Sea sick/ ship motion

Celiac Cruiser

In June, we were in cabin 3072, aft and above the MDR. There were times when I had to look the window to decide if we were actually moving--and a couple of times we had actually docked when I looked out. There may have been one night when I felt the gentle rocking of our ship underway but even our crossing of the North Sea was uneventful. I can't tell you if it was because of the ship's technology or because we lucked out in the weather department for 14 days running. BTW, we did not hear any noise from the dining room below us either.

These new Viking ships are amazing.....but if the seas are really rough no ship is going to be completely still. We had rough seas a couple times....I had Bonine with me and ginger. I used both. I was very glad I was on the Star rather than another cruise line/ship. These ships make a difference for sure, but if you are prone to that, as I am, then go prepared.

What experience have you all had with ship stability? Is the new technology really that good at preventing feeling the ship motion or should I make sure to have a midship cabin?

When I was on the Breakaway last November I was overlooking the bow on deck 11 and never felt any discernable motion. Though I was in the US Navy on ships for 12 of 16 years and been through some 55° rolls turning into the straits of Magellan. I did watch for motion when getting underway, but didn't sense any on the Breakaway. Bigger longer ships rock very little and they have stabilizer fins to keep rocking to a minimum.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

Edited by rgruenhaus

I have a very weak stomach but have never gotten sick on a cruise. I started out bringing the sea sick pills, but never took them because you can't take with alcohol. I personally feel like I'm being rocked in a cradle with the movement & sleep like a baby...

They "say" you should not take with booze... I take them every cruise and drink plenty.

I am not a Doctor and I did not stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00S9FSLTU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_a_it/168-1865387-2286427?ie=UTF8&qid=1482167443&sr=8-1&keywords=seasick+patch&pi=SY200_QL40

Seasick patch on amazon for less than $5/10 goes behind the ear. We used to use them in the Navy. No tired or sleepy feeling.

What experience have you all had with ship stability? Is the new technology really that good at preventing feeling the ship motion or should I make sure to have a midship cabin?

We were sailing from Halifax to Boston and hit the tail-end of Matthew. I always take bonine but it was not strong enough. I was sick for most of a day as were some other people on the ship but once we got out of the bad weather, I was fine. I think the boat did great .....it was just a pretty big storm. I had never been sick on a cruise liner prior to this but the staff took really good care of me. All I wanted was ice and they brought it quickly whenever I asked. These ships are gorgeous!

We were sailing from Halifax to Boston and hit the tail-end of Matthew. I always take bonine but it was not strong enough. I was sick for most of a day as were some other people on the ship but once we got out of the bad weather, I was fine. I think the boat did great .....it was just a pretty big storm. I had never been sick on a cruise liner prior to this but the staff took really good care of me. All I wanted was ice and they brought it quickly whenever I asked. These ships are gorgeous!

They are excellent, I had the norvo virus on the China river cruise, another couple brought it in board and yes, they were on my bus. The staff was wonderful, Johanna kept asking me if I needed to go to the hospital. But I'm a nurse so I knew what I needed. Fortunately, we bring a pharmacy with us. Anyhow, Viking is excellent and the staff takes a personal interest in its clientele

I just bought my second Relief Band after using the first one since my second cruise 15 years ago. The original one still works fine - band just getting a bit worn. (Be sure to order one that allows for replacing batteries. Batteries themselves are easy to find in drug store. I carry a spare battery on the cruise but they don't need to be replaced that often. I've only replaced the batteries 4 times in all these years.)

My first cruise in the Caribbean was enough to convince me I'm not a very good sailor. :) Since then I've even been on small liveaboard dive boats in very rough seas and came through dinner fine. Crossed the equator 5 times in the Galapagos, again on a small boat and very happy I was wearing the band. One night had to hold on to my husband to keep from rolling out of bed. Viking Oceans is a breeze!

It's not exactly high-end jewelry, but I still wear it to fancy dinners on the ship and get to really enjoy my meal while others are looking a bit green. I actually put it on the second I'm on board. Only take it off to shower or go in the pool. No aftertaste from drugs - yeah!

Just wish they developed one that is also a watch. I keep trying to check for the time.:) Also wish I had stock in this product! It's available from many sources online. A little pricey but so worth it. We just bought one for our 13 year old granddaughter to see if it helps with her car sickness. Also supposed to help with morning sickness but haven't needed that in a while.:)

I have to say OBX that this is something I have never tried.....and I think you sold me!! I will be really interested to know how it works on car motion sickness as well. We are taking the Amazon trip next year, and a couple islands sound like there is no choice but mountainous windy roads which I might not be able to do unless this works! Thanks much!!

Glad to hear others found ReliefBand helpful. I used a borrowed one on a cruise down the east coast of Canada some years ago. We hit a storm that had the ship rocking and rolling. I remember laying in bed hearing the deck furniture crashing into the sliding glass door and then sliding across and crashing into the glass railing over and over again!

I slipped on my ReliefBand and enjoyed dinner while the others were dropping like flies. I am usually the first one to be hit with motion sickness. It was weird!! I almost don't believe it .....but I was there. Thanks OBX cruisers for the confirmation, I plan on buying one for myself for future cruises just in case. The nice thing is you don't have to plan ahead. It works even after you start to feel sick.

Cheers

I suffer terribly from motion sickness. I am the one who always get sick (very sick). I have tried Bonine and Dramamine and wrist bands and nothing worked for me. Then I tried the patch http://transdermscop.com/transderm-scop-patient-information.htm, which is a prescription and it was a miracle for me! I have heard that some people have side effects but I have had none and have used them on every cruise. When we go on cruises we often do excursions on small boats, planes, helicopters, trains, and these would have made me violently ill without the patch. Now I use the patch and I can do everything and never have to worry, thereby enjoying every activity. One patch lasts 3 days so I get the prescription before my cruise for the correct number of patches I need from my doctor.

I suffer terribly from motion sickness. I am the one who always get sick (very sick). I have tried Bonine and Dramamine and wrist bands and nothing worked for me. Then I tried the patch http://transdermscop.com/transderm-scop-patient-information.htm, which is a prescription and it was a miracle for me! I have heard that some people have side effects but I have had none and have used them on every cruise. When we go on cruises we often do excursions on small boats, planes, helicopters, trains, and these would have made me violently ill without the patch. Now I use the patch and I can do everything and never have to worry, thereby enjoying every activity. One patch lasts 3 days so I get the prescription before my cruise for the correct number of patches I need from my doctor.

That's why the US Navy uses the patch. Can't have military fighting a war with seasickness or the sideaffects of the meds themselves. The patch worked great for me too in the beginning when I was new to the shipboard life. I no longer get sick at sea.

FPacifico what did you take for the Noro Virus?

My husband gave me meds to stop the vomiting and stomach pains, donnatal and lomotil. Then I just kept to liquids. Out of all of us who got sick, I had it the worse but it didn't last long, four days maybe. The chicken soup helped a lot. By the last day, I was able to have Peking duck.