Explorations Central

Alberta Quilter

We are doing a port intensive (as they all are) Med Cruise on the Westerdam in Sept/17. With only 3 sea days out of 24 when will a person have time to enjoy the topics? Unless they hold them in the evening, but there's not much time before or after dinner plus all the other activities... (gotta love first World problems) Have I misunderstood the article?

Hey .. We're on that cruise as well. Hope its with booze available as well... Join the roll call and we can share excursion ideas!

More renderings that I've come across.

barrendering1.jpg

stair1.jpg

EXC_Hero.jpg

EXC_2_604.jpg

EXC_3_604.jpg

A WOW from me from what the renderings show! But, I also see much what I think is wasted space. where seating might be installed. The view with what appeared to be several flat tables: what function does that serve?

I am sure there will be a bar. After all it's money maker for HAL :)

What I DON'T see is the comfortable chairs that used to be there.

We'll just wait and see and hopefully they don't touch the S & R ships and especially the Prinsendam. Her Crow's Nest is beautiful and this would take away from the whole dynamic of the smaller ships IMO.

Given the size/space of the Crow's Nest on the Prinsendam, I don't think this new concept would be suitable at all. Having the Piano Bar in that space barely works, in my opinion.

I didn't see it, however. And this certainly answers the questions of why they took out the dance floor. If they take out the bar, they have lost me.

I guess we will have to wait until we experience this new life-changing offering to determine if it is anything more than hype and a new sales pitch. While I agree that having local experts on board to personally introduce their culture, city and sights is a great idea, I find that HAL'S justification, i.e. to open our eyes, hearts and mind, is a little over the top. What does HAL think all these thousands of passengers are doing on the ships, to begin with. Corporate headquarters doesn't realize that most of us have already done considerable research into the various ports and that many of us have traveled several times to some of them? My suspicious mind tells me that this is primarily a different sales pitch, but I am open to being impressed and pleasantly surprised. We'll see.

Anyone else suspicious?

I agree with you. We are taking the Grand Asia tour in Oct 2017. I think it's about tours and excursions :(. Time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you. We are taking the Grand Asia tour in Oct 2017. I think it's about tours and excursions :(. Time will tell.

I am so envious! That is the one cruise that I really, really, want to take. However, our resident feline, Her Grace, will not permit it. Eighty days is a bit too long to leave her with someone.

I am so envious! That is the one cruise that I really, really, want to take. However, our resident feline, Her Grace, will not permit it. Eighty days is a bit too long to leave her with someone.

I totally get that. Our daughter will have our car which is what makes it possible. It's a big jump for us both financially and just being gone that long. I hope we can do 80 days without killing each other!! Ha ha

Hey .. We're on that cruise as well. Hope its with booze available as well... Join the roll call and we can share excursion ideas!

Hi DHL (draftxhorselover) (love your name) Yes we are on the same cruise. I did joint the roll call, (well both actually, which is kinda annoying to be flip flopping back and forth). I'm reading a thread right now called "The Inaugural Vista's Official Trippingpara Mayhem in the Mediterranean Review" here's the link, not sure if it'll work

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2356991

It's very close to one of the legs of our cruise with some good tips/photos (amazing!) and private excursions. Chat with you soon on the roll call!

Robyn

Well, I'm not too enthralled with the "innovations" put forward. The maps - if they look like the one shown - seem to be just as bad as always. Uncomfortable-looking chairs; some seem to be the ones they had on Volendam in the Explorers Lounge which were impossible to sit in for more than 5 minutes. I have a feeling the space will not be used for CC Meet & Greets! There must be either a money-saving or money-making component to all this.

The virtual bridge might be interesting. Maybe they are thinking up ideas to fill the spaces left when they remove all the books. And no recliners in front of the windows for the chair-hogs to occupy (or not) all day.

Victorian,

Which hopefully means less snoring as well. (true, but this is my weak attempt at humor in a downer thread.) I'm on the wait and see and try before judging side. Too often in the past I have either been against or enthused about HAL changes and usually end up flipping my opinions once I actually cruise with the changes.

That said, the one thing I do not think I will ever change my mind about is the loss of the full walking deck - around the whole ship, as found on the K'dam. For now that will keep me off the K'dam.

In terms of the speakers talking about ports and/or areas visited - there is a HUGH difference in their knowledge and emphasis based on they type of cruise you are taking.

IF your normal cruise experiences involves 7 - 14 days in places like the Caribbean, in my experience the speakers have really been "hawking" for the shops on the island. Very little information of real educational value.

However, on longer cruises including the Grand Voyages and longer cruises like the Voyage of the Vikings, Circumnavigation of Australia, etc. the Port lecturers are terrific resources whether or not you do your own homework before the cruise. When they speak the Lounge is usually packed. While there are other very knowledgeable folks, the two that REALLY stick out in my mind are: Frank Buckingham (now retired) and Barbara Henny (sp?). There have been some others I have cruised with were very good and a few that have the potential to be very good with more experience. Besides an inquiring mind, a great memory and patience with a wide variety of passengers, it takes years of homework and their own travel to get to the level of Frank and Barbara. (The Grand World Cruise certainly has a highly experienced group of travelers who have done their own research over the hears, have been to many of the itinerary ports multiple times and know a lot about the cruise areas, even they pack the Lounge when the likes of Barbara and Frank speak/spoke.

So, reading the above thread, one of the reasons for the differences in the "Port" lecturers might be related to they type of cruises they go on. Just some of my thoughts.

While I think that this "destinations" motivation is laudable and I may also decide I like it, my major complaint about this new project is the venue that HAL has decided to utilize - the Crows Nest. The CN has been one of the, if not the, most popular spot on the ship. I really wonder if HAL could not have used another venue, even the theater, instead of the Crows Nest. Or perhaps have limited the hours during the day during which this project consumes the Crows Nest. Or, perhaps it is limited to certain hours. Does anyone know?

Oh, another objection, HAL's condescending attitude, expressed by who-ever-he-is during the video, that we NEED to to be educated in order to be better global citizens. That should not be the concern of the cruise industry.

A WOW from me from what the renderings show! But, I also see much what I think is wasted space. where seating might be installed. The view with what appeared to be several flat tables: what function does that serve?

Tables for jigsaw puzzles? That looks like the space presently occupied by the library. I noticed a few books in boxes on a stand - looks like that is all that remains of the library.

Now, when there is a speaker in the Crow's Nest, usually an officer talking about the inner workings of the ship, they line up the folding chairs in the central area, and push tables and chairs out of the way. I wonder what they will do now, if the talks are really popular. People who are not interested in the talk presently just have to hang around the outer edges. I also think the showroom is the place for these "educational" talks.

And where will we go for "Sit & Stitch"? :rolleyes:

With regard to alternative venues, it is important to factor in how those venues may be used currently. For example, having such talks in the showroom, besides perhaps being embarrassingly twenty times too large for the audience, may also result in curtailed dress rehearsal time for the evening performers. From what you relayed, the Crow's Nest is the venue that has been used in the past for similar talks about other topics, so it is already a proven venue in that regard. Even though those displaced may not find it ideal, I bet that the cruise lines determined that having these talks in the Crow's Nest displaces no critically vital individual passenger activities that cannot be accomplished elsewhere aboard ship.

• 8 months later...
guess we will have to wait until we experience this new life-changing offering to determine if it is anything more than hype and a new sales pitch. While I agree that having local experts on board to personally introduce their culture, city and sights is a great idea, I find that HAL'S justification, i.e. to open our eyes, hearts and mind, is a little over the top. What does HAL think all these thousands of passengers are doing on the ships, to begin with. Corporate headquarters doesn't realize that most of us have already done considerable research into the various ports and that many of us have traveled several times to some of them?

HAHAHHAH.. like those folks who intend to use Dollars in European Cities? (no I'm not talking about the Caribbean)... There are many folks who aren't world travelers and have no savvy on doing research...in fact they want to be TOLD WHERE TO GO, WHAT TO DO, WHAT TO EAT, etc... I personally plan a vacation like a war campaign but that's just me and although many of my questions are what to expect re cruising, I have been on many land based vacations. I think the EXC is a great concept and I'm sure you can buy a drink nearby! JMHO

It appears that there will no longer be guest lecturers on most cruises, including the Panama Canal ones. Transatlantic, Trans Pacific, Grand Voyages, and other long cruises seem to be the only ones that will still have them onboard. Enrichment will be mostly through these new offerings.

We experienced the EXC thing on Westerdam. I personally think they've ruined a really nice bar. It reminded me of a kiddy zone in a museum with easily accessed bits of information - none of it very in depth.

We went up there for a drink one evening and we're told "No Ma'am this is a morning bar."

Westerdam was pretty dire each evening apart from BB Kings - and who wants that every night?

We experienced the EXC thing on Westerdam. I personally think they've ruined a really nice bar. It reminded me of a kiddy zone in a museum with easily accessed bits of information - none of it very in depth.

We went up there for a drink one evening and we're told "No Ma'am this is a morning bar."

Westerdam was pretty dire each evening apart from BB Kings - and who wants that every night?

So, no alcoholic beverage service in the Crow's Nest? In what lounge(s) was Happy Hour offered?

Hopefully, many others will have the same opinion, and Orlando Ashford will revisit this latest atrocity. HAL has ruined, IMHO, the nicest location on the ship.

Hopefully, many others will have the same opinion, and Orlando Ashford will revisit this latest atrocity. HAL has ruined, IMHO, the nicest location on the ship.

Whoever, sooner than later I hope, replaces Orlando will have one DAM mess to clean up. I cannot see how most of his "innovations" and "partnerhips" will survive the test of time.

They're not supposed to. Change or die. Innovation isn't innovation five years later; the marketplace demands continual innovation. And partnerships last until it's time for another, more contemporary partnership.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

They're not supposed to. Change or die. Innovation isn't innovation five years later; the marketplace demands continual innovation. And partnerships last until it's time for another, more contemporary partnership.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

I find myself in agreement with this comment, somewhat surprisingly.

I have been doing a bit of "researching" for my own purposes and what I think I have learned is that these good people in their "20's-40's" are more interested in the "destination" experiences that they may have than in their "cruising" experiences. If so, HAL's EXC plans are not off the mark, but are attempting to meet the travel desires of this group of potential travelers.

A radical change of purpose of the Crow's Nest, however, will alienate those of us who have some HAL history. Somehow, a balance between the "well-loved" and the "new" needs to be found. If the initial reports on this Message Board about the Westerdam's conversion is any indication, that balance has not been achieved as of yet.

Of course, this is just my opinion based upon what little I know.

Somehow, a balance between the "well-loved" and the "new" needs to be found.
It is important to realize that such a balance has been found. It's not going to be precisely what either extreme wants, but it is going to reflect what's best for the cruise line in terms of appealing to both constituencies. There's still a sail-away party with some trappings of what used to be (and if you want to see what that looks like when there is very little deference to tradition, come with us on the Carnival Magic in November). There's still a MDR, with set-time dining available and communal tables. There's still Baked Alaska at dinner and pea soup on deck in Glacier Bay. They still have Bingo. And so on. It may not be what you would consider "enough" but it is the balance that the cruise like has determined is enough.

So, no alcoholic beverage service in the Crow's Nest? In what lounge(s) was Happy Hour offered?
There was no 21.00 Happy Hour like we had on Eurodam last August but think there was an early one somewhere but we prefer to drink later.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

There was no 21.00 Happy Hour like we had on Eurodam last August but think there was an early one somewhere but we prefer to drink later.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Thank you for your response. I prefer the Happy Hour at 16:00. At 21:00, I am probably finishing dinner.