Amsterdam Hotel search

woody14h

Will be staying post cruise in May for 2 extra days. Having never been to Amsterdam, I am looking for assistance in deciding on a convenient area to stay which might enable us to sight-see, dine, and canal cruise without traveling distances. I will be able to narrow down a hotel, airbnb, inn, or Bed and Breakfast once we have some idea of areas to search. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you. Thinking City Central is good but there must be other secret or not so secret areas to stay as well. P.S. don't want to spend a fortune for a 5 star hotel as well.

I'd take a look at hotels near Centraal Station as most ships dock near this area. We recently stayed at the Crown Plaza, a five minute walk from CS. You may find your ship is docked near the Movenpick Hotel which is not in the city center.. On the upside, taxis are not expensive so it's easy to ask your hotel to arrange a taxi pickup to take you to your ship. Also it's easy enough to get around the city via tram and Amsterdam is very walkable. Enjoy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We liked the Barbizon Palace good location near the train station & trams

Get the tram day pass if you plan to go to some of the museums further out

We walked most places & lots of restaurant in the central area

check out the ports of call forum

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=233

We used priceline to get a good deal on hotel about $100 for a 4-5 * hotel

enjoy

We have pretty much traveled the world and stayed in some amazing hotels and I can tell you right now that the Banks Mansion is the best hotel we have ever stayed in. It is also the most centrally located hotel I can imagine.

In our Cruise Critic roll call last summer for our British Isles cruise on Celebrity's Silhouette there were a number of folks who stayed at the Banks and a number of folks who stayed near the port. Almost to a man all of the ones who stayed near the port wished they had stayed closer to the center of the city. That's why we loved the Banks. You can walk anyplace from there including the port (if you like to walk as I do).

The best thing I can do is offer my review (that comes with pictures) that you will find by CLICKING HERE. Just click the Amsterdam menu bar item to read about our five days there and the Banks Mansion.

Have a great time. Amsterdam is an AWESOME city.

Jim

Most convenient location would be on or near Damrak, between Centraal Station and Dam Square.

Or for a quieter & more attractive but still convenient canal-side location, try a few streets over to the west eg on Singel or Brouwersgracht.

10 minutes further west, Jordaan is known for its restaurants, but it's too far to be considered for a convenient base.

To the east, eg along Achterburgwal, is the "red light" district - not as seedy as you might think, an area where couples and families promenade in the evenings & you should do the same, but you might feel a little uncomfortable lodging there.

I don't know Banks Mansion - it's a ten-minute walk south of Dam Square and a further 10 mins to Centraal Station so I wouldn't consider it "convenient". But you might reckon that minor inconvenience worthwhile in view of the glowing reports on this thread.

The attractive old buildings, especially those fronting the canals, are tall & narrow with steep and narrow stairs. If you choose one, make sure it has an elevator if you have luggage or even moderate mobility issues.

Just MHO as always

JB :)

Most convenient location would be on or near Damrak, between Centraal Station and Dam Square.

Or for a quieter & more attractive but still convenient canal-side location, try a few streets over to the west eg on Singel or Brouwersgracht.

10 minutes further west, Jordaan is known for its restaurants, but it's too far to be considered for a convenient base.

To the east, eg along Achterburgwal, is the "red light" district - not as seedy as you might think, an area where couples and families promenade in the evenings & you should do the same, but you might feel a little uncomfortable lodging there.

I don't know Banks Mansion - it's a ten-minute walk south of Dam Square and a further 10 mins to Centraal Station so I wouldn't consider it "convenient". But you might reckon that minor inconvenience worthwhile in view of the glowing reports on this thread.

The attractive old buildings, especially those fronting the canals, are tall & narrow with steep and narrow stairs. If you choose one, make sure it has an elevator if you have luggage or even moderate mobility issues.

Just MHO as always

Thank you for this advice. Previous hotel recommends sounded great but a little too pricey for our budget. Knowing these areas will help me tremendously to narrow down a reasonable hotel/inn/bandb.

Woody14h, have you ever used Priceline Name Your Own Price? If you're up for the adventure, you may get a good hotel at a good price. Just a suggestion

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We have used Priceline many times. Two factors against for this trip. 1.) Non cancellable and 2.) not familiar with the location. If I knew the area prescribed in Priceline I might venture to try it. Hence the reason for recommends of areas to search.

John Bull was most helpful. Any other suggested areas of convenience would also be appreciated.

May is a rather busy season in Amsterdam, also due to the tulip season and some holidays. Remember Amsterdam is rather compact, nothing is realy far away and public transport is excellent.

Why not use hotels.com or booking.com to search for a hotel. Those sites give you detailed information about where the hotel is, what they offer, of course price etc and also you will find reviews by others.

In case you still have questions about a hotel, please come back to this site.

we only book 4 or 5* hotels some have refundable deals

Check zone 15 or 11 maybe 6

also check better bidding site to see what others are getting price wise

book a refundable hotel then closer to your cruise start bidding on PL

At least that way you will have a place should the bidding not work for you

Dam Square-Central station or Jordaan area are good places to start

Based on your kind recommendations, we have booked the Rokin Hotel through Booking.com. There seems to be a consensus that it is a reasonable priced, centrally located choice and cancellable. If someone has as adverse opinion, I'd be more than happy to hear it. Thank you all for allowing us to use CC for its intended purpose.

Based on your kind recommendations, we have booked the Rokin Hotel through Booking.com. There seems to be a consensus that it is a reasonable priced, centrally located choice and cancellable. If someone has as adverse opinion, I'd be more than happy to hear it. Thank you all for allowing us to use CC for its intended purpose.

I do wonder about the roadworks that I see on google street-view outside the hotel on Rokin, and mentioned in several reviews on booking.com's site.

They may be long-term works for a metro station. :confused:

There's usually a link on booking.com's confirmation e-mails to contact the hotel, & it's probably worth asking if the works will still be there for your date, and if so can you have a room at the rear.

There are those steep (and probably narrow) stairs that I mentioned in my first post - and no mention of an elevator. But hey, that's part of staying in a traditional Amsterdam property.

BTW, see on this street-view the way the front of your hotel & other buildings lean forward

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.3704975,4.8926203,3a,75y,40.12h,136.4t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJJ0oRUfYzLmCuEGgmozJFw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

It's not an optical illusion, they were deliberately built that way so that furniture or goods can be hoisted & delivered through the windows. And it's still done that way - I once watched someone moving house. :cool:

Small rooms by US standards, but par for the course in Europe.

But nothing onerous that I can see about the hotel, and generally favourable reviews.

And the location is pretty convenient, other than perhaps a little further from the train station (for airport) than I'd like, about a 15 minute level walk.

We use booking.com a lot - stacks of info, photos, accurate location maps, genuine reviews. And excellent service.

The only negative is that they have ........ errrrr.... "optimistic" ..... currency conversion rates. Switch the prices on their website to Euros & do your own conversion to USD. Usually about 5% more than their figure.

If the weather's fine I recommend one of the small open boats for a canal tour, rather than the glassed-in ones. About the same money, unobstructed views / photos / videos, more personal (about 20 passengers), live interactive commentary, access to canals too small for the big 'uns, no noise or fumes - they're electric.

https://www.canal.nl/en/open-boat-tours

But no fun in the rain. :(

So rather than pre-book, it's probably better to call in at their pier (10 mins toward central station) in the morning - take a trip there & then if available, or book for later in the day.

If you want to visit the Ann Frank house (15 min walk from your hotel), do pre-book a timed visit - those turning up on-spec usually face very long lines.

Edited by John Bull

There are those steep (and probably narrow) stairs that I mentioned in my first post - and no mention of an elevator. But hey, that's part of staying in a traditional Amsterdam property.

JB a couple of booking sites do mention a lift in the amenities

their site mentions an elevator

http://www.rokinhotel.com/

whether they go to the rooms is another story ;)

Edited by LHT28

JB a couple of booking sites do mention a lift in the amenities

their site mentions an elevator

http://www.rokinhotel.com/

whether they go to the rooms is another story ;)

Ooops.

My bad. :o

Yes, mentioned on booking.com's site as well, though I had to hunt for it.

Just the one word.

Knowing it's often a problem in Amsterdam, they really ought to print it in three-foot-high letters ;)

I have emailed the property re metro station and requested rear rooms.. We did book via Booking.com. We are so pleased about your input. You are right re. elevators. In Venice once we lugged suitcases up 4 flights on narrow staircases. Too old for that now.