Any recent reviews of Tahitia roundtrip?

alexandra cruiser

Looked at review section,and search engine, last one posted was 2015.

Not sure if we should do 10 or 12 day. Sounds like flying in on own early and getting hotel best bet. Perhaps day room for late flight home?Any help would be appreciated. Want to book it on our Jan. O cruise for OBC.

Was looking at Paul Gauguin but prefer little larger ship.

Not sure if we should do 10 or 12 day. Sounds like flying in on own early and getting hotel best bet. Perhaps day room for late flight home?Any help would be appreciated. Want to book it on our Jan. O cruise for OBC.

I would suggest that you do your search again. I thought that your statement was odd, so I checked and there are dozens and dozens of 2016 reviews for Oceania in the South Pacific.

Ok I understand your plight.... First I have visited Tahiti rt from LA by ship, Transpacific by ship fly in sail away, Sail in and fly out and fly in fly out.

The biggest isssue it that of time...and flying 9-14 hours each way to get there.

I found that with 6-8 hour time zone change it wil take you a good 2 to 3 days to really recover. That means whather a 10 or 12 day cruise your going to need 2 to 3 days added to subtracted from your experience. Owing to the late night flight arrivals for most all airlines and the time zone plus the huge change in environment can really whack you good. It did me.

This is where I would seriously urge you to consider a cruise that starts in Australia/New Zealand, Peru or LA and sails to Tahiti. O has somegood ones like this Jan and March.. Then you pick an island you want to linger at or on and spend 3 to 4 days after the cruise. In this way you will be able to pick which place in Tahiti is most appealing to you.

Ok... I would if time is critical take the 12 day and fly in not less than 2 days before to recover I suggest moorea, softel... get out of Papetee as fast as possible it is not a nice place the other islands are.. Then at the end of the cruise spend another 3 or 4... and time it to take an Air France ( best flights) which has morning flights... not midnight red eye like Hawaiian, and Tahiti nui

However, nothing in my opinion beats the incredible experience of discovery arriving by sea, anticipating and feeling the excitement.. Way better than arriving in a metal tube in the middle of the night ....just not the same

you only get to visit Tahiti once for the first time.... maximize the experience......

For layover hotels there is the Tahit Nui down town right at the pier. and Softel Moorea, best beach, atmosphere and prices....

Ok I understand your plight.... First I have visited Tahiti rt from LA by ship, Transpacific by ship fly in sail away, Sail in and fly out and fly in fly out.

The biggest isssue it that of time...and flying 9-14 hours each way to get there.

I found that with 6-8 hour time zone change it wil take you a good 2 to 3 days to really recover. That means whather a 10 or 12 day cruise your going to need 2 to 3 days added to subtracted from your experience. Owing to the late night flight arrivals for most all airlines and the time zone plus the huge change in environment can really whack you good. It did me.

This is where I would seriously urge you to consider a cruise that starts in Australia/New Zealand, Peru or LA and sails to Tahiti. O has somegood ones like this Jan and March.. Then you pick an island you want to linger at or on and spend 3 to 4 days after the cruise. In this way you will be able to pick which place in Tahiti is most appealing to you.

Ok... I would if time is critical take the 12 day and fly in not less than 2 days before to recover I suggest moorea, softel... get out of Papetee as fast as possible it is not a nice place the other islands are.. Then at the end of the cruise spend another 3 or 4... and time it to take an Air France ( best flights) which has morning flights... not midnight red eye like Hawaiian, and Tahiti nui

However, nothing in my opinion beats the incredible experience of discovery arriving by sea, anticipating and feeling the excitement.. Way better than arriving in a metal tube in the middle of the night ....just not the same

you only get to visit Tahiti once for the first time.... maximize the experience......

For layover hotels there is the Tahit Nui down town right at the pier. and Softel Moorea, best beach, atmosphere and prices....

Flew in on the tube early morning and took the ferry to Moorea Intercontental. Wonderful place to stay in the over the water huts and then spent another two days in Papette Interconental before sailing out to Sydney for three more days then back to Florida. Very little time change problems. Great trip. Long flights, but worth it.

If you take a tour into the interior of Tahiti which most never do you will be amazed how gorgeous it is. It's like being in Jurassic Park. Before you listen to advice telling you to get out of Papeete as fast as you can consider this tour. I have been to Tahiti 8 times - 7 cruises on 3 different sized ships. The PG I do prefer although the Princess ship at twice the size was also excellent. The Royal Caribbean ship with 2000 people was simply too many for MOOREA and Bora Bora.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you take a tour into the interior of Tahiti which most never do you will be amazed how gorgeous it is. It's like being in Jurassic Park. Before you listen to advice telling you to get out of Papeete as fast as you can consider this tour. I have been to Tahiti 8 times - 7 cruises on 3 different sized ships. The PG I do prefer although the Princess ship at twice the size was also excellent. The Royal Caribbean ship with 2000 people was simply too many for MOOREA and Bora Bora.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The Marina with about 1000/1200 was perfect. Loved it. :):):)

I found that with 6-8 hour time zone change it wil take you a good 2 to 3 days to really recover.

The time zone for LA is (UTC -8) and Papeete is (UTC -10). Hence by my maths the time zone difference between LA & Tahiti is only 2 hours - not 6 to 8 :D

The time zone for LA is (UTC -8) and Papeete is (UTC -10). Hence by my maths the time zone difference between LA & Tahiti is only 2 hours - not 6 to 8 :D

Depending on time of year it can , with daylight savings it can add 1 hour ( +3)between LAX and PPT. for people coming from the east coast it can be another 3 hours (6) and from europe even more. Tahiti is in the same time zone as Hawaii

My figures are not just from LAX but the entire potential trip as the OP was from Florida

A quick comment on touring the interior of Tahiti.... Did it on a 4x4 tour 8 hours you see a dam site, some grasslands a powerstation. Its a road built ny the water people. Sadly much of the interiour is covered in an invasive plant which is choking out all the native plant... The other islands dont have this problem

must not have been patient enough to keep scrolling down, just found ones not starting in Tahita,etc.

Sounds like, unless we had LOTS of time, best to book air on own a day before and get hotel(with early arrival) see inside of Tahiti and get on ship next day.Since 12 day inc.Nuka Hiva(said not to miss) will be best bet.Also, day room on departure day(booked on own to avoid large crowd and take taxi to airport). Too bad you can t book day room with later departure time to avoid long airport wait,may have to ask and even pay more for it.

Will spring for business class upgrade and hope for the best,not a fan of long flights and worth the money for us.

Loved the Adventures in Paradise TV show yrs.ago, and dream of seeing the old version(when he was young,I mean)of Gardiner McKay on a sailboat.Sad to say, I googled him and found out he died yrs.ago,but BOY was he handsome and reason I always DREAMED of sailing there.

Have an O, Mexico cruise in Jan,and then O,Iceland to NYC in July. Never had a bad cruise with them and 5 taken so far.

One thing that we did, and this depends on whether your cruise overnights in PPT on the last night, is get off the ship on the last night and go to the airport and leave a day early. It will require an deviation charge, but it's worth it to not hang around all day the next day waiting to leave, unless you're going to spend extra time in the islands.

I have to tell you, having been there 3 times, there is not much of anything to do but walk around a tiny village.. see the church, and brows the market/show they set up for ships,, No rental cars, busses or anything. The ship tour to Tupai.. is pretty bad... since no vans or busses , they use 3 nissan pick ups, in which they lash 2 wooden benches .. and off you go up a winding steep switchback series stop to see the radio tower, and then to a cluster of concrete block homes and look in the church to see a wood carving, swing by the rockey beach and back in the pickup... bouncing along with dust/rain and bugs... Mind you I like nature but what you see is not much.

Sometimes the ship will invite local dancers on the ship to perform on deck. That is not to be missed.. But shore side... in about 2 hours you have seen everything twice...

The very best shore ex you can set up is either in Moorea or Bora, andd that is take a wave runner tour around the island... ship dosent offer them but you can set up with private companies... its about $250 pp for a 3 hour tour and worth every cent.... Id think twice on the 4x4 tour of Tahiti...

One thing that we did, and this depends on whether your cruise overnights in PPT on the last night, is get off the ship on the last night and go to the airport and leave a day early. It will require an deviation charge, but it's worth it to not hang around all day the next day waiting to leave, unless you're going to spend extra time in the islands.

We did this as well (we flew for miles - no deviation needed).

We did the excursion to the Taipivai Valley on Nuku Hiva and had a great time. We were in a Land Rover-type vehicle with comfortable seats. The guide didn't speak much English, but I speak a bit of French. I wanted to go there because of Herman Melville's first book set there, Typee.