Bug Spray!

BeverlyS

I took a small bottle of Ben's repellant with me to Puerto Rico for 10-night stay. I was out in El Yunque, Rio Grande, Vieques and was good. The last day/night I was in San Juan. Dumb me, I didn't put any on - sure enough, the next morning I had one good bite on my leg...

In Grand Cayman, I never had an issue with mosquitoes - it is the nasty little no-see-ums and sand mites that got me :eek:

Those little suckers are drawn to me terribly! Hubby never gets bit. Any suggestions for the best bug repellent to use in Mexico, Grand Cayman and Key West?

I get ya. They love me too. A little hint from my time living in sub-Saharan Africa-don't eat bananas when you are planning on traveling to mosquito regions. They are attracted to the potassium in bananas. Also tonic water (with quinine) helps to deter them-it does not prevent malaria but it will help to deter mosquitoes. Don't rely on it solely as a source of protection but it helps.

I use Watkins brand from Costco. It comes in small containers (and they have a balm as well). The small spray containers fit in the liquids TSA bags.

I cannot wear long pants because I sweat like crazy so I have to rely on the repellant. As well they are drawn to the sweat and mosquitoes bite through material (even jeans) as my daughter found out when living in Africa with us.

All that being said, I did not encounter any problems in Mexico, Grand Caymen or Key West.

We did stick away from the Everglades because I figured it just wasn't worth the hassle of reapplying often (sweat will reduce the effect of the repellant just as it does with sunscreen).

Hope this helps.

Mosquitos may be attracted to you due to what you are eating or not eating. Generally, they hate bananas and garlic - the more you eat of these, the less likely you are to get bitten. At the same time, do use a good spay. A lot of people like Avon's Skin So Soft with mosquito repellant and SPF.

Whatever you use at home, use on the ship! I'm lucky...I hardly EVER get bitten (probably because I used to ride my bike thru the mosquito fogger truck in the Dismal swamp, in Va...when I was a kid>.....I'm probably toxic!)...Hubby and daughter get eaten up!

Mosquitos may be attracted to you due to what you are eating or not eating. Generally, they hate bananas and garlic - the more you eat of these, the less likely you are to get bitten. At the same time, do use a good spay. A lot of people like Avon's Skin So Soft with mosquito repellant and SPF.

Depends on the mosquito. The Tiger mosquito is attracted to bananas. No idea about the Aegypti mosquito

Depends on the mosquito. The Tiger mosquito is attracted to bananas. No idea about the Aegypti mosquito

Funny eh? I read some research articles on the whole banana thing. There is evidence regarding mosquitoes being more attracted to those who ingest bananas but the studies are limited.

We went by the evidence of people who lived in Africa for 34 years.

Mosquitoes are going to bite you no matter what you use. Just do the best you can and don't worry too much. As I mentioned before I really did not notice too many mosquitoes in any of the islands we visited and they are super attracted to me.

If you are super worried remember you must spray your clothes as well and your hair too. They love to bite the scalp. They do bite through clothes (even thick clothes like jeans so remember to spray your clothes :).