Live from Seabourn Encore

Able Seaman H

Able seaman H: Please say hello from Peter to MS Veronica Berlin, assistant to the bridge instructor. I miss her and look forward to seeing her soon. Thank you and fair winds.

I passed on your best wishes this morning.

We have had such a great time in the card room this cruise. I know bridge and laughter aren't often used in the same sentence but there have been times when tears were literally rolling down our cheeks.

The first leg of the cruise things went at far too fast a pace for me and we didn't get to touch many cards but I stuck it out. This leg we have found a small group of like minded people some slightly more advanced than others but all happy to learn at a pace which suited the slowest in the group. Me !!

I can almost play a game now and even participated in a couple of rounds of contract bridge where, presumably by some mathematical error we didn't come last on one occasion !

Both Katherine and Veronica are great sports and Katherine an excellent instructor.

Henry :)

Thank you very much for passing my message on. Actually when Veronica and I play bridge it starts out let's have fun but often ends up more serious. Henry, I am glad you are having fun and I know the ladies will appreciate your positive words. Best wishes, F. Peter Gomes

Lovely photo. Thank you for your reports, I have enjoyed them. If I'm reading correctly, I would say you are impressed with the Encore and all of us who were concerned about the size can relax. We were originally booked for the inaugural but had to cancel. We now have to wait until March, I hope it still has that brand new feeling.

This post follows one I wrote above regarding my initial impressions of Encore in terms of the Odyssey class ships. And in particular about the Retreat.

As I said then, I have no intention of cosseting myself away in this enclave at $350 a day - which is located within the central area of deck 12. But if others choose to do so and if Seabourn thinks this makes them money - despite the loss of the golf practice and shuffle board area that occupies a similar position on the Odyssey class ships- well, that's their business.

But a few days ago some roping off and accompanying signage appeared on the Retreat deck, deck 12, that stick in my craw. They say "out of bounds" which means that you cannot walk from the pool deck up to and across deck 12 to the front of deck 12 any longer. Nor can you walk alongside either side of the Retreat if you take the ship's forward elevators up to deck 12. Further there is signage near the deck 12 front sun loungers saying "Do not attempt to reserve deck chairs" whereas there is no such signage anywhere else on the Encore. What's all that about?!?

Bearing in mind that there are no top deck access restrictions on the Odyssey class ships, I hate the idea that Seabourn may be going the way of some of its competition with a class system that more money buys than what the Odyssey product and its history i.e. Scandinavian standards of equality have always provided. But that's exactly what restricted access to the areas near this "Retreat" means. What's next? Butlers, a pecking order for restaurant reservations and surcharges and the like- as you have on Seabourn wannabes Oceania, Azamara, Regent and Silversea and mass market Celebrity and Royal Caribbean with their "luxury" classes. Heaven forbid.

Further, it seems to me that the deck 5 walking area is smaller than that on the Odyssey class ships and yet Encore is a larger capacity ship by 150 passengers.

So the last thing walkers and everyone else would like is less access to deck 12, right?

C'mon now... if you want to operate this Retreat don't penalize everyone else by taking away their space and access to deck 12. Respect what Seabourn has long emulated with its democratic style and cut out this access restriction now!

Happy and healthy sailing!

I imagine both Henry and Markham are getting ready to disembark shortly, but apropos of Markham's last post, I am sure people would love to know how much this Retreat has been used on this cruise? I am rather hoping not at all!

When one or both of you have time, it would be good to hear your views.

If the retreat is now out of bounds for walkers and joggers, where do we go? Maybe we shall have to revert to deck 5 as we do on the Odyssey class ships. Seabourn ship designers never seem to have in mind those of us who like to walk or jog round open decks.

Edited by eliana

We too are concerned that the "exclusive" Retreat concept is the first step towards a class system and worse, the kind of clientele it will appeal to. One of the great joys of Seabourn is that all pax are treated equally and have access to all areas of the ship. The pay-to-play Retreat is a rather vulgar contradiction of that philosophy and it's a slippery slope.

Wow I'm humbled. Is that you Dad? I didn't know you were au fair with Internet forums :)

Today has been a mixture of bridge (the card game) where what we lack in skill we make up for in humour. I know you aren't suppose to laugh playing bridge but amongst friends we've had great fun. I'm nowhere near there yet but occasionally there is a dim flicker and the Bridge lecturer has the patience of a saint.

Hi Henry --So glad you kept up with the Bridge!! Hope you are having fun! Thanks for the wonderful pictures of the ship we started on with you. Hope to see you again sometime.

Penny

Lincslady and other long-term CC friends,

I am very gratified that in the few hours since I posted my criticism of barring passengers from walking up to and around deck 12 where this "Retreat" is has received so many responses and views. I have made my opinion known to Guest Sevices and will shortly do so to the Hotel Director.

I have another 3.5 weeks on Encore and will gladly report on events here. So please forward your questions and I will try to respond. You might also inform your TAs and Seabourn management of what you believe this ridiculous change

portends for you as a passenger and the brand.

By the way, I have looked into the Retreat area a few times since we left India - now we are in Singapore - and there have been no passengers at the Retreat on port days and 3-4 on sea days. Does this concept sound like sufficient reason to bar the other 550+ passengers currently on Encore from passing by the exterior of Retreat's area, in your opinion, if they want to do so?

I have spoken to lots of people whilst on Encore regarding the Retreat and the general consensus is a feeling of negativity.

I'm going to be somewhat controversial and say that in it's current form I have no problem with the retreat. If it's the thin edge of the wedge and Seabourn seeks to generate revenue from all the areas which have added to this cruise such as the TK Grill, Sushi etc. then yes, we will vote with our feet but whilst it's just the retreat I have no problem.

Would we spend $350 a day to use it? Probably not - well we didn't so no. Do I have a problem with others who want to use it? Absolutely not. Has it's presence in any way detracted from my enjoyment of the cruise? No.

I finally discovered where the table tennis is located, out of the gym onto the aft decking, turn right then right again. One table tennis table ready willing and able. I can see a bit of a clash between spa users and excited ping pong players but let's see how than unfolds. I also believe shuffleboard is in the process of being introduced.

As for jogging areas, cruise ships are notoriously difficult to find the perfect spot. I have seen people using deck 10 around the pool and also a circuit back and forth on deck 5 across the aft deck an up the sides. Was the retreat area really prime jogging real estate on other ships ?

Just a thought - there are very good running / walking machines in the gym as well as cross trainers and my personal favourite a rowing machine.

I think the do not reserve signs are as a result of passengers "reserving" chairs by way of a book etc then buggering off and not using them. The signs help staff enforce a policy which has been in place for a very long time but which is routinely abused by people.

Lovely photo. Thank you for your reports, I have enjoyed them. If I'm reading correctly, I would say you are impressed with the Encore and all of us who were concerned about the size can relax. We were originally booked for the inaugural but had to cancel. We now have to wait until March, I hope it still has that brand new feeling.

You have indeed read my words correctly.

We have had a superb cruise. The ship is wonderful, the staff have gone above and beyond to ensure our happiness and I have eaten like a king !!

A few things need to be ironed out - can you see what I did there :) but they are just tweaks. For a new ship there has been surprisingly little disruption in passenger areas. Some floor finishes have needed to be worked on meaning elevators temporarily out of action (not all at once) and the a/c temperature can be variable between areas but these are fine tuning adjustments not fundamental issues.

As for overall size of the ship - we still bump into people just as regularly.

I have heard moaning from passengers but in my humble opinion their complaints are largely unfounded. Seabourn passengers are not renowned for their love of change and do like to have a grumble. I spoke to someone complaining there were now 2 shows a night rather than 1. When I asked at what time she would prefer the single show to be she said, "the old time 9.30pm." Well I think you will find it was 9.45pm and the second show is now 10.00pm with an earlier option of 8.30pm. Does that 15 minutes really make or break a cruise ?

We will all still get off the ship and hit that wall of realisation that the staff and service levels are way beyond that of land based establishments.

Enjoy March.

Henry,

About recreation, outdoor space, the Odyssey class ships and the one class standard of Seabourn that has stood the test of time, here are my views:

The Encore has LESS space on deck 5 and now virtually no deck space on its top deck 12 for walkers than the Ody class ships while carrying 150 more people, many of whom don't want to walk on a machine. That's where the question of restricting access to deck 12 at the expense of walkers - and to everyone - else arises.

There is no shuffle board and/or golf area because the Retreat was plopped down where they would have been. What a pity.

Yes, someone has tried to affix tape to the deck 5 portside deck in order to simulate a shuffleboard area. Its use would further restrict access to walkers there, of course.

About the "Don't attempt to reserve deckchair signs" which I see only on deck 12 forward, I am supportive. These signs might as well be on other decks too since there are couples who claim loungers for themselves with their books and other clobber, just as you say. And I certainly hope - just to be clear - that these specific deck 12 signs are not the first step in reserving these loungers to Retreat patrons.

Let's see where this all leads... For me, I am glad that my next cruise is on Odyssey whose maiden voyage I enjoyed and which was marked by an exquisite, intimate and dramatic celebration in Venice. Let's also see how tomorrow's celebration here in Singapore for Encore compares.

I do recall at the time of Odyssey's launch there was an outcry bemoaning it's gargantuan proportions and fear that the once social atmosphere of Seabourn would be lost forever.

Your choice of the word "intimate" to describe the inaugural celebrations wasn't one widely linked to the old girl at the time.

I reiterate my thoughts that walking and jogging areas on a cruise ship are always at odds with other recreational activities, most usually sunbathing.

I don't recall that you were present for the Odyssey launch in Singapore. Be that as it may, I was very impressed by the acrobats and clowns on Odyssey's deck 8 (poolside), the setting near St. Marks Square, and beautiful fireworks - under the supervision of the lovely Pam Conover and sorely missed Barry Hopkins.

About the exigencies of walking/jogging areas versus the Retreat, I made a point about restricting deck access on level 12 favor the area around the Retreat. That's it. Oh, and there was the point about the Retreat's usage by a handful of people at the expense of what there are on the Odyssey, Sojourn and Quest: widely used golf and shuffle board facilities. I hope this clarifies matters.

We will see in the fullness of time how Seabourn responds to market feedback now that the impact of its new Retreat facility and related policies have been revealed for what they are.

You know, I was just thinking about what I originally meant by "intimacy" when I described the Odyssey's launch celebration in Venice of 2009. The setting was just incredible in a romantic kind of way. We will see what Singapore will deliver up for Encore tomorrow.

But about "intimacy", this is a good time to remind everyone what the Odyssey brought to Seabourn passengers: balconies for most cabins where the little sisters had virtually none and about 30% more space per passenger. That meant that the open deck space was vastly improved and interior public spaces were delivered in very generous proportions. So if "intimate" means small or cozy then Odyssey was no longer representative of that brand.

Anyway, we are used to free access to upper deck areas, the sports area of deck 11, and deck 5's space for walking. Wouldn't you expect equivalent or proportionately more space on Encore since it carries 150 more passengers?

And, for discussion's sake, if not, why not?

There will obviously need to be changes to Encore going forward, in my opinion.

The most obvious is -new subject! - The Club which has no bartender, an extremely small dance floor and floor space overall, too much furniture and a very inefficient layout. And very little patronage on this cruise, not surprisingly. The TK bar and Observation Bar are picking up the Club crowd. As I recall the 200 passenger little sisters, the clubs in those ships were better designed and more functional.

Edited by markham

I'll chat about my thoughts on the various spaces in a while. For the moment can I just say what a fantastic port of call Singapore is.

Dropped off in the Marina Bay area. Had a long walk around the gardens, a bit of lunch, a wander round the shopping area, an extravagant cup of tea and slice of cake, noticed they have a Din Tai Fung - I kill for that food !!

Safe, air conditioned, lots of clean toilets where ever you go, taxis all metered and controlled.

Singapore deserves its place in the cruise market.

Lincslady

Yes, you can take the forward lifts and stair to deck 12 or the exterior stairs from outside deck 11's Observation Bar to deck 12. Relative to the Ody class ships, what you will find there is a much smaller sun deck area of 10 double width sun loungers. You cannot walk rearwards towards the Retreat, a relatively larger area than what is found in a similar location on the Ody class ships for deck sports, or beyond it to the stairs that lead down to decks 11, 10's Sky Bar and deck 9's poolside, bar and Patio. One might say it's all reserved for Seabourn's first first class passengers.

Imagine that.

Safe, air conditioned, lots of clean toilets where ever you go, taxis all metered and controlled.

But have you been able to find any gum on sidewalks?

Had no interest in Encore until reading your great posts. Last week, I booked for March. Looks like they finally put a bar on a SB ship that will be comfortable.

There is no suggestion that the sun beds on deck 12 forward are reserved only for users of the retreat - incidentally I noticed today that a $50 Spa credit is included in the Retreat package.

The thin passage ways running alongside the retreat and leading to the pool facing seats with their backs to the metal wall of the retreat have been roped off. You can still access the seating area using stairs leading up from the Sky Bar. We have actually sat there for a while but haven't seen others using the space.

I think the argument over the Retreat is more to do with people wanting free run of the ship rather than land grab preventing previously enjoyed activities. Suffleboard will be introduced properly and I suspect you will see a golf simulator at some point in the future though that might be pay to use. As it is the table tennis table is actually in a much better space now from the point of wind ruining a game.

I see the Retreat as a direct replacement for the pay to play area above the Spa which never got used. I wasn't allowed in there, or indeed the "Thermal area" unless I paid. If I was arguing the toss over any space on the ship it would be the deck just outside the Gym which the Spa are trying to claim as their own private area when clearly that isn't the case as ping pong isn't a pay to use activity but that's where it's located.

We have always found a spot to base ourselves outside with ease be it around the pool, aft on deck 5 or forward on deck 7. There is also the area aft of the pool on deck 11 and forward of the pool on the same deck.

I'm not changing my mind about the retreat being the place that will be used by crew for their party's.

No Seabourn ship is designed for runners or even ideal for walkers.

I run in the gym but you can't beat running on a designated track or walking on a promenade deck on a ship.fortunately there are a few ships that have these facilities if it is a deal breaker.

Thanks to Markham and AS Henry for your detailed points of view.

I will have to wait until August before I am aboard the Encore.

Sent from my iPad using Forums