Live from Seabourn Encore

Able Seaman H

I love sushi my partner not so much. Are any cooked items offered on the menu or off the menu? If not, I guess we will have to dine elsewhere.

No, just as per the menu. It might be possible to have something else brought in through the TK kitchen on a one off basis.

Henry :)

Just FYI Mr L. Handré is now officially known around the ship as Adonis and was presented with his new name badge at todays noon trivia

Why is handre "L Handre" and why Adonis? Trivia question?

Edited by sfvoyage

Yes,it's a difficult issue as you want them to try and come up with something that works for most of the guests.

The wine glass thing is too much for me as you know that I like to drink good wine and to serve it in a beaker/tumbler is just not on.

I have different glasses for each type of grape variety and it really does make or break the wine.

The "share a bone" dining concept surely cannot work as does the "hot rocks cook your own steak and cover your shirt in grease" idea not do it for me on Silversea.

The Sushi restaurant is of course going to be an instant hit as it is on Crystal.

If you run out of underpants are you going to wear Sharons silk knickers like you do at home.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I had thought that Seabourn had stopped its stupidity of using tumblers for wine in the Colonnade. I have complained about this for more than fifteen years. When will they grow up and appreciate that wine needs to be drunk from a decent shaped glass.

We've had dinner a couple of times in Sushi and for us it was a great success on both occasions. Staff are lovely and food very different to that found elsewhere on the ship.

According to SB's press release, Sushi will also serve lunch which will not be sushi/sashimi but will consist of 3 bentos (choice of meat, seafood, or vegetarian). Sounds like the lunch service has not begun yet. Have you heard when it will be?

I had thought that Seabourn had stopped its stupidity of using tumblers for wine in the Colonnade. I have complained about this for more than fifteen years. When will they grow up and appreciate that wine needs to be drunk from a decent shaped glass.

To the best of my knowledge they have only used stemless wine glasses since the introduction of Ad Hoc nights in the Colonnade. Even then, we have asked for them to give us stemmed wine glasses instead and they obliged. On the non Ad Hoc nights in the Colonnade we have always had the usual stemmed wine glasses automatically.

Are you possibly thinking of the speciality wine glasses for red and white wines, that they usually only give you if you are have bought a premium bottle of wine upgrade?

Julie

1. Bento boxes only are served in the Sushi Restaurant for lunch, with the full Sushi/sashimi menu offered at dinner.

2. Handre, 'The Adonis'. Adonis was the answer to a Trivia question a few days ago, and it was an aside, like 'Handre'. Yesterday at trivia, Jacqueline, the Assistant Cruise Director, presented Handre with a new Seabourn name badge,' Adonis', as a payback for a previous prank. A Trivia in-joke. We are having fun at Trivia, as you can see. Would be more fun for our team if we were ahead like Henry!

Henry, you may wish to elaborate.

To the best of my knowledge they have only used stemless wine glasses since the introduction of Ad Hoc nights in the Colonnade. Even then, we have asked for them to give us stemmed wine glasses instead and they obliged. On the non Ad Hoc nights in the Colonnade we have always had the usual stemmed wine glasses automatically.

Are you possibly thinking of the speciality wine glasses for red and white wines, that they usually only give you if you are have bought a premium bottle of wine upgrade?

Julie

No I was thinking of the tumblers. It seems that thankfully they might have stopped using these. As for stemless wine glasses - ugh!.

I shall this afternoon be writing a letter of complaint to the chairman of Seabourn in the strongest possible terms. In the meantime can I suggest you henceforth avoid the Snake River Rib Eye steak served in the Thomas Keller Grill.

At 17 minutes past 9 O’clock last night a rib eye steak was delivered to the table for my consumption and enjoyment. It presented more like a fillet steak but was I am assured a rib eye steak. It was accompanied by a delightful sauce but that I feel is immaterial, the result will be the same regardless of sauce choice. For the next 14 minutes and seven seconds I enjoyed what must surely be the finest steak on this planet. The char grilling to the exterior was uniform and flavoursome, the texture and taste was simply divine.

I now have a problem hence my unhappiness. Where on earth am I going to be able to replicate this steak perfection ?

From now on every other steak I eat will be judged against last nights offering and it will fail. My dining companions will be chomping away thinking how lovely their steak is, I will be thinking to myself yeah, but it isn’t as good as that rib eye I had in the TK Grill on board Seabourn Encore.

The clam chowder was ok as was the salad mixed at the table, the coconut cake was top notch but the rib eye was to die for.

I am, I fear ruined for life.

I sense you are a tough crowd and will brush my problem off as being first world. You are probably not wrong :)

15317999_10155621913420031_3915877971883208787_n.jpg?oh=75f805086ff26c43e84a7f736cfa7edb&oe=58F71A28

15578701_10155621914815031_4544160371779161926_n.jpg?oh=9e56feacba99d66cb7864f960c07febb&oe=58E52FC8

A long day, Tuesday 20th December turned out to be the gift that kept on giving. I will post up images though probably not today as we have our beach day at Sir Bani Yas Island.

Emily arrived safely in time to join the ship, I went for a little trip 555 metres or 1,820 feet up in the air and when I returned to the ship the upgrade fairy had paid a little visit. We now own a bit more of deck 6 :)

Saw loads of old friends from previous cruises including some I wasn't aware were coming, had dinner with a family from a previous cruise. Still looking for a few people we know are on board and put names to some Cruise Critic contributors. Don't be shy if you recognise us / me, say hello.

One thing that has been really touching is the way staff have reacted to Emily being on board. Even crew who haven't sailed with her previously but know who she is from chatting to us have come up & said hello, given her a hug and made a bit of a fuss. We are fairly undemanding guests and this has shown the depth of care and sense of family felt by many of the crew. A lovely experience.

For now a quick "Where's Wally" type spot the ship....

15578857_10155632357945031_1482138245543404445_n.jpg?oh=d81ad1adc7f4d668de6c08239951a6d4&oe=58F80BC2

We joined Encore 3 days ago and have been scouting about to give you some feedback. That said, and since the ship is about 100 under capacity, we don't know how busy or congested the faciltiies will be during the full inaugural sailing out of Singapore. Also, we have met many posters including Able Seaman H, his wife and daughter, and thanked him for his excellent video.

Perspective: the ship is about 40 feet longer and 8 feet wider, with an additional deck for another 150 passengers. The ship is the same height as the Odyssey class ships though and it's obvious on certain decks and areas where the cuts in height were taken e.g. the walkway around deck 5 clears the lifeboats barely. Also, maybe deck 4 is lower in the water.

1- Look and feel is different. Whereas Odyssey class ships are clean, minimal and use straight line and angular styling, Encore is more shiny faux mahogany, curved and closer to glitzy, but fortunately stops there. I like the touch your key to the door to unlock it, the scanning of key cards in the emergency drill which makes its management shorter timewise and many automated door openers e.g. leading to the pool area at both ends. And I hasten to say that service has been outstanding from all, especially the ever visible Hotel Director Daniel Putzhammer, CSDs Colleen and Murat at Seabourn Square, and all the seasoned and new-ish staff, all of whom are beaming with pride for their accomplishments in bringout out the Encore.

2- Spaces. Seabourn Square is much larger and this shows off the additional couple of yards of width Encore has. Same with the Observation Bar and its seating is far more space efficient. I especially enjoyed the duo singing up there and the decor around and above the circular bar. Oh, and for those who moaned that the small guacamole, cheese and salami buffet was removed from the O ships, service is in place with the refrigerated counter and there are sinks doe hadwashing just outside the lounge. And we like the much larger outside forward viewing area. And the biggest outdoors space additions are to the Colonnade, aft of Seabourn Square and the great space aft and outside of the TK restaurant.

The MDR seems a bit more cramped partly I guess because there are more tables in the same size room e.g. there is no center runway and instead there are 2 thinner corridors at both ends. The acoustics are greatly improved. We also enjoyed our lunch at the new Sushi - a bento box concept of teriyaki chicken or salmon or vegetarian with sake. Simple and elegant.

I don't get the Retreat Area concept. I mean, "retreat" to me means refuge first and quiet second. Who needs to pay top dollar and hear up to 15 televisions blaring alongside other noise in a relatively confined area? Also, it's at the expense of the Ody ships' shuffleboard and golf putting and shooting areas.

But the triumph is the Thomas Keller piano lounge, dining room and outdoor dining areas. It's exquisite detailing and the cuisine is superb. Since The Club is boringly bland, lacks proper bar service and much smaller than you would expect - more like the original little ships - one can expect those dining at TK will have someplace far smarter and luxurious to go. And about TK we joined the Colonnade for Ad Hoc beef ribs dinner, last night. Great, as usual.

3- Cabins of the usual variety and have a large screen TV but are a bit narrower and are deeper which makes the bureau opposite the bed very shallow and the entertaining area longer with its couch at least a foot longer. The bathroom, bathtub (!) and closet are less deep upon entering. I can't comment on other suites although the Signature Suite balconies are much deeper.

4- Social program: With the Grand Salon appearing only slightly larger than those of the Ody class ships I understand there will not be the traditional and formal Captain's welcome party. Instead I hear there will be simultaneous and informal gatherings in the small Club and the Grand Salon and the captain will accompany his officers and chat at the venues. Maybe the same will apply to the Farewell and/or Club parties? This is a shame to those of us who so enjoyed the occasions. Later today we will have the Block Party, a concept that does nothing for me personally, and one that will require of Captain Dexter and Daniel lots endurance. I guess these are the few downsides to a bigger Seabourn ship.

We tendered to a beach barbecue yesterday at Sir Bani Yas Island which is not a patch on the Caribbean or Ko Kood locations. The tenders are larger and offer more comfortable forward and rear facing seating versus the Ody port and starboard facing seating.

Please ask any questions you may have.

Happy and healthy sailing!

More about Encore:

In case you were wondering about how Encore will accommodate 150 more passengers across the dining venues and entertainment events, the MDR and Colonnade open at 18:45 until 20:45, the Patio is 19:30 to 21:00, and TK is 18:00 to 21:00. Sushi is 18:00 to 20:45. There are 2 showtimes - at 20:30 and 22:00.

Happy and healthy sailing!