Tipping Cabin Steward?

MarinaDCA

Tipping is a very personal thing; having said that, if someone does an outstanding job and you want to reward that person, please also fill out a comment card...:cool: those cards are so important. i enjoy filling those cards out and writing a fantastic recommendation about them!

Edited by Lastdance

It's a super personal choice, but we always ask for a few things when we board and because of that, we tip our cabin steward/stewardess $20 on meeting him/her the first day. (i.e. - ice every day, extra towels, no feather pillows, empty fridge). Then, if he/she has been really good, we give him/her another $20-$40. This is if there are just the 2 of us in the cabin. A few times, we haven't given the steward anything extra on other cruise lines.

We don't usually do this on other cruise lines and I don't really know why. :confused: It just seems to work for us on Celebrity better this way. I think the vast majority of people do not pre-tip and many don't even post-tip. Again, there's no right or wrong - just what works for you.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

We have never had a bad stateroom attendant. They have always been good to amazing. So we tip each day before going for dinner. We get extra envelopes from guest relations and tip b/t $5 - $20 per night and leave it on the bed. In a few cases we have left an additional tip on our last night.

Always thought TIPS stood for "to insure prompt service"...or something like that....and that at some point in history it went from pre meal to post meal....

If that were true it would be called TEPS ;)

Bribery is a strong word...esp in a legal context and do not think it applies here...sorry some took it that way...

Always thought TIPS stood for "to insure prompt service"...or something like that....and that at some point in history it went from pre meal to post meal....

Some give tips on day 1 as "incentive"

While tips at the end of cruise as "reward".

Thank you to all you answered the question I actually asked and did not want to debate tipping. I agree that its very personal and I did not want this to become one of THOSE threads :)

Some people can't seem to help themselves and cannot let others discuss something without weighing in with disagreement about it. But I have gotten some great advice and feel more comfortable about my plan going forward :)

Thank you to all you answered the question I actually asked and did not want to debate tipping. I agree that its very personal and I did not want this to become one of THOSE threads :)

Some people can't seem to help themselves and cannot let others discuss something without weighing in with disagreement about it. But I have gotten some great advice and feel more comfortable about my plan going forward :)

Well, if everyone agreed, what a boring world this would be.

Are you also planning to pre-tip your waiter in the MDR to ensure great service? :rolleyes:

On a recent cruise, handed our main cabin attendant two $10's three days into the cruise and suggested he could decided what to do with it. They had done several of the things I like such as an egg create mattress topper, emptying the fridge, ice, oranges instead of apples etc.

He immediately went to his assistant and gave him $10. I was testing to see how he handled it. The last night I gave him another two $10's because of additional things they did and their personalities/interaction. We had problems with plumbing and electrical.

I've been on another cruise where the attendant was non personable and just did his job. He only received his regular gratuity.

So it's really up to you to decide if what they do for you warrants additional compensation. BTW they do get to keep what you hand them without having to pool it.

Synonym of bribe is incentive. So yes, bribe works for me but just seems so European soccerish. When I find the perfect bar to enjoy for the week and the perfect bartender, I find a $50 and place it in their hand the first day. I let them know this is my new favorite place and they are my new favorite bartender. When I return each day my drink is made perfectly and placed in front of me. If others are waiting for service and my drink is made first, don't be a hater.

I've concluded that if you give the master of the vessel a $1,000 tip at the beginning of the cruise you will have better weather and smoother seas. ;)

if only there was a cc 'like' button

[emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We used to tip at the beginning and the end of the cruise but one time we had a really bad steward and we were sorry we had tipped him at the beginning. When we did, we tipped $20 at the beginning and $20 at the end.

Now, we tip as we go along and then at the end. If they do something for us (like get us more ice, extra towels, foot stools for the balcony), we tip a couple of bucks each time. We've had some great stewards that made more doing it this way than if we would have handed them a $20 in the beginning and a $20 at the end.

It's a super personal choice, but we always ask for a few things when we board and because of that, we tip our cabin steward/stewardess $20 on meeting him/her the first day. (i.e. - ice every day, extra towels, no feather pillows, empty fridge). Then, if he/she has been really good, we give him/her another $20-$40.

We do it this way almost all the time: $20 with the initial "list of demands," and then more at the end (and sometimes along the way, depending on the situation).

I always thought tips were given ahead of time, "To Insure Prompt Service," but according to snopes that isn't how the word came into use in this context.

Weve sometimes tipped right away to room steward after asking for ice right away. But I totally agree befriending you favorite bartenders is a good thing. We tip the favorite bartenders during he cruise and at the end. You. Know who they are they just stand out and become your friend throughout the cruise.

I know they just want my money (lol) but they work incredibly hard.

Do what your conscience tells you..they sure appreciate it I know that.

Happy Crusing!!

Well, if everyone agreed, what a boring world this would be.

Are you also planning to pre-tip your waiter in the MDR to ensure great service? :rolleyes:

Yes - because I will ask the waiter to drag an egg crate to my room and to empty our my fridge!

I agree that it would be a boring world if we all agreed. But I did not ask SHOULD I do this, I asked since I AM going to do this.... Maybe not a great place to debate whether or not to do something. As I said (several times) I get that this is not something everyone does or wants to do or even thinks should be done. Are you unable to get why someone else might have a different opinion to yours?

Edited by MarinaDCA

On a recent cruise, handed our main cabin attendant two $10's three days into the cruise and suggested he could decided what to do with it. They had done several of the things I like such as an egg create mattress topper, emptying the fridge, ice, oranges instead of apples etc.

He immediately went to his assistant and gave him $10. I was testing to see how he handled it. The last night I gave him another two $10's because of additional things they did and their personalities/interaction. We had problems with plumbing and electrical.

I've been on another cruise where the attendant was non personable and just did his job. He only received his regular gratuity.

So it's really up to you to decide if what they do for you warrants additional compensation. BTW they do get to keep what you hand them without having to pool it.

This is a good idea actually, to tip a few days in to the cruise, thank you! :)

This is a good idea actually, to tip a few days in to the cruise, thank you! :)

I do it that way because I don't want to train them to expect a tip every time they do something for me. I tip them when they've done nothing special at that moment.

I'm the same way with my spousal unit. I bring her roses when I feel like she'd like them because the two dozen looks great and for no other reason. I never use flowers as an apology or thank you. That way she never knows in advance when she'll get them and doesn't say, what did you do wrong. lol

I do it that way because I don't want to train them to expect a tip every time they do something for me. I tip them when they've done nothing special at that moment.

I'm the same way with my spousal unit. I bring her roses when I feel like she'd like them because the two dozen looks great and for no other reason. I never use flowers as an apology or thank you. That way she never knows in advance when she'll get them and doesn't say, what did you do wrong. lol

Now THAT is a great idea :)

As I said (several times) I get that this is not something everyone does or wants to do or even thinks should be done. Are you unable to get why someone else might have a different opinion to yours?

You are free to have a different opinion, as I am free to express mine. Have a nice cruise. :)