Roll Call and Privacy Concerns

kura

EXACTLY! I will read the roll calls for my cruises, but it is rare that I participate even though some of it sounds fun!

I have looked at the Roll Calls of two future cruises I am on. There is one "organizer" on each one who is quite honestly obsessive. I don't participate in either of them. Lists galore, wanting to "micro manage" every private tour that anyone even hints about starting, etc. I just observe to see if there is anything of interest, but I am very hesitant to post anything.

I have looked at the Roll Calls of two future cruises I am on. There is one "organizer" on each one who is quite honestly obsessive. I don't participate in either of them. Lists galore, wanting to "micro manage" every private tour that anyone even hints about starting, etc. I just observe to see if there is anything of interest, but I am very hesitant to post anything.

You can join a roll call without participating in any of that. I look at it as simply a way to get to know my fellow cruisers, and have made life long friends through it. If someone wants to "micro-manage" that's fine, you control any information you provide. Just post a friendly "Hi" and go to the M&G.

You can join a roll call without participating in any of that. I look at it as simply a way to get to know my fellow cruisers, and have made life long friends through it. If someone wants to "micro-manage" that's fine, you control any information you provide. Just post a friendly "Hi" and go to the M&G.

That is about what the extent of what I have done.

We have has similar experiences. When someone is that obsessive with a spreadsheet and such, we really don't have any desire to join in. These people seem to be very lonely and looking for attention. We meet many people while on private shore excursions and around the ship. If you are the least bit friendly, its very easy. We don't feel that joining roll call adds anything to the cruise experience.

We have has similar experiences. When someone is that obsessive with a spreadsheet and such, we really don't have any desire to join in. These people seem to be very lonely and looking for attention. We meet many people while on private shore excursions and around the ship. If you are the least bit friendly, its very easy. We don't feel that joining roll call adds anything to the cruise experience.

See my post above - you don't have to participate, or only as much as you wish. I don't believe these people are lonely and looking for attention at all - maintaining a spreadsheet can be a lot of work, and more power to them. Just not my preference.

Have a good cruise - have you requested a sailaway wave?

Think about how often many people give their credit card to a complete stranger who disappears with their credit card for 5 minutes before they finally return with their credit card. Sometimes these same strangers will examine your drivers license before they disappear with your card.

This is what happens when you go to most restaurants.

I think that the value of sharing some personal information is worth the risk. But everyone should decide this for themselves.

Regarding HAL wanting cabin numbers - they only ask if you would like them to send out invitations to the roll call.

You can also use an alias name and city if you want to remain completely mysterious.

Think about how often many people give their credit card to a complete stranger who disappears with their credit card for 5 minutes before they finally return with their credit card. Sometimes these same strangers will examine your drivers license before they disappear with your card.

I think that the value of sharing some personal information is worth the risk. But everyone should decide this for themselves.

Regarding HAL wanting cabin numbers - they only ask if you would like them to send out invitations to the roll call.

You can also use an alias name and city if you want to remain completely mysterious.

It has been years since I have handed a credit card to a waiter where we live. A portable terminal is brought to the table and I insert my own card and follow the instructions on the screen regarding PIN number and adding a tip.

In stores the terminal is mounted on the counter so clerks just don't have any reason to handle the card.

I have set up many M&Gs without providing HAL with full names and cabins, only number of participants. If you provide names, they may get invited to additional functions.

My first HAL cruise I was in charge of the M&G . HAL only asked for a head count. It was pretty well attended.. over 75 showed.

At the M&G the Hotel Manager asked me for names/cabin numbers so he could send a bottle of wine to each cabin.

I had to run around and get that information.. because even at sign in most just used their screen names.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am one that likes to organize things, and I often set up a roll call sheet and a list of excursions for my sailing. I do not publish last names or email addresses. I also tell people that I will only post what they feel comfortable with sharing, which is usually screen name, first name, hometown, dining time, and deck number.

If someone is joining a private tour that I arranged, I ask them to email me so that we can communicate off the board about our plans. My husband and I have been able to have some wonderful shore experiences by sharing with people from our roll call. There are some tours that would be cost prohibitive for just the two of us, but very doable in a group of six or eight.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That restaurant isn't adding your name, credit card number and expiry date to a spreadsheet and then publishing it on the internet for all to see.

It has been years since I have handed a credit card to a waiter where we live. A portable terminal is brought to the table and I insert my own card and follow the instructions on the screen regarding PIN number and adding a tip.

In stores the terminal is mounted on the counter so clerks just don't have any reason to handle the card.

We are still way behind the tech curve here in the US. It is still an unfortunate common practice to give your CC to a server in a restaurant or bar. Big Box stores and markets have the terminals. Some small businesses use Square to capture the CC - they swipe/chip read from the attachment on their smartphone.

My old hotel just installed the swiper/reader machines in May so we never touched the card. My new one is totally old school for a few months - we have to take the card and manually enter in the numbers...

The problem that we have had is that even though the clerk may not handle your card, the transaction detail is being saved to an in store hard drive. In some instances thieves have targeted these hard drives for the data. The data is sometimes held for up to a month.

Once data is entered into any system you really never know where that data is going, who can access it,or how secure it is. You may reduce skimming by not having the clerk handle the card but that is the extent of the assurance. It is more of a 'feel good' than anything else.

Edited by iancal

We are still way behind the tech curve here in the US. It is still an unfortunate common practice to give your CC to a server in a restaurant or bar. Big Box stores and markets have the terminals. Some small businesses use Square to capture the CC - they swipe/chip read from the attachment on their smartphone.

My old hotel just installed the swiper/reader machines in May so we never touched the card. My new one is totally old school for a few months - we have to take the card and manually enter in the numbers...

The US has the technology but the service charge is rarely included in the bill. They want you to take a minute to calculate a generous tip. This will change as labor cost challenged eateries install table top kiosks that facilitate customers placing their own orders, then paying the bill.

The US has the technology but the service charge is rarely included in the bill. They want you to take a minute to calculate a generous tip. This will change as labor cost challenged eateries install table top kiosks that facilitate customers placing their own orders, then paying the bill.

Referring to the technology that Sapper referenced which is very prevalent in Canada, there is the option to add a tip before the charge is finalized. In fact,the machine asks you if you want to tip and most give you the option to do a percentage or a $ amount :).

We normally get the bill first so there's time to contemplate the tip :)

Referring to the technology that Sapper referenced which is very prevalent in Canada, there is the option to add a tip before the charge is finalized. In fact,the machine asks you if you want to tip and most give you the option to do a percentage or a $ amount :).

We normally get the bill first so there's time to contemplate the tip :)

The US hand helds also give you tip options.

One regional eatery we patronize tried them out. Servers felt the tips were less generous so they went back to the old system of presenting a check, taking the CC, etc.

The US hand helds also give you tip options.

One regional eatery we patronize tried them out. Servers felt the tips were less generous so they went back to the old system of presenting a check, taking the CC, etc.

I find it odd that the servers set the terms, rather than convenience for the customer, but things are done differently in our countries, obviously. Also to be noted that I have read here that restaurant servers in the US are paid at a much lower rate than the minimum wage+ paid here in Canada, so I certainly understand their reluctance to change the system.

At no restaurant in the US (or Puerto Rico) have I been offered the remote scanner/reader to to my CC - the server has always taken the card away or I go to the stand at the front and pay there. I have it all the time in Europe, but not here. Now, my hair stylist uses the Square system on her iPhone for billing - pretty easy - she hands me her phone, I put the car in the chip reader, sign my name. It brings up an option for a tip, too.

I find it odd that the servers set the terms, rather than convenience for the customer, but things are done differently in our countries, obviously. Also to be noted that I have read here that restaurant servers in the US are paid at a much lower rate than the minimum wage+ paid here in Canada, so I certainly understand their reluctance to change the system.

The US is a tip obsessed culture, especially in big cities. Subtle and not so subtle pressure not just to tip but to tip big. Servers earn a very low minimum wage, kind of like cruise ship employees. They live and die by their tips.

In NYC Danny Meyer, one of the biggest restaurant owners did away with tipping, substituting tips with a hospitality charge. Prices went up. The changeover has been in the last year or so. Some reports say the senior wait staff quit over it but the back of the house staff is happy.