just prior to sailing. The problem is that the staff at the terminal are not ticket agents like at an airport, they are just there to do data entry of your ID information into the passenger manifest. They have absolutely no ability to sell or even upsell a cabin. This is strictly a cruise line decision, and many have taken advantage of Carnival's morning of sailing bookings. You must do it by phone, however, you cannot do it at the pier or online.

• 3 weeks later...

Never forget 9-11 I really would not feel safe knowing a Cruise line is letting people come to a ship and attempt same day purchase. Let there be some time to check things out!! Safe cruising over Deals. I M H O Thanks

Never forget 9-11 I really would not feel safe knowing a Cruise line is letting people come to a ship and attempt same day purchase. Let there be some time to check things out!! Safe cruising over Deals. I M H O Thanks

Actually, no one is "checked out" prior to the ship leaving port. The cruise line does not do background checks, and they do not submit passenger information to CBP prior to sailing. The reason that CBP allows you to cruise on a birth certificate and driver's license, when you can't do any other kind of international travel on this documentation is because they have 4-7 days to vet you, not the mere hours available for air travel. I could book an airline flight a year in advance, or the same day as I travel, and there would be no difference in the background check done prior to me getting on the plane.

We booked a terrific deal about 2 yrs ago on Navigator when she was here the night before sailing. They advertised it on line. Too good a price to pass up, we took our Nlaws. It was whirlwind! I booked an interior, did not know the cabin # until we pulled into Galveston the next morning and was pleasantly surprised with a Virtual Balcony.

Just looked back at the pictures, it was Feb. 2014.