Air arrival time and ship departure time

klmj

What is the latest my flight could come into Fort Lauderdale for a 4 pm Port Canaveral departure or same for a Miami flight and Miami Port? I really was hoping to fly in the night before, but with our schedules, it just won't work out that way.

If the ship leaves at 4pm, is a noon arrival time enough to get out of the airport and shuttle to the ship?

And then, what time will they let us leave the ship at the end of the trip? Would a noon flight out be feasible?

thanks.

Edited by klmj

What is the latest my flight could come into Fort Lauderdale for a 4 pm Port Canaveral departure or same for a Miami flight and Miami Port? I really was hoping to fly in the night before, but with our schedules, it just won't work out that way.

If the ship leaves at 4pm, is a noon arrival time enough to get out of the airport and shuttle to the ship?

And then, what time will they let us leave the ship at the end of the trip? Would a noon flight out be feasible?

thanks.

What is the date of your cruise and where are flying from ? Cruise lines don't recommend arrival at the FLL after 11:45AM. You have to be checked in by 2:30PM or be denied boarding. If you can fly in the day before or before 10AM. If your plane is late due to weather or mechanical issues you could miss the ship.

Port Canaveral is 200 miles north of the Fort Lauderdale airport. If you meant Port Everglades, then yes a noon arrival is doable, but I wouldn't advise it. It's only a 10 minute cab ride to the port. I've never done MIA to port of Miami, I believe it's a longer cab ride.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Port Canaveral is 200 miles north of the Fort Lauderdale airport. If you meant Port Everglades, then yes a noon arrival is doable, but I wouldn't advise it. It's only a 10 minute cab ride to the port. I've never done MIA to port of Miami, I believe it's a longer cab ride.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is the correct response. MIA to Port Everglades is 45 minutes, after you claim your bags and find your transport.

The cruise we are leaning on taking is out of Miami, but there are others that I am looking at. I found a flight with Sun Country that arrives at 11:36 am and the ship leaves at 4pm and then ports at 8am when we return with a flight departure of 12:30. We are flying out of Minneapolis.

The cruise is March 19-26 and is the Norwegian Getaway.

The other Fort Lauderdale one I was talking about must be Port Everglades. I was looking on ************* and it just says Fort Lauderdale, so I assumed Port Canaveral. I'm relearning learning my ports. ;) It's been about 15 years since we have cruised.

OK. You jsut got another FYI. The ****** in your last post means you mentioned a travel agent (or possibly something else, but probably a travel agent), which we are not allowed to do on Cruise Critic.

No one will recommend arriving the same day as your sailing, particularly during winter season, and flying from a cold climate. But people still do it. The common recommendation to catch the earliest flights possible, with the fewest connections.

Things have changed so much since we have cruised. All 4 of our other cruises, we booked with a travel agent and flights all left the same day as the cruise. :(

Thanks, CruiserBruce on the ***** comment. I should have known better, and figured that was the case when I saw that.

Things have changed so much since we have cruised. All 4 of our other cruises, we booked with a travel agent and flights all left the same day as the cruise. :(

Thanks, CruiserBruce on the ***** comment. I should have known better, and figured that was the case when I saw that.

We aren't worried about the flights that leave the day of the cruise, its the ones that arrive (at the departure port) the day of the cruise.

We aren't worried about the flights that leave the day of the cruise, its the ones that arrive (at the departure port) the day of the cruise.

Yep, that's what I meant. When we have booked in the past, always with a travel agent, we always flew out of (aka, left) Minneapolis the same day the ship left. We never had a hotel at the cities port the night before.

I found a flight with Sun Country that arrives at 11:36 am and the ship leaves at 4pm

The other Fort Lauderdale one I was talking about must be Port Everglades. I was looking on ************* and it just says Fort Lauderdale, so I assumed Port Canaveral. I'm relearning learning my ports. ;) It's been about 15 years since we have cruised.

Yes, Port Everglades is in Fort Lauderdale, and Port Canaveral is a few hours up the coast, closer to Orlando.

As for your potential flights.... I'm not really familiar with Sun Country, but I would check and see what other options they have to get you there the same day, in the event that your flight is severely delayed or canceled. Make sure it isn't one of those "once a day" routes with no alternative that could get you there in time. If so, definitely plan to arrive the day before.

Yep, that's what I meant. When we have booked in the past, always with a travel agent, we always flew out of (aka, left) Minneapolis the same day the ship left. We never had a hotel at the cities port the night before.

And most of the time you'll be fine flying in the same day. But things do happen, flights do get delayed or canceled, and people do miss ships. See my comment above, and make sure you have a viable alternative.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been on close to 20 cruises and I live in Minneaplois. I ALWAYS fly in the day/night before. I would only consider not doing it, if a direct flight and flying Delta (since MSP is hub, and many flight options available) But, if not possible, then book air through cruise line, because they will then help you rebook if something does happen with your flight.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I would only consider not doing it, if a direct flight and flying Delta (since MSP is hub, and many flight options available) But, if not possible, then book air through cruise line, because they will then help you rebook if something does happen with your flight.

It's actual a nonstop flight that you want, not direct. A direct flight can actually have stops. (All nonstop flights are direct, but not all direct flights are nonstop.)

Also, contrary to popular belief, if you book through the airline and something happens with your flight, the airline will help you rebook. People seem to sometimes think that the airline will cancel or delay a flight and then just tell you "tough luck, figure it out yourself" but they will help you. ;)