What is the best extension cord to use on a Princess Cruise?

WINEMANVISALIA

We use the following from Amazon:

Asium Compact Portable Travel Outlet 14awg-15a 125av 60hz 1875watts Blister Pack

It has two outlets on one side and one on the other so we can plug in multiple battery chargers at the same time. It has a short cord that doesn't take up a lot of space in the desk. I just looked and it is currently out of stock. May find it from another supplier.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

Edited by UT-Volsfan

Here's what I posted in another topic:

This looks good: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_sb_27?tag=davidmross-20&link_code=wsw&_encoding=UTF-8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Poweradd+3-Outlet+Power+Strip+5ft+Extension&Submit.x=12&Submit.y=15&Submit=Go It's the first one listed: "Poweradd 3-Outlet Power Strip 5ft Extension Cord with 3 Smart USB Ports" - don't let the USB ports for.... fool you. You can use any type of device with the USB ports

As someone pointed out, there was another thread that discussed this ad nauseum. BUT, the bottom line is that ships AC power and grounding systems are wired differently than land-side (wye vs delta, for engineering geeks), and surge protectors ARE dangerous and prohibited. If you look in the "safety" section of the numerous boarding docs that we all get in personalizer to download and agree to, there is a statement there. In simplified terms- when plugged into ships' wiring systems, devices within surge protectors known as MOVs can overheat, melt, and start a fire, vs cutting off current as they would on land-based power grids.

So... a simple power strip without surge protection. If you see anything about "joules of protection" it has a surge protector.

Here's what I posted in another topic:

This looks good: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_sb_27?tag=davidmross-20&link_code=wsw&_encoding=UTF-8&search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Poweradd+3-Outlet+Power+Strip+5ft+Extension&Submit.x=12&Submit.y=15&Submit=Go It's the first one listed: "Poweradd 3-Outlet Power Strip 5ft Extension Cord with 3 Smart USB Ports" - don't let the USB ports for.... fool you. You can use any type of device with the USB ports

This is a surge protector and is a prohibited item by Princess.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

This is a surge protector and is a prohibited item by Princess.

Researching this a little, it is interesting to find that this identical power strip, when searched for by the part number from the PP's Amazon link, shows up as being marketed under the following brands: Outtek, Feelle, and PowerAdd. Only the Outtek description mentions surge protection, while the others mention protection against voltage fluctuations. Since these all share the same model number, I would have to agree that they are all surge protected, probably at a very poor level giving almost no real protection (hence no mention of clamping voltages or joules of protection).

Just FYI, there may be an extra outlet behind the TV. I know there is in the mini-suites, don't know about the other room types for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is true for all cabin categories that I have been in (don't know about suites but I imagine the same applies).

The outlet where the TV is plugged in has two plugs. Usually I plug the cord for my Kindle into that one and just leave it for the duration of the cruise.

At the desk I use an adaptor that converts a single outlet to a triple.

This is true for all cabin categories that I have been in (don't know about suites but I imagine the same applies).

The outlet where the TV is plugged in has two plugs. Usually I plug the cord for my Kindle into that one and just leave it for the duration of the cruise.

At the desk I use an adaptor that converts a single outlet to a triple.

We do it the other way around. Our "octopus" gets plugged in behind the TV and all the charging junk (phones, camera batteries, Kindles, etc.) stays on the top shelf mostly hidden by the TV. Keeps the desk tidier and allows DW to plug in her curling iron without having to juggle all the other devices.

Researching this a little, it is interesting to find that this identical power strip, when searched for by the part number from the PP's Amazon link, shows up as being marketed under the following brands: Outtek, Feelle, and PowerAdd. Only the Outtek description mentions surge protection, while the others mention protection against voltage fluctuations. Since these all share the same model number, I would have to agree that they are all surge protected, probably at a very poor level giving almost no real protection (hence no mention of clamping voltages or joules of protection).

Yes, but when it comes to the prohibition, surge protection is surge protection. "Protects against voltage fluctuations" is just another way of saying surge protection.

Yes, but when it comes to the prohibition, surge protection is surge protection. "Protects against voltage fluctuations" is just another way of saying surge protection.

While in this case I agree with you, I was merely pointing out that some documentation is vague at best, and misleading at worst.

As I've said before, many multi-USB hubs claim "surge protection", when in fact they are talking about "voltage regulation", and since they do not use a grounded plug, there cannot be any surge protection. Since this product does say that the voltage protection is on the power outlets, that is a surge protector, not a low voltage regulator circuit.

Went to home depot and bought 3 outlet plugin...that will post our devices!..thank you for all the suggestions!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app

Take a look at the picture in this post.

It shows how there is often no space around the outlet,

for anything larger than a plug.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=51533759&postcount=16

While in this case I agree with you, I was merely pointing out that some documentation is vague at best, and misleading at worst.

As I've said before, many multi-USB hubs claim "surge protection", when in fact they are talking about "voltage regulation", and since they do not use a grounded plug, there cannot be any surge protection. Since this product does say that the voltage protection is on the power outlets, that is a surge protector, not a low voltage regulator circuit.

Yes, indeed! I wasn't disputing what you said, my intention was to support it & reinforce it to others! When quoting you, I was clumsily trying to direct my commentary towards the inconsistency of the labeling/docs... not all mention joules of protection, even though I used that as a common example, and not all with voltage regulation are innocent of surge protection. Wanted to let everyone know that labeling is inconsistent, and able to confuse the most well-intended person.

Edited by yuccaman