Is a Carnival Cruise worth taking anymore?

Carleeb12

"It depends".

Can be a very good value. To me I will pay up to 70% of the cost to sail Carnival vs RCI. If it's closer in price, I go for RCI. There are things I wish were a little different, some are just policy things and not a big deal at the end of the day.

I won't pay to fly to a Fantasy-class ship. But I'd drive a short distance for newer ships for sure.

the only one I can think of is room service, where some of the choices are for pay now whereas everything used to be free via RS. But there still are free alternatives on the menu.

As I understand the room service menu the same items are still offered free but the surcharge items are items that weren't available via room service in the past. This as compared to NCL that charges a fee for all room service orders except limited continental breakfast items in the morning and also has surcharge items on the room service menu.

As I understand the room service menu the same items are still offered free but the surcharge items are items that weren't available via room service in the past. This as compared to NCL that charges a fee for all room service orders except limited continental breakfast items in the morning and also has surcharge items on the room service menu.

Mostly the same, there were a couple of changes.....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just one of the policy changes that makes NCL a sucky cruise line.

We were on Carnival in April and just off Princess two weeks ago. There is no comparison of the two in my eyes. Can't wait for our next cruise. We cruise to relax and come back refreshed and feel like we were on vacation. Not constant announcements and gimmicks. I highly suggest seeing the Panama Canal in your lifetime. Amazing what they did back then.

It seems like every post I read on the Carnival board expresses some level of dissatisfaction about the terrible food, the terrible service, the terrible entertainment, etc. So, is there still any point to taking a Carnival cruise anymore? How are they staying in business?

I've learned in three decades of owning a business to funnel down a question. So, for your 67th post tell me what has been your experience? What ships have you sailed on? What ports did you visit? What excursions have you taken?

Did you have a problem that required you to go to Guest Services? Was it resolved?

When you state "every post I read" and use "terrible" as a descriptor I'm wanting to answer you, but it's point-counterpoint material.

Since the Mardi Gras my wife and I sailed our 25th milestone on the Triumph in 2014, and have ten more completed or booked. We've had one bad cruise on the Triumph on NYE 2014. The rest were a blast. That's better odds than Disney, all-inclusive destinations, Europe and other trips we've taken.

Our cruise history also includes 6 on RCCL. We've had to change cabins on two of those because of flooding and mold in the shower.

Go. Let's see your personal experience.

Edited by BallFour4

Just off Oosterdam. Worst Lido food ever, tasted like water except for prime rib. S L O W MDR service. Good entertainment 5 out of 6. Got chocolates. Would rather have had good food. At least on Carnival it has taste, might not be to my liking but it doesn't taste like water. Very limited room service menu.

The new sing a long in the Atrium by the CD's is a very nice addition on Carnival.

Important thing is if you have an issue, say something, don't expect it to change without sayinig something. Most times something can be done.

Have to realize cruising isn't what it used to be. Maybe it's much better on Regent but I can't afford that. Just checked for the lowest rate cabin it's over $16000 for 7 days!!!

Edited by crusinpsychRN

I wouldn't necessarily say they are a sucky line, they still offer a good product, you just need to watch your wallet more carefully.

I guess I should have said "to me". Of the 5 lines I have sailed, NCL was by far the worst of the 5 (the suckiest :D). And now you can't even bring soda on anymore, period. I plan on sailing with them once more, only because there is no other line that does the itinerary I want. But I'm going for the ports, not for what NCL offers.

I guess I should have said "to me". Of the 5 lines I have sailed, NCL was by far the worst of the 5 (the suckiest :D). And now you can't even bring soda on anymore, period. I plan on sailing with them once more, only because there is no other line that does the itinerary I want. But I'm going for the ports, not for what NCL offers.

LOL, the suckiest ????

Carny is the discount cruise line. You should know that going in. If you expect Celebrity service, book Celebrity. Don't book a room in a Motel 6 and expect you'll be treated like you're in the Ritz.

For some people, getting the absolute lowest fare is all they care about, and they will mock those "suckers" who would book something like a Concierge Class balcony.

Others see value differently, and appreciate the added perks.

Carny will never run out of customers, I hope they keep growing and continue to define and dominate the lower end of the market. That way the Princess & Celebrities will not be tempted to drop down and compete.

Disclaimer, I am not, never have been, and never will be a Carnival Cruiser. The product doesn't interest me for any number of reasons. I am not saying it is a bad product, rather that it isn't right for me.

So here is my response to the OP's post.

Yes, there have been changes made, and long time cruisers will be the ones to notice them the most.

There are a lot of reasons people cruise Carnival, and continue to do so.

In no particular order...

1. Because that is what they have always done. Whether they grew up vacationing on Carnival with mom and dad or great aunt Tilly, that is the vacation they have taken for years. Maybe they took it for a honeymoon, spring break (back when spring breakers could book cruises) or when their children were young. Point is, it is what they know, it is in their comfort zone. Many people don't like to step out of that zone. So they keep going back. Here is where it gets interesting for that group. Just like with anything, the first time you experience something shiney and new, it seems perfect. The more time you spend with it, you get to know it better, become more critical of the cracks and rust. It's human nature. So while what we remember and what we currently perceive might be a mile of difference, the reality is that it's only a few yards of difference. That can lead to building resentment, disappointment, and subsequent complaint. Because we have stuck ourselves into this rut, we either feel paralyzed by the fear of the unknown or guilt over abandoning something we have been loyal to whenever the concept of trying something different arises.

2. Next are the people who equate the word best with cheapest. (On the other end of the spectrum are those who say best is the most expensive.) They don't use "best value for their unique situation," just "cheapest." They look for rock bottom per day prices. This group is best described as having Champagne taste on a beer budget. Using the word cheapest, a reasonable person would temper their expectations, expect to have fun, but not expect Broadway shows, Le Cordon Bleu cuisine, or a glass of Champagne and cool towel handed to them every time they return after a port of call. Some people are happy with this, but others are disappointed. They want to pay $40 per person, per day and have filet mignon instead of meatloaf, and become agitated when those expectations aren't met.

3. Often but not always these people will have unrealistic expectations for their trip because they don't read the fine print--or any print! They look at the marketing materials and think they will have a trip just like they see--what appears to be a waiter with only a dozen passengers to serve, no lines to meet characters, food that looks like it was cooked and plated at The French Laundry for every meal, a bottle of fine Champagne and large bouquet of flowers in their cabin when they arrive, the list goes on. Because all they did was look at the photos, and the photos tend to show the very top end suites, and a lot of for fee extras. When these items and this level of service doesn't materialize, they get upset. They board their older ship expecting they will be going to the Queen's Grill on Cunard. They are deeply disappointed and make sure to vent this disappointment. This is a group who would probably have had a great time if they had used an experienced cruise travel agent who could have given them the facts about what to expect and made sure they understood the product they were receiving.

4. The people who find fault with everything. The ship hits a rock and sinks, sure, there is a lot of cruise line fault there. But there are a lot of subjective things on a cruise ship. To one person, the shows are great, to another they are terrible. To one person the food is great, to another it is terrible. To one person the bed is very comfortable, to another it is too hard or too soft. (Of course when you hear these types of complaints over and over about the same ship or Cruise Director or Bartender or whoever, by people who are typically easy to please, you would take note.)

5. People who just don't consider the type of cruise they want to take and what they want out of it and the type of people who might be sailing with them and the list goes on. People need to look at themselves and consider their interests, their comfort zones, the type of trip they would enjoy. A couple in their 70's with a strong interest in Neoclassical architecture and Renaissance art who are typically asleep by 10:00 and awake by 6:00 each day would probably enjoy a river cruise along the Seine a lot more than a Bahamas cruise on a Carnival ship. On the other hand a couple in their early to mid 20's who are interested in chilling out on a different beach with a bucket of beer each day and dancing the night away every night would probably love Carnival and be bored silly in the river cruise.

6. The people who are happy with the product and feel that it gives them good value for their money.

Bottom line, my opinion after reading these boards for many years is that Carnival has two sides to their product. One is the older ships that typically do shorter cruises and have a lot of small interior rooms, the other is the new ships with larger suites which provide a lot more amenities. Typically people who make an informed decision are happy with their vacation--provided the cruise line delivers what it indicated it would--which it appears that a handful of rotten situations aside (floating around in the Gulf with no working toilets or potable water on a ship with previously known engine/propulsion problems comes to mind)--Carnival delivers what they say they will. No more, no less.

Those who have been disappointed with Carnival in the past should take their money elsewhere, otherwise they will probably board expecting the worst and having those expectations met because they will be looking for anything possible to criticize, have not done their research, or have made a bad choice in their vacation plans to begin with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spot on.

LOL, the suckiest ????

Don't get me wrong. A cruise is a cruise and they are always good, but the 4 NCL cruises I've taken rank at the bottom of my list of awesome cruises. In fact, I shocked the hell out of my wife when I cancelled my fifth (which I would be on right now) after they changed their soda policy back in July (in addition to many other changes crappy changes). First time I've ever even considered cancelling a cruise, much less actually doing it. So yes, NCL is the "suckiest" comparatively speaking of the cruise lines I have traveled.

Carny will never run out of customers, I hope they keep growing and continue to define and dominate the lower end of the market. That way the Princess & Celebrities will not be tempted to drop down and compete.

Sounds like you have a very big chip on your shoulder or you are having a very bad day. I am VERY happy you do not sail Carnival cuz you come across like one of those "complain about everything" kind of people, so thank you!

I do find it interesting that you do seem to have an appreciation for Princess though, hmmmmm...

Edited by Drazil65

Yes, you mentioned it but you are still trying to compare the two. No accurate comparison can be made if the cruises aren't almost identical and these two aren't even close. Not to mention, NCL just plain sucks as a cruise line (IMO).

That explains it now that you mentioned NCL sucks.

That explains it now that you mentioned NCL sucks.

The fact that NCL sucks to me doesn't change the fact that you were comparing two totally different animals. If you want to see them as being similar, go ahead. Just don't throw bogus comparisons towards others to try and get them to believe what you believe.

Edited by Computer Nerd

Just off Oosterdam. Worst Lido food ever, tasted like water except for prime rib. S L O W MDR service. Good entertainment 5 out of 6. Got chocolates. Would rather have had good food. At least on Carnival it has taste, might not be to my liking but it doesn't taste like water. Very limited room service menu.

The new sing a long in the Atrium by the CD's is a very nice addition on Carnival.

Important thing is if you have an issue, say something, don't expect it to change without sayinig something. Most times something can be done.

Have to realize cruising isn't what it used to be. Maybe it's much better on Regent but I can't afford that. Just checked for the lowest rate cabin it's over $16000 for 7 days!!!

To where, and when? I see a number of seven day Regent cruises in the $5000 for two people range. Remember that Regent includes shore excursions, airfare, alcohol, alternate restaurants, the list goes on. So you need to compare apples to apples, and people who leave a seven day cruise with a $1000 bar tab, eat at the steakhouse three times at $40 per, and spend $300 each to fly to the cruise, take three shore excursions at $50 per... $2000 later and the cost of the Regent cruise isn't a whole lot more than the "insert name of mass market cruise here."

To where, and when? I see a number of seven day Regent cruises in the $5000 for two people range. Remember that Regent includes shore excursions, airfare, alcohol, alternate restaurants, the list goes on. So you need to compare apples to apples, and people who leave a seven day cruise with a $1000 bar tab, eat at the steakhouse three times at $40 per, and spend $300 each to fly to the cruise, take three shore excursions at $50 per... $2000 later and the cost of the Regent cruise isn't a whole lot more than the "insert name of mass market cruise here."

Nice analysis.

I love whiskey.

If you do all of those things then maybe regent might be comparable. For me, I have a $75 bar tab, use 6 gallons of gas to drive round trip to the port, rarely take excursions, and maybe eat once in the steakhouse so for me, Regent isn't even in the ballpark.

It seems like every post I read on the Carnival board expresses some level of dissatisfaction about the terrible food, the terrible service, the terrible entertainment, etc. So, is there still any point to taking a Carnival cruise anymore? How are they staying in business?

My last cruise on carnival is next April. Unless we do Alaska, I'm looking at other cruise lines for itineraries and stops we haven't been to yet. Which is kind of a bummer but I really like what Costa and Norwegian are offering. Norwegian has awesome drink packages and other perks and I've been noticing carnival cruises getting pretty pricey.Can care less about reward points. Do enjoy carnival and I always believed it is what you make it. Always eat in mdr, great food and find a team that works for us and have a great time. It is always a joy to get to know the crew early on and them calling me by my name.

The fact that NCL sucks to me doesn't change the fact that you were comparing two totally different animals. If you want to see them as being similar, go ahead. Just don't throw bogus comparisons towards others to try and get them to believe what you believe.[/quote

Not trying to get others to believe what I believe , just saying Carnival is not any less expensive than NCL when you ADD everything in.

No different than someone saying NCL sucks because that person thinks so.

Even comparing apples to apples. ( Days, Departure Port, Eastern Caribbean)

Sure if its enough of a discount over competitors. I just got off a 5 day on the Sensation.

MDR food was ok

Service was really slow though

Entertainment seemed to be enjoyed by most.

Staff very friendly

It was well worth what I paid. That said my new favorite is NCL on the newer ships.

Not trying to get others to believe what I believe , just saying Carnival is not any less expensive than NCL when you ADD everything in.

No different than someone saying NCL sucks because that person thinks so.

Even comparing apples to apples. ( Days, Departure Port, Eastern Caribbean)

A lot depends on the individual. For us CCL is less expensive then NCL even after adding everything in. NCL out of NYC was $1300 ($1500 if you take the "free" UBP) more than CCL out of Baltimore on identical itineraries leaving at the same time. We don't buy drink packages but if we did we'd still be up $700 over NCL by purchasing Cheers. I think NCL is a little better than CCL (well, pre-Del Rio anyway) but I don't think it's $700 better, but of course it's perfectly okay if others think it is.