Mexican Riviera or Caribbean in April 2017

johno1234

Hi all, am considering taking the family to one of these ... right now the prices look ok, but nothing like as cheap as the last minute deals I see in December!

As I'm new to this, I don't know what the prices typically do in Mid April so wonder what opinions people have on: should I buy now or wait until March and get a late deal?

The complication is we will be flying up from New Zealand. It is our school vacation time so the flights will be premium. I'll need to book them so there's the risk of having flights and no cruise! :confused:

Thanks

J

Hmm...

I would book now. I guess you can watch the prices on some (all?) cruise lines and check if they drop and request a match, but I've never bothered. However I am a big fan of having plans in place well before I need them.

Mexico v. The Caribbean is a toss up. I've done a lot of Mexico in the past, never the Caribbean. There are a few ports I'd avoid in Mexico, Acapulco, and Ensenada come to mind, but Cabo & Puerto Vallarta are still reasonable I guess.

In the Caribbean, I hear that there are some ports there that are a bit sketch as well, but I don't think anything on the scale of what is happening in parts of Mexico. I guess it would just be up to which area you want to see.

The Mexico mess is a shame because it is a beautiful Country, some of the areas are absolutely stunning, and they have just a massive undeveloped coastline.

I'm sure somebody will chime in with tips for the Caribbean. Don't let me keep you away from Mexico if it is a priority. I just wouldn't get off the boat in Acapulco if anybody still goes there.

Thanks. I like the sound of the Caribbean but coming from New Zealand, Los Angeles is so much easier for us being a mere 14 hour tiddler of a flight! Cheaper too.

The NCL itineraries seem to be Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.

Cheers!

Funny you should ask, as I just booked a 7-night Mexican Riviera cruise on Jewel sailing out of Los Angeles on April 16. Mexican Riviera cruises seem to be commanding a higher price than Caribbean cruises; I'm guessing because there's only one ship doing them. I also notice that prices for Mexican Riviera cruises don't seem to drop at the last minute. That said, I have sailed the Caribbean a lot recently, so it was time for Mexico.

This Jewel cruise is a replacement for a just-cancelled and cheaper South America cruise (due to my lack of desire to obtain a Brazil visa). But as I'm flying down from nearby Portland, Oregon, my flights cost $1,000 less and I only need a hotel room for one night. So my overall vacation cost is much less when non-cruise expenses are factored in.

Factors for you to consider: longer flight to Miami; bigger ships with more features in Miami; greater likelihood of price drops on Caribbean cruises. Both itineraries should be relatively mellow, as spring break ends in March.

Good luck with your choice.

Ha, might see you on it!

Hmm, interesting point re lack of competition on the Mex cruises.

Last Nov we went on the NCL around Hawaii cruise. Booked it a little late in September but got what I thought was a very good price of $1k pp all up for guaranteed balcony that turned out to be one of the 'better' balconies. Those cruises currently seem to be going for $2k pp! :eek: no competition at all.

I like the water parks on the new FL based ships, they look great for the kids on sea days. None of the LA based ships seem to have the same level of thing.

The MEX Riviera has 1 prime cruise route being Cabo Mazatlan and Puerto

Vallarta generally 2 days at SEA going down and 2 coming back with 1 day

in each of these ports for a 7 day cruise. Sailings are out of Long Beach (San Pedro)

and San Diego.

The Caribbean has several options - Eastern Southern and Western

The Western sails mostly out of gulf port cities and Miami does a day at SEA

going and coming with port stops at Cozumel Belize Roatan and Costa Maya

The Southern route sails mostly out of Puerto Rico and may have a SEA day or

two depending on the routing. City/Port stops San Juan - Bridgetown(Barbados) -

Fort-de-France (Martinique) - Basseterre (St. Kitts) - Philipsburg (St. Maarten) -

St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands) and return to San Juan.

The Eastern routes are like the Western one with many cruise options;

Highlighting one that sails out of NYC:

CRUISE PORTS Embark New York; San Juan (Puerto Rico); St. Thomas (US Virgin Islands); Philipsburg (St. Maarten); Tortola (British Virgin Islands); Disembark New York.

There are some 70 cruises available for the Caribbean

Weather generally favors the Caribbean except late season with the hurricanes.

For predictably warmer sunny weather consider the southern routes.

Talk to a TA and visit CC frequently and often for the cruise that suits your budget and in your case schedule. Plan to have a day or two between your

New Zealand travels and the cruises - many time zones to contend with !

Your clothing needs will not be much of a problem the Eastern routes out

of NYC may pose a winter time issue briefly.

Hi Roger, that is a good question...

No much point in doing a NZ cruise as it is already all so accessible to us.

Could do an Australia cruise but a lot of the appeal is visiting new places - and as Australia is quite close we've already been there a few times.

I think the kids would really like to go to either Disneyland or Disney World before or after the cruise.

Hawaii is a really good option - the flight is shorter but... there's only one show in town for cruising and the NCL Pride of America is not as good for kids as the other ships - no water park, in fact no slides of any sort.

But maybe I am being pig-headed as I have really got it in my mind that we're going USA... I should take another look at Pacific cruise options...

I hear what you are saying, Sotomarler,

It's a balance of: cheaper shorter nonstop flight to LAX vs pricier longer flight to MCO with a stop, against general benefits of cruising/visiting out of Orlando/Port Canaveral/Caribbean.

My head is going to explode.

Thanks. I like the sound of the Caribbean but coming from New Zealand, Los Angeles is so much easier for us being a mere 14 hour tiddler of a flight! Cheaper too.

The NCL itineraries seem to be Cabo, Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta.

Cheers!

Well, those ports are not bad options. And from reading other responses, San Diego is an amazing city, and Disneyland can be done in a day if you have to, two days would be better. Disney World to me would take the place of the entire cruise, I'd do a week there, and probably still need more time.

Options, options, options.

I hear what you are saying, Sotomarler,

It's a balance of: cheaper shorter nonstop flight to LAX vs pricier longer flight to MCO with a stop, against general benefits of cruising/visiting out of Orlando/Port Canaveral/Caribbean.

My head is going to explode.

Trust me I understand the money issue! If it's a one time deal, take the longer flight and do Disney World and the Caribbean. If you can come back another time then do DL and Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Trust me I understand the money issue! If it's a one time deal, take the longer flight and do Disney World and the Caribbean. If you can come back another time then do DL and Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. And I grew up in L.A. But it is just not a "friendly" place to visit anymore. And Disneyland, while nice, is just a fraction of what Disney World offers. And the Caribbean is going to be a nicer total cruise I think than the Mexican Riviera out of L.A. We've done them both several times.

Ok thanks for the feedback - looks like I need to research Orlando and a cruise out of Port Canaveral...

No NCL from there? So I am into unchartered territory. Have been on NCL and not had to pay (much) for food and drink on board. Only Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Disney from PC. Disney are *expensive*!

I can't see what it costs to be eating and drinking on the other two - do they have packages or do you have to bleed cash as you go?

Ok thanks for the feedback - looks like I need to research Orlando and a cruise out of Port Canaveral...

No NCL from there? So I am into unchartered territory. Have been on NCL and not had to pay (much) for food and drink on board. Only Royal Caribbean, Carnival and Disney from PC. Disney are *expensive*!

I can't see what it costs to be eating and drinking on the other two - do they have packages or do you have to bleed cash as you go?

Epic sails from Orlando, and she is an appealing ship. Three water slides and an excellent spa, and excellent entertainment.

Regarding Disneyland, it has quality over quantity as compared to WDW. Three days should suffice. And if you do go to Orlando, consider Universal instead of Walt Disney World. If your kids are 10 and older, they may prefer it. And you can do all three parks in 3-4 days.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

During the Spring and Fall (northern hemisphere) the ships get repositioned

to other markets.

The EPIC will move into the Mediterranean and some of the Caribbean ships

to Europe (transatlantic) and Alaska* - *creating the Panama Canal cruises.

The SUN usually gets relocated to South America during the winter of the year

otherwise it has been pretty much a mainstay in Alaska.

The BLISS a seasonal stationing in Alaska/Canada

The latest newest behemoth the JOY will be posted in China (Hong Kong ?).

The DAWN generally does the Western Caribbean in the winter and in the

summer does Boston Bermuda.

The DAWN's sister ship the STAR from what I read is going to do an Australian-New Zealand and south Asia tour.

The BREAKAWAY is posted at NYC

The POA is posted at Honolulu

But the assignment of ships is whatever the market will bear a profit.

With some security concerns in the near east there maybe limited trips to the

east end of the Mediterranean.

Something for everyone - big ships - medium ships and toy boats !