Laundry detergent in HAL launderettes

bay guy

I understand that HAL provides the detergent in the laundry room that's available for passenger use. Does anyone know what detergent they use?

I'm asking because my DW has allergies to the perfumes and dyes used in many detergents.

I don't know the name of the Bio-degradable detergent HAL uses.

It is a liquid and the few times I have used the self service laundries, I couldn't smell any perfumes.

Don't know what ship you will be sailing on, but remember that self service laundries are only on the R and S class ships.

Maybe others may know the exact brand name.

I don't know the name of the Bio-degradable detergent HAL uses.

It is a liquid and the few times I have used the self service laundries, I couldn't smell any perfumes.

Don't know what ship you will be sailing on, but remember that self service laundries are only on the R and S class ships.

Maybe others may know the exact brand name.

I have a similar question. We will be on the Volendam and have not sailed with HAL before. Are the laundries crowded and are their many washers and driers?

That information is not correct.

There are also self-service laundries on the Prinsendam.

I have a similar question. We will be on the Volendam and have not sailed with HAL before. Are the laundries crowded and are their many washers and driers?

They are usually busy - meaning that you frequently have to hang out until a machine becomes available. We found it a better use of time/money to spring for the bag-load deal.

They are usually busy - meaning that you frequently have to hang out until a machine becomes available. We found it a better use of time/money to spring for the bag-load deal.

Agree! I am not overly fond of doing the wash at home. I am not going to waste hours doing it on a cruise.

Recommend you contact HAL (email works well thru contact us on the website) and ask what brand is used in the self-service machines and also if you send out your laundry. Have seen a lady who brought her own detergent due to allergies - as with you. She talked with HAL medical and they gave her a list of brands that will work in their systems (machines and water processing) as the big laundry did not use what she could use. Turns out her preferred brand was on their list so it all worked well.

If you use the self-service laundries, recommend you go early morning, at meal time or later in the evening as fewer people. BTW - have met great people in the laundry and we have stayed friends over the years.

I was on a freighter earlier this year and noted that the self-service laundry's detergent dispensing system used is the same as on the Prinsendam and Zaandam. I also noted that there were some bottles of detergent to refill the canister so who know what is being used. I'd bought some laundry detergent onboard only to find it was supplied. The Captain and Chief Engineer had to share their laundry facilities with pax (only a maximum of 7 but we were the only two) and they didn't seem too plased.

I was on a freighter earlier this year and noted that the self-service laundry's detergent dispensing system used is the same as on the Prinsendam and Zaandam. I also noted that there were some bottles of detergent to refill the canister so who know what is being used. I'd bought some laundry detergent onboard only to find it was supplied. The Captain and Chief Engineer had to share their laundry facilities with pax (only a maximum of 7 but we were the only two) and they didn't seem too plased.

Hello Cruising cockroach,

First of all, I love your CC name! I don't know if you ever wrote a post about travelling on a freighter but if you have time, could you write one on this post (so I get notify). I would like to know how you booked a freighter, how you find info, do you have time to visit when the ship docks at different port of calls (if it is the case). I understand it would be totally different that a cruise ship... We travel for the itineraries and not for the ships/being served... Is it a good quality/price cruise? Thank you in advance.

The Canadians!:D

If you use the self-service laundries, recommend you go early morning, at meal time or later in the evening as fewer people. BTW - have met great people in the laundry and we have stayed friends over the years.

I also recommend that you remember there are cabins around the laundry rooms, so even if someone else beat you to your favorite washer (and it does happen), please use your inside voice when discussing the matter.

BTW, I like your tip about clearing your detergent with HAL, and I'm glad they work with you.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello Cruising cockroach,

First of all, I love your CC name! I don't know if you ever wrote a post about travelling on a freighter but if you have time, could you write one on this post (so I get notify). I would like to know how you booked a freighter, how you find info, do you have time to visit when the ship docks at different port of calls (if it is the case). I understand it would be totally different that a cruise ship... We travel for the itineraries and not for the ships/being served... Is it a good quality/price cruise? Thank you in advance.

The Canadians!:D

It's not posted here but you can fin the link in the freighter and non-traditional section. Most of your questions are answered there. Maybe except the stops. We didn't get off at any of the two stops 1) because the crew probably wouldn't have allowed it, 2) we'd been to near the 1st stop, and 3) 2nd stop was for just a few hours. YMMV on other sailings.

I understand that HAL provides the detergent in the laundry room that's available for passenger use. Does anyone know what detergent they use?

I'm asking because my DW has allergies to the perfumes and dyes used in many detergents.

I notice when I was on the Volendam, they used Ecolab- low temp laundry solid detergent. Ecolab supply cleaning agents for the food and hospitality industry.