Overnight Stay Before Cruise in Miami

bobbyandali

Booked the Sensation for a Saturday - Thursday cruise in May. Plan on flying to Miami (actually Ft. Lauderdale on Southwest) Friday evening. Need a place to stay Friday night. Would like something decent but not super expensive and perhaps with airport and cruise transfers. Any suggestions? I've never been to Miami before.

Edited by bobbyandali

If you are flying into Fort Lauderdale. There probably aren't any hotels in Miami that have transfer from Fort Lauderdale. Look at UBer , shuttle or private or service to get to Miami. Why not fly into Miami ??

I'm not the original poster but Southwest does not fly into Miami. I have the same problem.

The YVE Hotel Downtown Miami was highly recommended and they offer transfers to the Port. Close to Bayside Shopping Mall: https://www.destinationhotels.com/yve-miami?utm_source=google-knowledge-graph&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=my_business_page

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sorry, but the YVE is the worst hotel we've ever been to in Miami.

The rooms are tiny and the service is awful. The elevators will only hold like two people with luggage.

I'd go for the intercontinental or a cheap option would be the holiday Inn.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

Hi - we are also flying into FLL for our Miami cruise in Jan. We're staying at the Holiday Inn Port Of Miami Downtown and I got a great quote from Jiffy Jeff from the airport at FLL to the airport for $15 pp (shared ride)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by LadyAnastasia10

Booked the Sensation for a Saturday - Thursday cruise in May. Plan on flying to Miami (actually Ft. Lauderdale on Southwest) Friday evening. Need a place to stay Friday night. Would like something decent but not super expensive and perhaps with airport and cruise transfers. Any suggestions? I've never been to Miami before.

I would stay in the FLL area and then use a shared shuttle service (SAS, QLS, MJS & Go Airport are often suggested) or Uber to get to POM and your ship the next morning.

http://www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info.

Your "not super expensive" leaves a lot to interpretation -- budget range? :confused:

Just use Uber.

Uber from FLL to MIA will cost around $32-$40. Quicker and easier than using a shuttle van, much less expensive than a taxi. Uber from a downtown Miami hotel to the Port Of Miami might be $5.00-$7.00. If you want to stay close stay somewhere in Downtown Miami or Brickell. Intercontinental and Holiday Inn in Downtown are popular. Can also look at the Langford. Choices in Brickell too, Hampton Inn seems to be a popular choice. As for the cruise shuttle, I don't know which hotels have it or don't but I would not worry, its such a cheap and quick ride anyway.

Sorry, but the YVE is the worst hotel we've ever been to in Miami.

The rooms are tiny and the service is awful. The elevators will only hold like two people with luggage.

I'd go for the intercontinental or a cheap option would be the holiday Inn.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

I enjoy the YVE. I have never stayed there before a cruise but stay there everytime we go down for concerts and football games. It is also close to all the nightclubs. I always have received excellent service

Stay in Ft Lauderdale then shuttle to the POM the next day.

I suggest La Quinta Inn FLL Airport - Decent place at a decent price with a nice hot tub and pool overlooking a lake, breakfast and free airport shuttle.

I agree. FLL is a nicer airport, but paying to get to Miami is the problem. Just an added expense.

No, not really...Taxi fare alone from MIA to POM is $27. Shared shuttle from FLL to POM is $15 per person, so the $3 difference (two people) is negligible compared to the money you save flying into FLL.

Another option is renting a car at FLL, dropping it at MIA and then riding the free shuttle to the POM.

Problem solved.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Flying into Ft Lauderdale is not a problem, it's a blessing.

That really depends on the airline and time of day. FLL is a mess these days, both inside the terminal and outside. MIA has a lot more amenities, and options for travelers in the airport.

That really depends on the airline and time of day. FLL is a mess these days, both inside the terminal and outside. MIA has a lot more amenities, and options for travelers in the airport.

Obviously, I completely disagree with your biased information. Anytime I've been through MIA it was a mess, especially international flights. I've always found FLL to be simple, quick, easy and I don't have to walk a mile or so to get to the baggage section.

Obviously, I completely disagree with your biased information. Anytime I've been through MIA it was a mess, especially international flights. I've always found FLL to be simple, quick, easy and I don't have to walk a mile or so to get to the baggage section.

I have never flown into FLL on an international flight, so I cannot compare. Miami can be difficult.

For domestic flights I prefer Miami because they have better amenities and you can check you luggage in earlier if you have a later flight. FLL is the only airport where I have seen hundreds of people sitting around with their luggage waiting to check it in.

International flights are always more of a hassle than domestic. That is just the way it is. Both airports have their plus and minuses. It is true FLL is small in area, so there is certainly less walking to do. But FLL also has much fewer amenities. Terminal 3 is a mess on the morning and evening, with almost no where to sit. Terminal 1 has few eating options. Terminal 2 is the same, and its an old terminal. Terminal 4, is under construction right now for the most part, but when done it should finally be a decent international terminal.

It all depends on the travelers scheduled, destination etc.. Both airports are fine. But its not longer the case that FLL was some great alternative IMO. It used to be say 10 years ago. But now FLL is the crowded one with all the renovations completed or almost complete in MIA.

International flights are always more of a hassle than domestic. That is just the way it is. Both airports have their plus and minuses. It is true FLL is small in area, so there is certainly less walking to do. But FLL also has much fewer amenities. Terminal 3 is a mess on the morning and evening, with almost no where to sit. Terminal 1 has few eating options. Terminal 2 is the same, and its an old terminal. Terminal 4, is under construction right now for the most part, but when done it should finally be a decent international terminal.

It all depends on the travelers scheduled, destination etc.. Both airports are fine. But its not longer the case that FLL was some great alternative IMO. It used to be say 10 years ago. But now FLL is the crowded one with all the renovations completed or almost complete in MIA.

MIA's biggest problem is Southwest does not service that airport.

I don't go to airports for amenities, I go to get in and get out. And the very last thing I want to do is pay the highway robbery prices just to have a hotdog or a Diet Coke (which will be free when I'm on the plane if I fly Southwest from FLL).

Since you hangout/work at/fly in and out of MIA, how would you know what FLL is like on a daily basis?

Edited by Lido_Deck

I don't go to airports for amenities, I go to get in and get out. The last thing I want to do is pay the highway robbery prices just to have a hotdog.

Since you hangout/work at/fly in and out of MIA, how would you know what FLL is like on a daily basis?

I don't hang-out or work at MIA. That's just my username. I fly out of FLL almost as much as I fly out of MIA these days. I live in Miami, travel a decent amount, on different airlines. Out of my last 6 trips out of South Florida 3 of them involved flights into and out of FLL. I am very familiar with the airport, as would anyone who travels often that lives in the area is.

While you may not appreciate amenities to make the travel experience smoother and more comfortable many others do. Like I said, it all depend on each person's needs/wants.

I don't hang-out or work at MIA. That's just my username. I fly out of FLL almost as much as I fly out of MIA these days. I live in Miami, travel a decent amount, on different airlines. Out of my last 6 trips out of South Florida 3 of them involved flights into and out of FLL. I am very familiar with the airport, as would anyone who travels often that lives in the area is.

While you may not appreciate amenities to make the travel experience smoother and more comfortable many others do. Like I said, it all depend on each person's needs/wants.

Getting in and out of FLL via the highways to drop off or pick up passengers is quick and easy compared to trying to get into and out of MIA not mention the horrible traffic.

What were the 3 flights out of FLL? What terminal, what airlines and what was your destination? I rarely, if ever fly on anything other than Southwest for domestic travel so I have never been in any terminal other than #1 at FLL. It's as quick and easy as can be and I always breeze through.

I agree with you terminal 1 is an easy terminal. Small with no amenities, but for the typical Southwest flight it gets the job done fine.

Last 3 flights out of FLL were on JetBlue, American and Southwest. Southwest was a 10:00pm flight out, terminal was fine. Terminal 3 American/JetBlue is packed in the evening and mornings I have used it. Not even places to sit sometimes.