Oasis of the Seas-does it always "dock" on the starboard side?

We are people watchers and have cruised many times. So sometimes do not get off ship instead watching the port and the people.

Well we just did the Oasis of the Seas and love to be on the port side. BUT, each time we docked at any port we docked with the starboard side at the dock. Now, on other ships (32 of them!) sometimes we dock on each side. But this time.....was only starboard.

So when you sailed the Oasis or Allure for example does it always do a starboard side next to the dock? If so, we may change rooms.

Thanks for any info!

Lou

My last cruise in Oasis we had five ports, three were starboard. But it can be any, it is not decided by the captain but by the port authority and it is not even consistent in each port. One time it might be starboard the next port. That said I normally book starboard. I booked starboard on allure for three ports, it docked port side all three.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

New to cruising... what's starboard side?

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Forums mobile app

When facing forward starboard is the right side, port is to the left. Easy to remember port and left both have 4 letters.

To the OP, the Oasis class ships are built to dock on the starboard side, however do need to dock port periodically as Bob mentioned. Chances are pretty good they will dock starboard. The same can't be said for other classes.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Starboard docking is essentially the way the ship was built. When boarding via a jetway, on each side there are openings in the railing where the jetway can be connected, and 2 openings through the shops and cafes where you can walk into the Promenade. On the starboard side they are lined up so you walk from the gangway straight across the jogging track and into the Promenade, while on the port side and they are in different places. I was on the Allure TA from Rome, and one of my roll call members stayed on for the mini-cruise that followed. The ship docked to port at the end of the mini-cruise and she reported she had to leave through the theater and walk probably a couple hundred yards along the jogging track to get to the gangway.

At other ports where you go straight from the dock onto the ship there is an escalator on the starboard side that takes you up to the Promenade. There is only an escalator on the Starboard side, so if you enter on the port side you have to walk through some normally crew areas to get to the elevator or escalator.

Roy

Yes on most ships we back in one time then forward in the next so no rhyme or reason for the choice to us passengers at that time. Was just odd on this one with Costa Maya, Cozumel, Falmouth and Labadee we did end up starboard on all.

We just went to places to see that side which was fine. Our sea views were as always fantastic1

Lou

If looking for people watching in port know that both the Oasis and Quantum class were designed and built to dock exclusively on the Starboard side. As has been mentioned for lifeboat testing and other required maintenance they may have to go against what's best and dock port side, but that is not the normal or preferred way. While the Oasis class has the escalators, the Quantum class actually has an entire security screening room onboard that looks like the Oasis class modules the ports had to install. So if you sail Oasis of the Seas, Allure of the Seas, Harmony of the Seas, Quantum of the Seas, Anthem of the Seas, or Ovation of the seas make sure you are on the starboard side.

• 3 weeks later...

Oasis in Nassau. They typically dock starboard as others have said, but they can and do dock port sometimes as well. I think it just depends on the ports and most of the Oasis ports seem to lean towards starboard side. We certainly did not walk down the jogging track to get off in Nassau. We went to deck 1 or whatever and right off as normal. So it's designed for starboard when using the jetways but at normal caribbean ports, it's irrelevant.

oasis_nassau.jpg

Does anyone know if there are escalators on both sides or are they only on the starboard side? In a port of call, I only remember getting off on the starboard side. If the escalators are only on the starboard side I suppose one can easily walk across the ship to a port side gangway.

So nautical speak, the acronym is POSH or Port Out Starboard Home. A ship should always "properly" dock with its starboard side to the dock, but I think situations will dictate the opposite based on slip availability

Sent from my SM-N920V using Forums mobile app

Edited by soccerpro98

Does anyone know if there are escalators on both sides or are they only on the starboard side? In a port of call, I only remember getting off on the starboard side. If the escalators are only on the starboard side I suppose one can easily walk across the ship to a port side gangway.

To my knowledge, the escalator is only for the starboard side.