Can it be Done ?

somat

We just did self disembarkation (from Reflection) last Saturday, we were off the ship and in an uber on our way to FLL by 7:20am. We were at our hotel in FLL at 8:30am... that was even with a few wrong turns by our uber driver, we should have been there by 8am. So - it can be done.

Yikes. As others have said,I would book your transportation in advance. Also,make sure you are at the self-disembark really early. The problem will be the security lines at FLL. Remember,there are many other cruise ship passengers who will also be leaving FLL the same time as you are.

Also remember that April is a busy travel period in general what with spring school breaks and Easter and Passover.

Edited by casper106

We were on the Reflection TA and didn't do self debarkation. We were in the first group of independent travels and although our luggage tags should have been called about 7:45 it was actually 8:20 before we could get off the ship.

Grabbed a porter, have Global Entry so shorter lines at customs, called Uber and we were at FLL at 9:25. With TSA pre check we were at the gate by 10 for our 11:30 flight. It is doable but a bit stressing.

Last November (2016) we walked off the Reflection at 7:00 AM. Immigration was quick. Jumped in a cab (fixed rate $27) to MIA.

Shared ride van was $20 but would have had to wait for it to fill up before leaving.

In airport and through security by 7:30. We were TSA approved. We only had carry on luggage.

We had a 10:50 AA flight to Dallas. Got on with no problem, in fact had to wait at the gate.

We were happy we had an early flight and did not have to waste a day in the airport.

I am glad I had the exact times in my trip notes to share.

I assume we were a little concerned because we set the alarm clock for 5:30 to get to breakfast.

Good Luck

Just do it independently, no shuttles to have to wait for others. If everything goes well and you're walking off at 7:30 (which is what we do usually) it's easily do-able. If customs has no issues. Line up early though. Not at the time they say. Really, at least 45 minutes ahead of that time.

If you have TSA-PRE it makes it much faster.

Last month we were about 30th in line getting off Equinox in FLL and were in the taxi by 7:35. We were at our gate by 8:10 for a 9:30 flight home. People said we were crazy but it was great to get out and off so fast. If you factor in a 30-45 minute ride to MIA and can get there by 9:00 or so, you will be fine.

I have crusie out of MIA and FLL airports, both on Sunday and Saturday I know you can make a departing flights out by 11:00 AM, but you need to be first off the ship, that means self-assist taking your own luggage off and grabbing a taxi. Wife and I just came off Carnival Vista in Miami, ship to MIA, less than an hour! We met with our luggage at 6:30AM in lounge area, went though Customs and grab a taxi and at airport by 8:00AM , another 30 minutes in security check you are than at the Gate.

I'd be very nervous... hubs and I have only been on 10 cruises, and of that we have been VERY late on 2 of them! The first time one engine on our ship broke down just away from Roatan and we paddled in to Tampa by 2 p.m. of the morning we were supposed to disembark. We completely missed our flight. The second time our ship had to turn around to take a sick passenger within distance of life-flight to San Juan and we ended up about 4 hours late to disembark the next day. We made our flight, just barely.

I never book before noon for the flight home any more, and certainly I give us a little more time if we have to get over to another city. We've been hit by lightning twice and I won't chance it any more.