Disappointed: Anyone Ever Have This Happen? Sailing Soon & Cabin # Changed by Royal

This happened last year about a month before my 4-nighter on Navigator.

I was booked in a JS on the hump; suddenly I was in a different JS towards the aft. I only realized because I check my cruise planner often.

Called up my TA, who was also surprised by the change. They contacted Royal. Got my original cabin back after being on hold for 75+ minutes.

Hey patriotgirl,

I just found this number I had saved, also posted by Ashland. Here's what was posted:

"While the suggestions above may get the result you want...I would suggest calling :

RCI Executive Guest Advocate (866) 440-7225

This division of RCI is one that many don't know about..They have contacted me directly after my cruise about a concern

I spoke about on "My Guest Survey"..They were very responsive. They are the ones you should be talking to...Best of luck."

Thanks to great people like Ashland, Clarea (amongst so many others here) and all cruise reviewers who try their very best to provide useful info on these forums

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried the number but it said that the office was closed. Will try again later.

Hey patriotgirl,

I just found this number I had saved, also posted by Ashland. Here's what was posted:

"While the suggestions above may get the result you want...I would suggest calling :

This division of RCI is one that many don't know about..They have contacted me directly after my cruise about a concern

I spoke about on "My Guest Survey"..They were very responsive. They are the ones you should be talking to...Best of luck."

Thanks to great people like Ashland, Clarea (amongst so many others here) and all cruise reviewers who try their very best to provide useful info on these forums

(I DO NOT have an automatic upgrade request listed in my profile preferences.)

By the way, what do you have selected?

I just checked mine for my upcoming cruise and there has to be something selected. I have selected "I do not wish to upgrade my stateroom" (2nd from the top). Maybe if you have nothing selected in your profile the system simply assumes an automatic upgrade is preferred as it is the very first selection on the list???

Thank you for the suggestion. I tried the number but it said that the office was closed. Will try again later.

Your welcome :). I've never tried it myself. I really hope this works out for you in some way.

I have read of a similar situation posted previously and have been concerned ever since. I find it totally unacceptable that they would do this to someone without calling them and informing them and offering an option.

On a future cruise I have a cabin with a 4 occupancy booked for 2 and have been concerned they would take it away from us. I selected it because it was close to elevator and have mobility issues but don't need a handicapped cabin.

I too hope you are able to find someone who cares who can make you whole. As Bob stated some OBC or Bev. package would help a little.

By the way, what do you have selected?

I just checked mine for my upcoming cruise and there has to be something selected. I have selected "I do not wish to upgrade my stateroom" (2nd from the top). Maybe if you have nothing selected in your profile the system simply assumes an automatic upgrade is preferred as it is the very first selection on the list???

I just checked and there was nothing checked in my profile. There is now.

I'm a creature of habit and tend to book my cabins in one of two places .... either an inside at a preferred location near the elevator on a mid level deck or an aft balcony. In 25 or so cruises, I have been upgraded only once, so with the rare appearance of the upgrade fairy, I pick a cabin I am happy with and don't give much thought to upgrades. Most of the time it is an inside, but as a Christmas present to myself, I booked an aft balcony.... IN MARCH 2015. no less. I've looked forward to having the aft cabin since then; the deck 7 corner aft on the Explorer class is my absolute favorite cabin or any ship ever . (I had the cabin on another Christmas vacation, so I know what I will be missing.) I guess this is part of the reason why I am so very disappointed. :(

This has me concerned now as well. We are booked on Freedom in March 2018. Me, my spouse and 2 kids in a D1 balcony and my parents in the D1 balcony right next to us. Both rooms accommodate 4. We worked hard to get side by side cabins so we could have adjoining balconies to make it easier for my mom to watch the kids in the late evenings when we aren't back in our room yet. We can just walk thru the balcony and carry them back to our room without waking my mom up.

Hey patriotgirl,

This division of RCI is one that many don't know about....They were very responsive. They are the ones you should be talking to...Best of luck."

I had the pleasure to "deal" with the Guest Advocate and indeed, they were very helpful. One of them even gave me her direct # in order to let her know when I'll book another cruise with either Royal or X, and promised to add OBC to my next cruise, and she kept her promise :) (I'm using a TA, so I called after I had my booking #).

I'm also wishing you lots of luck.

BTW, was your profile picture taken on the wall in Dubrovnik? I have a similar pic and was wondering...:)

I had a similar situation last year. Without going through the whole story, I can tell you what I would do. Call C&A and very firmly but politely explain you booked that particular cruise well in advance because that cabin was available to book for 2. Tell them it is completely unacceptable for them to have moved you without asking first and you want them to give your cabin back and find another cabin that sleeps 3 to move the other people to. Make it clear how important that cabin is to you. If you don't get anywhere with the first agent you speak to, call right back until you get someone to help you.

I think they should contact people and ask before they just move them.:mad: I hope this helps!

I hope you get this resolved ! I booked online and it let me book 2 people into a 3 person aft. Would hate to lose it . Can you imagine booking a balcony guarantee and getting a corner aft cabin ? :eek: Just not right.

I booked specifically for an ft cabin and made this reservation in April 2015.... so I have had 18 months of anticipation and waiting excitedly. I was just told by Kathleen in resolutions that they were very sorry but that they could absolutely assure me that I would not get the aft cabin back. :(

Edited by patrioticgirl

I just checked and there was nothing checked in my profile. There is now.

Aha! Maybe this was it and "the system" auto-upgraded you :(

Everyone reading this... check your profile

I booked an aft balcony.... IN MARCH 2015. no less. I've looked forward to having the aft cabin since then..I guess this is part of the reason why I am so very disappointed. :(

Yup, I'd be "Royally" pi$$ed also :mad:

Again, if they automate the upgrade process by C&A points, I think all of us here reading this should be checking our profiles asap and ongoing every once in a while to ensure any new "software" or other IT upgrade doesn't erase our preferences on line. I know I will... I have a cool cabin location on Harmony (booked on 3rd day of itinerary release 1 1/2 years ago) coming up that I will go postal if they move me. :eek:

I had the pleasure to "deal" with the Guest Advocate and indeed, they were very helpful. One of them even gave me her direct # in order to let her know when I'll book another cruise with either Royal or X, and promised to add OBC to my next cruise, and she kept her promise :) (I'm using a TA, so I called after I had my booking #).:)

Thx for this feedback dani, good to know.

I booked specifically for an ft cabin and made this reservation in April 2015.... so I have had 18 months of anticipation and waiting excitedly. I was just told by Kathleen in resolutions that they were very sorry but that they could absolutely assure me that I would not get the aft cabin back. :(

I am so very sorry :(:mad:

I truly hope something special happens for you on this trip as karma :)

I had a similar situation last year. Without going through the whole story, I can tell you what I would do. Call C&A and very firmly but politely explain you booked that particular cruise well in advance because that cabin was available to book for 2. Tell them it is completely unacceptable for them to have moved you without asking first and you want them to give your cabin back and find another cabin that sleeps 3 to move the other people to. Make it clear how important that cabin is to you. If you don't get anywhere with the first agent you speak to, call right back until you get someone to help you.

I think they should contact people and ask before they just move them.:mad: I hope this helps!

I have called 4 times today. A sympathetic gal at Crown and Anchor finally connected me to Kathleen in Resolutions. I was polite while making my disappointment very clear, stating that I had booked an aft over 18 months ago ... along with my specific reasons for selecting the particular cabin. She stated she was sorry ... but under no circumstances would the original cabin be reassigned.

Options given:

1. Take the cruise in the newly assigned cabin.

2. Transfer the dollar amount paid for the cabin to a later sailing without penalty for switching ships/sailing date after final payment.

3. Cancel cruise and be refunded cruise cost ( decision must be made within 4 days of sail date). ( HOWEVER, I take the loss for the cost of airfare that I booked myself. :mad:)

The Diamond Plus status just obtained now seems like a cruel joke.... so much for being loyal to Royal.

I did express my dissatisfaction to Kathleen about not being called about the cabin change and asked that Kathleen's supervisor contact me. Supposedly, I will be contacted within 72 hours.

I also asked for the Guest Advocate contact info... specifically, a phone number... and was told, "That number is not given out... those folks contact you about specific cruise issues".

Edited by patrioticgirl

I have called 4 times today. A sympathetic gal at Crown and Anchor finally connected me to Kathleen in Resolutions. I was polite while making my disappointment very clear, stating that I had booked an aft over 18 months ago ... along with my specific reasons for selecting the particular cabin. She stated she was sorry ... but under no circumstances would the original cabin be reassigned.

Options given:

2. Transfer the dollar amount paid for the cabin to a later sailing without penalty for switching ships/sailing date after final payment.

3. Cancel cruise and be refunded cruise cost ( decision must be made within 4 days of sail date). ( HOWEVER, I take the loss for the cost of airfare that I booked myself. :mad:)

The Diamond Plus status just obtained now seems like a cruel joke.... so much for being loyal to Royal.

I did express my dissatisfaction to Kathleen about not being called about the cabin change and asked that Kathleen's supervisor contact me. Supposedly, I will be contacted within 72 hours.

I also asked for the Guest Advocate contact info... specifically, a phone number... and was told, "That number is not given out... those folks contact you about specific cruise issues".

I am very sorry to hear this and I think it's total BS! This, coupled with the downgraded experience they are now providing, would be enough to push me away from RC!

Options given:

Thanks for the update.

I'm surprised they would not give you some OBC for the current cruise. I realize that the cruise contract gives the cruise line the power to switch staterooms, but I still don't think this is a good way to do business. Really sorry they did this to you.

I had the pleasure to "deal" with the Guest Advocate and indeed, they were very helpful. One of them even gave me her direct # in order to let her know when I'll book another cruise with either Royal or X, and promised to add OBC to my next cruise, and she kept her promise :) (I'm using a TA, so I called after I had my booking #).

I'm also wishing you lots of luck.

BTW, was your profile picture taken on the wall in Dubrovnik? I have a similar pic and was wondering...:)

I asked Resolutions for the number to the Guest Advocate and was told, We don't give out that number..... those people contact you when there is a specific cruise issue". I guess Resolutions had trouble understanding that I have a specific cruise issue! confused::D

And indeed, the profile pic WAS taken on the wall in Dubrovnik! :) You have a keen eye! :)

Edited by patrioticgirl

Options given:

I wouldn't accept this. i would keep calling and keep escalating this. I got a better response and solution for missing a couple hundred dollars of obc in my reservation. Completely unacceptable.

Thanks for the update.

I'm surprised they would not give you some OBC for the current cruise. I realize that the cruise contract gives the cruise line the power to switch staterooms, but I still don't think this is a good way to do business. Really sorry they did this to you.

I joking stated that they could book me in the originally booked cabin for next year at the same time with OBC for my airfare cost and I would be placated. Being a teacher, I am limited when it comes to sailing possibilities, so this seemed like a fair trade to me. Don't think they thought it was humorous, though. No offers except transfer cruise date or refund .... basically, a take it or leave it attitude.

I wouldn't accept this. i would keep calling and keep escalating this. I got a better response and solution for missing a couple hundred dollars of obc in my reservation. Completely unacceptable.

I forgot the real kicker....:D

I was informed by Kathleen that I would be put on a wait list should the folks who now have my cabin decide to cancel at the last minute.

REALLY????? SLAP ME AGAIN, BECAUSE I COULD NOT BELIEVE SHE'D JUST SAID THAT! :eek::D

Edited by patrioticgirl

I asked Resolutions for the number to the Guest Advocate and was told, We don't give out that number..... those people contact you when there is a specific cruise issue". I guess Resolutions had trouble understanding that I have a specific cruise issue! confused::D

And indeed, the profile pic WAS taken on the wall in Dubrovnik! :) You have a keen eye! :)

I tried to find in my emails the phone # I was given, but it seems that I've deleted those emails, after finding out that the kind lady (Corporate Guest Relations Advocate) has decided to retire :(