Spam on Roll calls or am I paranoid?

Then you have also given out your email address,to the world?

I really think that PM- personal message feature would be better but of course its not activated on CC, not sure why?

I guess i have;)

Yes, wish they had PM's

They used to have PM's on Cruise Critic , but it had be abandoned as trolls where using the service to attack posters in a very viscous way.

When I joined all those years ago , this site was still recovering from a severe hacking attack and so many additional security features were put in place that may impinge on some freedoms , but overall have seen the on going use of this site for all.

Also at least two on my next major cruise: "

Hi Everyone! I am sailing on this cruise and looking forward to chatting with all of you! "

Interestingly one of their post count shows "0" so I guess cc has given the big ban, though oddly their post remains. The other shows the 1.

This is one of the oddities that I have found as well.

The person on our Rollcall replied....

"I'm Capps and just joined CruiseCritic. Since all I've done on the site is click on the rollcall button for the trip, this must be the default message that the website automatically inserts. If the same message appears regularly with different user names, that's the likely reason"

interesting if it is something new on CC??

Perhaps, it must be a new feature and only available with some apps perhaps.

I keep an email link on my signature which is primarily for roll call threads and excursions organised. It would be much easier to pm members, as I'm sure many don't subscribe to their roll call thread. That can be frustrating.

Sure I get some junk mail (whether my address has been gleaned from this website I'm not sure), but there's a button that solves the problem.

Likewise (just for Travel), it gets a bit of junk mail but no more than the other email addresses that I have.

Hey thats the same as the one on ours.....and I welcomed them:p

I welcomed someone with the very same post too.

On ours the OP "I" responded back listing his and his wife's their first names and chatted a bit about how excited they were about the cruise.

They were very interested in attending the M&G.

Edited by OCruisers

I welcomed someone with the very same post too.

On ours the OP "I" responded back listing his and his wife's their first names and chatted a bit about how excited they were about the cruise.

They were very interested in attending the M&G.

Okay, so it seems they are not spam but it is a default or a prompted response after joining and going to a roll call. I have just had one person on our latest roll call confirm the same.

Okay, so it seems they are not spam but it is a default or a prompted response after joining and going to a roll call. I have just had one person on our latest roll call confirm the same.

They apparently are not ... but I do still sort of wonder. ;)

LuLu

Just noticed we have one on our roll call too. The message has been posted twice by the same person and their post count still says zero. I guess there are still some glitches in the system..I don't think I like the idea of 'someone' posting on my behalf.

Just noticed we have one on our roll call too. The message has been posted twice by the same person and their post count still says zero. I guess there are still some glitches in the system..I don't think I like the idea of 'someone' posting on my behalf.

Very strange having '0' posts.

Very strange having '0' posts.

and some that have the same "greeting" on rollcalls have 10 or more posts and look to have posted before that greeting post on other threads......so not their first posts, obviously has something to do with reading a Rollcall:eek:

Just saying, some people may initially join, sit back watch the chat and decide no this is not for me. I guess the next step is to let the roll call know of this decision.

The first thing we do when we get to our cabin is remove the name tag. Our cabin, Our sanctuary . We also do it for other reasons.

We simply cannot believe the personal information given by cruisers, pre-cruise on roll- calls.

We generally join, subscribe to the thread, and then watch the chat once or twice a week thereafter.

We'll post if we have something to contribute, but generally we don't want to over clutter the thread.

They are popping up on the roll calls that I am on. I thought it was a little crazy allowing Juniors on the board and wondered why CC wouldn't have a separate thread for Junior Members.

Cheers

Di

Just views Radiance for 3 Dec.

Now I'll click the join button for the next one. 26 Dec.

Edited by GUT2407

They are popping up on the roll calls that I am on. I thought it was a little crazy allowing Juniors on the board and wondered why CC wouldn't have a separate thread for Junior Members.

Cheers

Di

I think junior may have to do with the amount of posts not the age of the person.

Okay after some experimentation we have worked it out.

When people join from the main Cruise Critic page (not the forums page) http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/community/

if they then go to the 'Find your roll call' button it takes you to http://www.cruisecritic.com.au/rollcalls/

you then fill out the cruise particulars of cruise company, ship and month and

then go to the particular roll call on the right hand side is a button that says, 'I am sailing'.

This automatically sends that default response, unbeknown to the person unless they then go and read the roll call itself.

In my opinion, this a fault as many people do not know they have posted, they think they have joined a roll call but may not get any proper confirmation of the fact if they do not follow it up directly.

Edited by MicCanberra

which just creates another post - let us all let this thread post malarky

die a quick death

/die .......

Actually it doesn't add another post which is why some people have '0' posts and yet have joined one or more roll calls.

Edited by MicCanberra

MMhhh, I still believe that people should be conscious of personal info they post.

But she's a free world.

I agree, lots of personal info is shared too willingly, especially when all put into a spreadsheet or other type document with in the roll call.