Earliest embarkation time at Rome port?

alsa

Hello!

Does anyone know the earliest time you can embark in Rome? We are sailing out on Reflection next August and want to get on board as early as possible! Need to book transport to the port and need to know a time to tell the transfer company :). Thank you :)

Thanks for that. Have you sailed out of Rome or are you talking about Celebrity in general?

Both. We left Rome at 10.30 by van and was onboard the Constellation by 11.45

Edited by Beanb41

Have sailed out of Civitavecchia about a dozen times including this month. No sense arriving anytime before 11 AM since the boarding staging area is OK, but definitely not the best. Around 11 gives you time to pass through security, check in and be ready to board when it is available.

I usually get to the port around 11:30am.

Monica

On that note, can I ask. Do you always use the celebrity transfers from Rome to the port or do you organise your own? I am in the process of organising next Aug, from Rome, but the transfers are nearly as expensive as my flights! Mt plan was to travel to the port and stay overnight, does this make sense or is it easy enough to get from Rome to port?

All these questions ... sorry

On that note, can I ask. Do you always use the celebrity transfers from Rome to the port or do you organise your own? I am in the process of organising next Aug, from Rome, but the transfers are nearly as expensive as my flights! Mt plan was to travel to the port and stay overnight, does this make sense or is it easy enough to get from Rome to port?

NEVER do the Celebrity transfers. You can arrange on your own for about the same price, much less if you join a group. We've done both: Stayed in Rome and traveled to the port and stayed in Civitavecchia (the Traghetto is a good hotel). I would not simply spend 1 day in Rome, especially after a long-haul flight. If that is all you have, I would go directly to Civitavecchia.

The cheapest way to get to Civitacecchia from Rome is the train.

It is not the most convenient way with luggage, though.

Civitatours.com offer a great transport from the port to Rome and one from Rome to port. Even the crew use them.

Should you decide to stay in Civitavecchia we can recommend the Hotel delle Ville or the San Giorgio. You can wlk to port from both on even roads within 8-10 minutes.

For more info look at our reviews:

Both cruises started in Civitavecchia.

Eastern Med on Reflection:

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Reflection-Eastern-Med-01/reflection-eastern-med-01.html

Holy Land on Silhouette:

http://www.travelandcruise.net/travellove_en/Our-Trips/Holy-Land-Cruise-01/holy-land-cruise-01.html

Edited by Miaminice

The cheapest way to get to Civitacecchia from Rome is the train.

It is not the most convenient way with luggage, though.

Civitatours.com offer a great transport from the port to Rome and one from Rome to port. Even the crew use them.

Should you decide to stay in Civitavecchia we can recommend the Hotel delle Ville or the San Giorgio. You can wlk to port from both on even roads within 8-10 minutes.

They've since moved the Cruise Port Entrance, so it is no longer walking distance from Hotel De Ville or San Giorgio. It's a 25 minute walk, if you know where you are going. The new Port Entrance where you catch the bus to the port is about a block from Hotel Traghetto.

If you take the train to Civitavecchia, there's a bus at the train station that will take you to the Port Entrance for 2 Euro pp.

They've since moved the Cruise Port Entrance, so it is no longer walking distance from Hotel De Ville or San Giorgio. It's a 25 minute walk, if you know where you are going. The new Port Entrance where you catch the bus to the port is about a block from Hotel Traghetto.

If you take the train to Civitavecchia, there's a bus at the train station that will take you to the Port Entrance for 2 Euro pp.

The cruise port entrance for pedestrians is still the same!

Shortly after the gate there is a bus stop (about 100 m) and a bus which takes you to the cruise shuttle parking lot.

The stop for the shuttles used to be at the castle close to where the pedestrian entrance still is. But that was changed quite some time ago - as you are saying.

Unless it has been changed again since last week which is when friends walked in from San Giorgio.

BTW: both hotels offer shuttles to the port. However, both are right next to the train station. From there you can also catch the inexpensive shuttle Wine-O mentioned if you don´t want to walk.

Edited by Miaminice

If I stay in Rome fore the cruise, I use Romecabs.com to get from the airport to hotel; then hotel to the port. I don't use Celebrity tranfsers. Usually I'm with three other couples, so 8 of us split the transportation expenses.

If I stay in Civitavecchia, I stay at Hotel Tragehetto. We just walk to the shuttle bus pick up point which is literally just 2 minutes away - 400 feet.

For just one night in Rome, I'd skip it and stay in Civitavecchia. You really should have 2-3 nights in Rome. If you did just one night, you would be getting to your hotel around noon (depending on your arrival time); then you'd need a pick up service around 9am. That doesn't leave you time to enjoy Rome.

Monica

We have left from Civitavecchia a couple of time, both times after spending time in Rome, and we took the train. Costs about 4€ single I seem to remember.

It is a nice journey but the problem is the stairs from one platform to another. You need arms of steel to lug the cases up! I am getting too old now.

Then we just jumped into a taxi to the ship.

If we sailed from there again, I would stay before sailing. It is a nice place.

I am usually there to board anytime after 10.30.