Cuba or not?

tiessa

Being Canadian we've been on cruises that had port stops in Cuba twice, so have visited Havana and Santiago de Cuba several times and I wouldn't bother going there again as both cities are so run down and there was poverty everywhere. There was lots of begging going on and a huge police presents as this was such a problem. For example there were police on every corner the seven or so blocks to Parque Cespedes, the central square, from the cruise ship dock in central Santiago and in that square itself. Lot of people there also are selling things like cigars and trinkets on the street for USD which when we were there was illegal to do as the common folks weren't suppose to have USD. Also there not much to buy in their stores even the USD ones.

We arrange a taxi tour to Castillo el Morro in Santiago for a fixed price. I asked the driver who's Mercedes taxi it was and he replied Fidel's. I noticed the meter, which was in USD, was running on the trip out to that fort but read "libre" on the trip back to the ship after the driver had waiting about two hour for us to have our visit. What he charged us was double the one way fare out so Fidel got the fare out and I suspect the driver got the fare back plus our tip. There appeared to be lots of scams going on and the driver told how restricted life was in Cuba. He couldn't move from one area to another without permission from the central government for example.

Also having to do so on such a small and crappy ship as Empress is because of the Havana harbor can't handle larger ships would stop us from during a cruise there in the first place. We've sailed on that ship once and it is extremely unlikely we will sail on it again.

PS- we also stayed on Cuba for two weeks on a land based vacation in Varadero and wouldn't do that again either especially with the current high cost of a visa and being forced to buy Cuba government health insurance if you don't have proof with you of your own private health coverage. Food at our 4 star resort was terrible and a lot worst than any of RCI's food offerings we've had onboard which some here on this forum complain how bad this is. :D

Yea, what he said ;) Since I already have my 2017 and 2018 cruise booked I'll do the same. That will give us time to see what changes happen because of a new US adminstration (trying to keep this the last forum without overbearing political/election discussion) I'll certainly be reading every review between now and 2019.

Yea, what they said. Not yet. I was on the first sailing of the Empress when it was not ready for passengers and I don't want to repeat any form of "not ready" related to a cruise.

We just booked a cruise. My husband has always wanted to see more of Cuba after being in the Navy, at Gitmo, 50 years ago. I think it would be very interesting to see it now, altho I doubt we would be able to return. We went to China in 1985, and I know it has changed tremendously since. Having also been to Russia, we are very aware of how sanitized a tour to these countries can be. We are just happy to be able to travel before we get much older.

the paperwork just to get an okay to port in most Mexican cities is bad enough even if you promise to not leave the ship!

We've been to port stops and even embarked and disembarked in Mexico on cruises many times and I don't recall having to do any extra paper work as this was all done by the ship. The only item was a Mexican custom's declaration when disembarking there but that would be the case for any disembarkation port. Even when on the RCI transfer down to board the ship in Ensenada for a one way cruise to Hawaii, check in was in San Diego, the bus and all passengers were cleared as a group by RCI for entry into Mexico. :confused:

Edited by robtulipe

We've been to port stops and even embarked and disembarked in Mexico on cruises many times and I don't recall having to do any extra paper work as this was all done by the ship. The only item was a Mexican custom's declaration when disembarking there but that would be the case for any disembarkation port. Even when on the RCI transfer down to board the ship in Ensenada for a one way cruise to Hawaii, check in was in San Diego, the bus and all passengers were cleared as a group by RCI for entry into Mexico. :confused:

Occupational. It's a job requirement.

Read her screen name...

It has to do with his military ( and current civilian) job and associated Clearances. Most of Mexico is off limits to military personnel due to rampant drug related wars/ kidnappings. The ship/ cruise line has nothing to do with it.

He has/had to get approval to leave the country no matter where he goes, with some countries having extra restrictions. Makes planning cruises ever so much fun....

Sent from my iPad using Forums

non issue for us. even if we wanted to go, his job means he is not permitted to enter the country.

if you are worried about lousy governments and human rights, then I suggest you stay out of Jamaica and Haiti as well. neglect and corruption is just as bad as torture and ..."

I don't take cruises that include Haiti and Jamaica. I don't get off of the ship in Aruba.

Edited by tiessa

non issue for us. even if we wanted to go, his job means he is not permitted to enter the country.

if you are worried about lousy governments and human rights, then I suggest you stay out of Jamaica and Haiti as well. neglect and corruption is just as bad as torture and ..."

I don't take cruises that include Haiti and Jamaica. I don't get off of the ship in Aruba.

You are my Hero!!!:) If they gave me a free cruise I would not give that government one single dime which supports the oppressive government.

Now that RCI is stopping in Cuba, I'm interested in knowing what others think about this.

I grew up during the Cuban missile crisis and the Cold War. I obviously am curious about this place I have not been able to travel to. On the other hand, do I want to contribute to a government with such a terrible human rights record? I think my curiosity is outweighed by my morals.

How do others make the decision to travel there or not?

Cuba is a communist country, we will not support a communist country with our money.

Ok, don't go to Russia, japan, China, Vietnam, Germany, Austria, France, Italy, Switzerland most of he Caribbean including Haiti(Labadee)

Or just about every other country. It is so hypocritical when you spew

Half truths. Learn your geographic history.

Why single out Cuba.

Unreal.

Bring it on, I've got plenty of popcorn...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What are the half truths?

Edited by Big_G

Being Canadian we've been on cruises that had port stops in Cuba twice, so have visited Havana and Santiago de Cuba several times and I wouldn't bother going there again as both cities are so run down and there was poverty everywhere. There was lots of begging going on and a huge police presents as this was such a problem. For example there were police on every corner the seven or so blocks to Parque Cespedes, the central square, from the cruise ship dock in central Santiago and in that square itself. Lot of people there also are selling things like cigars and trinkets on the street for USD which when we were there was illegal to do as the common folks weren't suppose to have USD. Also there not much to buy in their stores even the USD ones.

We arrange a taxi tour to Castillo el Morro in Santiago for a fixed price. I asked the driver who's Mercedes taxi it was and he replied Fidel's. I noticed the meter, which was in USD, was running on the trip out to that fort but read "libre" on the trip back to the ship after the driver had waiting about two hour for us to have our visit. What he charged us was double the one way fare out so Fidel got the fare out and I suspect the driver got the fare back plus our tip. There appeared to be lots of scams going on and the driver told how restricted life was in Cuba. He couldn't move from one area to another without permission from the central government for example.

Also having to do so on such a small and crappy ship as Empress is because of the Havana harbor can't handle larger ships would stop us from during a cruise there in the first place. We've sailed on that ship once and it is extremely unlikely we will sail on it again.

PS- we also stayed on Cuba for two weeks on a land based vacation in Varadero and wouldn't do that again either especially with the current high cost of a visa and being forced to buy Cuba government health insurance if you don't have proof with you of your own private health coverage. Food at our 4 star resort was terrible and a lot worst than any of RCI's food offerings we've had onboard which some here on this forum complain how bad this is. :D

anyone I know who has gone for a "cheap beach holiday" would agree with you. I have no desire to go - it isn't a novelty for Canadians .

I spent three weeks in Cuba in January 2002 (watched them bring 9/11 prisoners into GITMO one day). I've looked at the offerings via Royal but its a very short stop and hardly worth it IMHO. The upcountry is beautiful and if you can look past the poverty in Havana and elsewhere, the country is full of historical sights and heritage.

I will say that I was supposedly in a 4* hotel (might have been a Sheraton or Hilton can't remember) which couldn't compare to a Motel 6 except for the lounge/bar area on the ground floor. No toilets flushed, food was horrible, bedding was subpar at best. First time I've every contracted dysentery and was miserable for 48 hours. Yuck.

I think you're doing yourself a disservice if you plan to experience Cuba on a cruiseship that isn't in port at least overnight. If you really want to go, go through Mexico and spend a few nights. Flights are relatively inexpensive from Cancun.

It has to do with his military ( and current civilian) job and associated Clearances. Most of Mexico is off limits to military personnel due to rampant drug related wars/ kidnappings. The ship/ cruise line has nothing to do with it.

He has/had to get approval to leave the country no matter where he goes, with some countries having extra restrictions. Makes planning cruises ever so much fun....

Not to mention people showing up at random intervals and questioning your neighbors whether they've observed any unusual activity or travel by your husband. DW hated that - having to dodge questions from the neighbors about what I did that caused the visits. She was very happy when I changed careers and lost my clearances.

Now that RCI is stopping in Cuba, I'm interested in knowing what others think about this……..How do others make the decision to travel there or not?

IMO Cuba is a place in which you the traveler need to live among the people (at a casa particular) to see what their lives are like and have casual discussions with them. The people in Cuba have a sense of joy in life that is contagious. They say “Es Cuba!” and carry on enjoying their lives.

My dad was appalled at the level of poverty. The novelty of the old cars and architecture wore off pretty quickly. Many of the residential buildings in Havana are crumbling to the point floors are collapsing.

Yes, very reminiscent of several Colonial city centers in Brazil of equal age and equal tropical climate. The crumbling has less to do with politics than age and climate.

In fact, I laughed at a certain building in Centro with 2x4s holding up the balconies because there is a popular comedy TV series and film in Brazil in which the characters live in a similar building.

Poverty is a problem in Brazil too, and many other countries with various political systems, but which do not have a good public education system and universal health care for their citizens.

. As a kid I can remember my uncle talking about how beautiful it was. The biggest reason we are going so soon is to really see this country before it become Americanized.

My aunt and uncle went “in the day” too.

IMO it's not likely to “become Americanized” very soon. It'll be along time before McD's moves in. (but actually, there are some areas where one wouldn't make much of an impact at all--pork Whoppers for the masses)

I don't feel that I should be supporting that country with my vacation $'s.

Another reason to stay in a casa particular on a land based trip. Your money goes to those who have opened their own businesses, and shows them the value of the capitalist system in improving their lives.

---

And for the person complaining about an $1800 cruise, the casa particulares are about U$25 per night.

However, in order to see the country, you have to adjust your expectations still.

Edited by VidaNaPraia

I'm going and cannot wait. I've been prevented from traveling to Cuba for all of my adult life and now I'm going to try and get their and I don't care about the politics. I want to see it for myself.

Now you are a tourist that will be received with open arms in Cuba. They love people with open minds. Those who hold grudges against the country and it's government and do not wish to travel there are wise not to, for their attitude would not be well received by the people. Those that want to wait for a few years until thing change miss the point of going. You will have no point of reference. The time to go is now so you can go back again and see what transpires. So very few of us ever knew what was gong on in that country before the revolution. We talk of poverty but compared to what? We talk of freedom but compared to what? Most Cubans will tell you with pride of the many improvements and accomplishments that have been made since the revolution. Yes, the facade of buildings have deteriorated due to lack of public funds but everyone in the country can now read. Only 40% of them could read pre revolution. Cast your eye away from the material want in the country and look at the health of the people. Their health system and health science education is outstanding. So let these things be your point of reference and in time when you return to see the material improvements you will be able to better understand how and why they take such pride in what they have already accomplished, for few of us ever knew just how bad it was.

There are more than a few Canadians who have told us that they discourage Americans from ever going to Cuba with a view to continuing to enjoy the status quo of their annual Cuban visit. :D And expats who once had and lost their lives of luxury will attempt to dissuade you from going to prolong the hardship they helped impose on the people of Cuba as revenge. But enough. What is the best reason for going to Cuba now? Because it is there.

Just to give a U.K. perspective as we don't have the same historical relationship with Cuba that the US does. Cuba has been a popular holiday destination for several years, usually in "all inclusive" style beach resorts, often with add-ons or day trips to Havana etc.

I'd say it's viewed as a similar "resort" destination as the way we view Mexico. You know, a few days on the beach, a day trip to see some history etc.

To the poster who compares Cuba, Russia, China, Haiti (labadee) in terms of oppressive regimes with Germany, France, Italy etc -- get a grip for heaven's sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Now you are a tourist that will be received with open arms in Cuba. They love people with open minds. Those who hold grudges against the country and it's government and do not wish to travel there are wise not to, for their attitude would not be well received by the people. Those that want to wait for a few years until thing change miss the point of going. You will have no point of reference. The time to go is now so you can go back again and see what transpires. So very few of us ever knew what was gong on in that country before the revolution. We talk of poverty but compared to what? We talk of freedom but compared to what? Most Cubans will tell you with pride of the many improvements and accomplishments that have been made since the revolution. Yes, the facade of buildings have deteriorated due to lack of public funds but everyone in the country can now read. Only 40% of them could read pre revolution. Cast your eye away from the material want in the country and look at the health of the people. Their health system and health science education is outstanding. So let these things be your point of reference and in time when you return to see the material improvements you will be able to better understand how and why they take such pride in what they have already accomplished, for few of us ever knew just how bad it was.

There are more than a few Canadians who have told us that they discourage Americans from ever going to Cuba with a view to continuing to enjoy the status quo of their annual Cuban visit. :D And expats who once had and lost their lives of luxury will attempt to dissuade you from going to prolong the hardship they helped impose on the people of Cuba as revenge. But enough. What is the best reason for going to Cuba now? Because it is there.

ONT-CA, over several posts on the subject on various threads, you have the most balanced way of looking at the situation, and put it into words so eloquently. Thank you for your perspective.

Hi. You Americans do realize that the rest of the world has been visiting Cuba all along right? It is a really great place to vacation cheap and one of the reasons is that American tourists and the hyperpowered dollar are not part of the economy. Superb beaches, fun people, awesome music and night life. So-so food. Cigars if you like them. Extremely safe. Safer than any major American city. The rest of us are frankly a little concerned that prices will soon rise and the charm may disappear with the overloading of tourism.

The prices that cruise lines will charge are making me laugh. It's like a trip to Mars for crying out loud. They aren't realy aliens. If you have the $$$ then be first in line otherwise wait it really isn't that 'special'.

.... the charm may disappear with the overloading of tourism.

Boy, you northern neighbors are somethin' else!

What's the worst? Not a particular fan of MickeyD's, but after some of the unpalatable food I had in various paladares, restaurants and homes, that could actually be an improvement. LOL

(Glad I've had a chance to try traditional Cuban food in the US.)

... The prices that cruise lines will charge are making me laugh. It's like a trip to Mars for crying out loud. They aren't realy aliens. If you have the $$$ then be first in line otherwise wait it really isn't that 'special'.

A cruise to Cuba is two distinct things. While aboard the ship, although we sail around the Cuban Island, we could be anywhere on water. We enjoy the sailing, accommodation and the amenities offered us, for we are on vacation.

Each day however we disembark into a new part of Cuba as tourists to experience and hopefully enjoy the people and their culture. With the exception of Havana, and now even there we hear, none of these ports could offer such a large grouping of people accommodations. The Cuban government approved the original cruise plan because it was a means of having large groups visit them without placing strains upon their hotel systems. The ship therefore then becomes both our hotel and the means of transportation. Taking into consideration the added ship's land tours, it allows us to experience far more of the country than being a guest at a resort. We think the cruise method is good value when taking everything into consideration.

A cruise to Cuba is two distinct things. While aboard the ship, although we sail around the Cuban Island, we could be anywhere on water. We enjoy the sailing, accommodation and the amenities offered us, for we are on vacation.

Each day however we disembark into a new part of Cuba as tourists to experience and hopefully enjoy the people and their culture. With the exception of Havana, and now even there we hear, none of these ports could offer such a large grouping of people accommodations. The Cuban government approved the original cruise plan because it was a means of having large groups visit them without placing strains upon their hotel systems. The ship therefore then becomes both our hotel and the means of transportation. Taking into consideration the added ship's land tours, it allows us to experience far more of the country than being a guest at a resort. We think the cruise method is good value when taking everything into consideration.

Well said. Thank you for posting.