Late notes from an NCL Escape Haven Cruise (Princess Edition)

Loonbeam

This cruise actually happened in mid Oct. Been busy:

For the most part, other than a few more venues, my observations from our Breakaway cruise hold true from a while ago, so I won't repeat those. Instead, I want to focus on a few Escape specific items that will be of interest to Princess cruisers and then talk about the Haven and why Princess cruisers will probably love it.

First of all, it has to be noted that even more so than the Breakaway, the Escape gives you a lot of ways to spend money. It's really key to be aware that you can have a great time WITHOUT any of these items, and that NCL also often offers promotions where some or all of them are included (like their SDP - Specialty dining package for 3 or 4 meals in Specialty Venues and UBP - Beverage package - all drinks up to $15 are included) - we received both of these and other promos free.

Also, NCL has changed their beverage policy to a full ban other than limited wine with a corkage fee. Bottled water may only be brought on with medical pre-approval.

Finally in this area, while still good, the entertainment level on the Escape was not up to the Breakaway (their Brat Pack show was decent, but After Midnight doesn't compare to Rock of Ages for example).

But what I wanted to really talk about was the Haven.. On NCL, the Haven is an exclusive area reserved for guests in Haven cabins (basically all onboard suites - on the escape there are 95 cabins in this class.). Haven access includes Butler service to your cabin (daily snacks, room service, prettly much anything within reason), a private guest services/concierge staff, an exclusive bar (with generally the better staff), a private restaurant serving BLD and the Haven courtyard, an area with retractable roof that has a small pool, many loungers, a sun deck, 2 hot tubs and a sauna. Certain Haven suites, called spa suites, also include access to the expansive thermal spa (these cabins also include an in room jetted tub, so you end up having to make the horrid decision of where to go to lounge each day).

The best part, these are reasonably priced. For a party of 2, the price for a Spa Haven Mini is not out of line with the closest equivalent on Princess, Club Class. Club Class is effectively trying to ape NCL on this one, but without the dedicated area its just not the same.

Here's an important note - the Haven is NOT adults only. Kids are welcome and the staff takes amazing care of them.

This is the Haven courtyard on the Escape (other ships have smaller areas but also less suites using them):

NCLEscapeOlympus-2-X2.jpg

As you can see there are a lot of lounging options.

If you want to see more photos:

Not all of the photos are the Haven, of course.

Now, so why do I think this is a great option for Princess cruisers? Well, Options.

Let's be blunt. While Princess does offer a generally higher level of food and service in my opinion, the ships themselves are honestly a bit basic. 2 or 3 specialty venues, no waterslides, etc... Traditionally, on the other side you have the mega ships like Escape, lots of options, but with the concurrent crowds, noise, etc.

The Haven gives you the best of both worlds. Want a nice quiet relaxing space? Go to the courtyard. Feel like a pool party? Main pool. Want a nice sit down dinner? Haven restaurant or any MDR. Teppanyaki? Got you covered for either a nominal charge or an SDP credit. Don't feel like getting dressed for dinner, ask your Butler to bring it to the room from any venue (SDP credit does get used for those type of venues).

Where I think this is really a boon is for multi-generational families looking to cruise together. The larger and more vibrant kids and teen clubs, plus the Haven staff will make it easier for parents to relax without having to pay Disney prices (our Spa Suite, with all the perks, was less than a concierge Balcony on Disney for same price). One night we dined in the Haven restaurant and noticed a table of all teens. These kids had become friends and pretty much hung out together, so one night the Haven dining staff set them up with their own table and treated them just like a regular party (and they behaved accordingly) while the parents went off and did an adult thing. Butlers bring special snacks and make sure dietary needs are met. I mentioned I liked pistachios on day 2, every day after a bowl of pistachios was refilled, we also got gummi bears, peanut m+ms, fruit, canapes, chocolate covered strawberries....

There is one VERY important detail. ONLY and I do mean ONLY those guests staying in Haven rooms can use the facilities. That means your entire family needs to stay in Haven class cabins and there are no insides. So no way to split the party as it were. There are some VERY nice suites that sleep 4-6. But this does have budget implications. NCL often offers kids sail free options but these do not always apply to Haven class so check terms.

In short, if you want a more upscale experience but still want access to the bells and whistles of the mega ships, an NCL Haven cabin has to be considered.

Questions or requests for addl info welcome...

To give another example of Butler service, we ran the Cabin Crawl ending in our cabin (Deluxe Spa Suite, only one in the fleet). We mentioned it to Aries, our butler and when we ended up at the cabin there were plates of sliced cakes, cookies, fruit, drinks, plates, napkins etc for 30 people. No charge (of course, we tipped accordingly)

I can see that you liked the Haven experience, and I have heard that it is wonderful, but (And to me this is a big BUT), if one does not normally book suites the price tag can cause sticker shock.

Just my experience, I originally booked a FWD Penthouse Suite on the Escape for DH 60th B-Day cruise (Week of December 10th). The cost for the 2 of us was $6000+. Yes, it did include the drink package, Unlimited Specialty Dining, pre-paid gratuities and $300 OBC (For the cabin). Plus the use of the Haven area. However, the fact that the Haven is open to families makes it less desirable for us, as we travel as a couple. I have read reviews where children were a problem, and reviews when there was no issue with rowdy kids. I guess its luck of the draw.

For those that value peace & quiet I like the Sanctuary, even at $30 pp per day.

Honestly I just did a suite to suite comparison on the Royal versus the Escape (different itineraries of course) and with the current promos the cost was comparable.

What has to be noted is that there are smaller 'suites' on NCL that can be had (as of now) for as low as $2400pp for the Spa class (those do only sleep 2) plus all promos included (free drinks, 3 spec meals, wifi, shore excursion credit plus some gratuities). A Mini on Royal is going for $1600 and when you add in the other costs... They have a lot more classes of suites than Princess. For those cabins, a good comparison would be a Club Class mini-suite/spa pass/sanctuary for the week....

It doesn't have to be too pricey but of course prices will vary from week to week.

As to kids, I can only say that on our trip it wasn't an issue. I mean, was there splashing occasionally, etc? Yes. We've heard the same reports but they do seem to be the exception, not the norm (you always tend to hear about the problems, not the routine stuff). You can always get entitled jerks on any cruise.

I've booked a Haven spa suite for this January. I have never travelled with NCL before, but am looking forward to it. since my previous cruises have been with Royal I do agree that the suite prices are comparable (depending on the week). Last year I stayed in a Crown loft suite on the Oasis for essentially the same price I'm paying for the Haven spa suite on the escape. Once you factor in the free gratuities, drink packages and speciality dining, the Haven will prove the better bargain. However, this is not really an "apples to apples" comparison, as I believe the crown loft is a nicer cabin. With that being said it appears that the Haven amenities far outweigh what is currently being offered by Royal.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Our cabin had a double balcony, so we had more room than we could use for 2 people. Standard balconies as compared to the Royal/Regal standards, I would say they are a bit bigger for NCL but not much. Maybe 8-10 inches deeper and same width.

The large suites have some huge balconies.

Also, the Breakaway class (which has a similar if a little smaller Haven setup) has slightly larger balconies than the breakaway plus class (Escape).

Note that while I used the Escape for reference, because A> its where we were and B> its the biggest and newest, almost all NCL ships have some variation on the Haven.

That was my impression from the videos I've seen. That's a deal killer just like the small balconies on Regal/Royal.

Our cabin had a double balcony, so we had more room than we could use for 2 people. Standard balconies as compared to the Royal/Regal standards, I would say they are a bit bigger for NCL but not much. Maybe 8-10 inches deeper and same width.

The large suites have some huge balconies.

Also, the Breakaway class (which has a similar if a little smaller Haven setup) has slightly larger balconies than the breakaway plus class (Escape).

Note that while I used the Escape for reference, because A> its where we were and B> its the biggest and newest, almost all NCL ships have some variation on the Haven.

Thank you for the reply. We won't book anything but an Owners Suite on Regal/Royal because of the small balconies. Even then it has to be on Baja or Dolphin.

You might look at the Aft suites on the breakaway classes. The balconies are quite large on some of them.

Also, to be quite honest, with the access to the Haven courtyard and sundeck, the need for a large balcony is less acute, as you do have other nice quiet and shaded places to go as needed.

Thank you for the reply. We won't book anything but an Owners Suite on Regal/Royal because of the small balconies. Even then it has to be on Baja or Dolphin.

You might look at the Aft suites on the breakaway classes. The balconies are quite large on some of them.

Also, to be quite honest, with the access to the Haven courtyard and sundeck, the need for a large balcony is less acute, as you do have other nice quiet and shaded places to go as needed.

I appreciate your thoughts but we'll be happier with our own large private balcony. The Haven Courtyard and Sundeck do not work for us.

How is the price of the owners suite on the Regal/Royal in comparison with the Haven Owners suite or Deluxe Owners suite. From watching videos, those haven rooms have very large balconies.

Depends upon a lot of things but I compared an Owners Suite (The Deluxe was sold out) in April 17 with an Owners Suite on Regal. The NCL was $4999 PP. Regal was $3599.

Now, if you're interested in large balconies, here's the suite we had on our last cruise.

http://halfacts.com/vista-class/5190-westerdam/

That was on Holland and the price was around $2300PP incl port fees.

I did see a video of a Deluxe Owners Suite on Escape. Very comparable in size. I'd guess it's more than twice the price.

I'll admit NCL has certain features not found on Holland. To be honest at 70 years, I'm not all that interested in water slides.

Edited by RocketMan275

I just watched a video on the Regal & Royal owners suite, that's a great balcony. I think that would be comparable to the deluxe owners suite balcony in the haven. The Westerdam balcony also looks amazing. All the different lines seem to have positives and negatives, we just have to try and choose the one that best suits are liking at the time.

I just watched a video on the Regal & Royal owners suite, that's a great balcony. I think that would be comparable to the deluxe owners suite balcony in the haven. The Westerdam balcony also looks amazing. All the different lines seem to have positives and negatives, we just have to try and choose the one that best suits are liking at the time.

A word of caution. The owners suites on Regal/Royal vary significantly. Google Regal Aft Photographs. You'll see what I mean. Some of the Owner's Suite balconies are very small. The amount of cover also varies. We would only consider a cabin on Baja or Dolphin.

The perfect cruise line depends upon what you're looking for at a specific time. Our preferences would change if we were of a different age or if we were cruising with children. We prefer a suite with a private, large and covered balcony.

One of the things we like about both Princess and Holland is the ability to order room service from the MDR menu if sailing in a suite. Holland also lets you order from their steak house. Works for us.

I appreciate OP starting this thread. From time to time, we research NCL so it was nice to update our outlook.

I agree with you on ordering room service from the main dining room. During our cruises on Royal we were able to order from the MDR as well as from the costal kitchen (suite restaurant). I believe we took advantage of that on 3 of the 7 nights. It is my understanding that NCL will also allow this as well as from any of the specialty restaurants. Unfortunately I've never stayed in a room with a large enough balcony to enjoy dining on it.

I agree with you on ordering room service from the main dining room. During our cruises on Royal we were able to order from the MDR as well as from the costal kitchen (suite restaurant). I believe we took advantage of that on 3 of the 7 nights. It is my understanding that NCL will also allow this as well as from any of the specialty restaurants. Unfortunately I've never stayed in a room with a large enough balcony to enjoy dining on it.

Dining on our balcony is one of our favorites which is one of the reasons we place so much emphasis upon balconies.

We had a Crown Loft Suite on Oasis about a year ago. We liked the suite lounge but we thought Coastal Kitchens would have been better had they changed the menus more frequently. Nor, did the balcony lend itself to dining. Perhaps we'd been happier in a different suite.

On NCL you can order from the full menu of any venue that day (and your butler will bring the menus on request) - if you order from a specialty venue the appropriate a la carte, cover or credit will be billed.

This also includes casual venues like Food Republic, Margaritaville, even the bake shop.

In addition you can request specific snacks instead of the daily selection if you are so inclined as well as some candies, fruit, etc.