Blu or MDR

ladybrockett

Quick question. We are sailing on Constallation in the new year and have treated ourselves to Aqua Class. Have been in both Concierge Class and Inside stateroom in the past.

I know that Blu is our assigned dining room but can we eat in the MDR if we would like a change of scenery or if we would like to dine with other guests who are not Aqua Class. ??

Many Thanks in advance.

Quick question. We are sailing on Constallation in the new year and have treated ourselves to Aqua Class. Have been in both Concierge Class and Inside stateroom in the past.

I know that Blu is our assigned dining room but can we eat in the MDR if we would like a change of scenery or if we would like to dine with other guests who are not Aqua Class. ??

Many Thanks in advance.

I've read that this is possible by speaking to the Maitre D. However I'm not a fan of the idea as you would be seated in Select dining taking up spaces from other select diners, just like suite diners who want to try the MDR, which can lead to extra wait times for those who chose select and cannot dine in the spaces left in Luminae or Blu. Blu sounds great so why not stick to it and enjoy the smaller restaurant experience or switch to a non Aqua cabin.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Due to deficiencies in both food and service in BLU on our Infinity Oct cruise we ate elsewhere 4 ir 5 nights..Tuscan, Q sine buffet...

When we checked the menu for the final night after breakfast it was less than stellar..We immediately called for an MDR res..Luckily they had an opening for an early time..No need to involve our BLU maitre d....they seemex overworked anyhow.

...We arrived on time at MDR, were seated immediately at a really nice tbl for 2 and had great meal with excellent service..So even if you are enjoying BLU you can book in elsewhere....and possibly req a shared table????

You can ask maitre d asst to help u book Tuscan or Silk or Oceanliners if still there..and you should get at least a 15 percent discount

Hoping BLU negs for o.ur trip were a one off and still only booking BLU..But nice to have options. Enjoy Connie..we loved her..esp BLU

Edited by hcat

I've read that this is possible by speaking to the Maitre D. However I'm not a fan of the idea as you would be seated in Select dining taking up spaces from other select diners, just like suite diners who want to try the MDR, which can lead to extra wait times for those who chose select and cannot dine in the spaces left in Luminae or Blu. Blu sounds great so why not stick to it and enjoy the smaller restaurant experience or switch to a non Aqua cabin.

I am afraid I have to agree, and that is as an AQ/Blu cruiser last month.

If you are in AQ, Blu is your restaurant.

If you are in a suite, Luminae is your restaurant.

The kowtowing to those who pay more can go too far. Book a suite for thousands more than I paid, that is your decision. Private dining room? No problem. Michael's club access? No problem. Premium drink package that I would have to pay for? No problem. Internet that I pay for? No problem.

You paid for it, you deserve it.

Take my seat in Select Dining after I have arranged for it, whether by reservation or wait? Problem.

Just got off the Silhouette two hours ago and it was our first time dining in Blu. We're spoiled and won't be going back to the MDR anytime soon. Meals were tasty and cooked to perfection every time, which we couldn't say about the MDR. The smaller venue made it possible to have conversation with the table mates around us without raising our voice. The service allowed us to eat at 6pm and be sitting in our chairs for the 7pm show. We didn't have to ask for expedited service. We still ate breakfast in the buffet.

Just got off the Silhouette two hours ago and it was our first time dining in Blu. We're spoiled and won't be going back to the MDR anytime soon. Meals were tasty and cooked to perfection every time, which we couldn't say about the MDR. The smaller venue made it possible to have conversation with the table mates around us without raising our voice. The service allowed us to eat at 6pm and be sitting in our chairs for the 7pm show. We didn't have to ask for expedited service. We still ate breakfast in the buffet.

Was there a reason why you did not try breakfast in BLU? The French Toast is amazing, and beautifully presented as are other entrees served at breakfast. It's quiet too.

I agree with Kevinyork and ECCcruiser that you should eat in Blu when you have the privilege instead of taking up a place in the MDR. If you don't like what is on the menu on a given night, eat at a specialty restaurant or the buffet .

On our Silhouette cruise last September we made friends who were not in Aqua and wanted to have a meal or two with them. It was easy to arrange it as long as we went to the MDR with them. We enjoyed BLU, both for dinner and breakfast but the price has to be reasonable. We have two more trips booked and Aqua would cost an additional $2000 so we are sticking with a regular veranda and can always do some specialty dinners for a whole lot less than two grand.

On our Silhouette cruise last September we made friends who were not in Aqua and wanted to have a meal or two with them. It was easy to arrange it as long as we went to the MDR with them. We enjoyed BLU, both for dinner and breakfast but the price has to be reasonable. We have two more trips booked and Aqua would cost an additional $2000 so we are sticking with a regular veranda and can always do some specialty dinners for a whole lot less than two grand.

This is the reason i asked the question and you have answered it perfectly.

We got a really good price for aqua class and a aft stateroom on 11 so we deff not be changing it ........

Blu sounds great and I'm sure we will enjoy it.No chance of eating in the Buffet in the evening, i liked to be waited on when on holiday!

Thanks for all your views.

Many Thanks in advance.

Yes you may if the people you are joining are eating in MDR select dining, rather than a pre-set seating. Then you can join them either with or without a reservation. On Summit, the maitr'd in Blu told us it wasn't necessary to let him know. (Others on this board seem to take great exception to that, but it is what we were told.) I'm sure if your friends are in one of the schedule seatings that they can change for the evening you want to dine together if you ask the MDR maitr'd.

You are welcome to dine in the MDR when in AQ.

And ignore those who chirp on about blah blah blah... taking away a seat.... :rolleyes:

For every Blu diner in the MDR there will be a half dozen MDRers at the buffet or specialty dining.

We have friends who are in AQ on our upcoming cruise. They are 2 people of a group of 17. We were told by X that they could join us for dinner a couple nights if they would like. We have early seating, not select. I guess we will find out more after we sail.

You are welcome to dine in the MDR when in AQ.

And ignore those who chirp on about blah blah blah... taking away a seat.... :rolleyes:

For every Blu diner in the MDR there will be a half dozen MDRers at the buffet or specialty dining.

Agreed. If you're in Blue or Luminea you're allowed to eat in Select Dining - period. What people on here think you "should" is irrelevant until/unless X ever changes its policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Agreed. If you're in Blue or Luminea you're allowed to eat in Select Dining - period. What people on here think you "should" is irrelevant until/unless X ever changes its policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes it's X's policy but it's wrong. Select Dining passengers only have access to the MDR for waiter service dinner. The spaces available for those choosing Select are carefully allocated based on seating numbers and planned throughout. The idea with Select is you turn up when you want to be seated. If others from Blu or Luminae take up some of those spaces then those who chose Select may find they have to wait longer. This through no fault of their own. Turn this on it's head....if someone who had paid 25% more for their cruise turned up to Blu to be told they had to wait because a Select Diner had taken their space, would that be acceptable? Of course not. Yes X allows it but it doesn't make it right.

Allowing Blu/Luminae guests to eat in the Select area of the MDR should be strictly based on availability. If there is none they could be offered a buzzer to come back or be refused. Or do others think they should skip the lines above Select Dining passengers and cause Select diners to have to wait?

Edited by kevinyork

On Summit, the maitr'd in Blu told us it wasn't necessary to let him know. (Others on this board seem to take great exception to that, but it is what we were told.)

The key here is that you asked and were told to just go to the MDR when you wanted...but on some cruises, select is just too crowded so they arrange for you to dine with the early or late folks.

They will go out of their way to make you happy...if your friends are in fixed dining and you want to join them, they may ask you all to eat at a different table....or perhaps two at their table are going to specialty restaurant one night and you can take their two seats.

Talk to the Blu Maitre d' and they will try to make whatever you want happen.

I am afraid I have to agree, and that is as an AQ/Blu cruiser last month.

If you are in AQ, Blu is your restaurant.

If you are in a suite, Luminae is your restaurant.

The kowtowing to those who pay more can go too far. Book a suite for thousands more than I paid, that is your decision. Private dining room? No problem. Michael's club access? No problem. Premium drink package that I would have to pay for? No problem. Internet that I pay for? No problem.

You paid for it, you deserve it.

Take my seat in Select Dining after I have arranged for it, whether by reservation or wait? Problem.

No one is "taking your seat". The number of passengers eating in specialty dining,at the buffet, or in room, means there are ample seats available. And further, if you notice, when there is a line..it isn't for lack of seating. Its usually because they are short staffed. Additionally, the OP asked about eating with friends on one or two nights. Celebrity actually encourages that and again, no one is taking your seat (unless you are intending to eat with her friends).

Yes it's X's policy but it's wrong. Select Dining passengers only have access to the MDR for waiter service dinner. The spaces available for those choosing Select are carefully allocated based on seating numbers and planned throughout. The idea with Select is you turn up when you want to be seated. If others from Blu or Luminae take up some of those spaces then those who chose Select may find they have to wait longer. This through no fault of their own. Turn this on it's head....if someone who had paid 25% more for their cruise turned up to Blu to be told they had to wait because a Select Diner had taken their space, would that be acceptable? Of course not. Yes X allows it but it doesn't make it right.

Allowing Blu/Luminae guests to eat in the Select area of the MDR should be strictly based on availability. If there is none they could be offered a buzzer to come back or be refused. Or do others think they should skip the lines above Select Dining passengers and cause Select diners to have to wait?

First, you very nervy to declare Celebrity's policy wrong. Second you make several assumptions, none of which I can determine is correct. Select Dining is more determined by physical space that "carefully allocated based on seating numbers". The number of individuals on any given night opting for select dining over Blu is likely negligible, especially given the other dining options on board. Further, the people most likely to take advantage of the alternate dining accommodations are those that choose select dining rather than a fixed meal seating. And, if you call for reservations in select dining and they are full, you will be told to choose another time. It's only walk-ins that wind up waiting or screwing up the process... not the few that decide to swap Blu for the MDR one night.

First, you very nervy to declare Celebrity's policy wrong. Second you make several assumptions, none of which I can determine is correct. Select Dining is more determined by physical space that "carefully allocated based on seating numbers". The number of individuals on any given night opting for select dining over Blu is likely negligible, especially given the other dining options on board. Further, the people most likely to take advantage of the alternate dining accommodations are those that choose select dining rather than a fixed meal seating. And, if you call for reservations in select dining and they are full, you will be told to choose another time. It's only walk-ins that wind up waiting or screwing up the process... not the few that decide to swap Blu for the MDR one night.

Thanks for your comments but I am at a loss to understand them.

No one is "taking your seat". The number of passengers eating in specialty dining,at the buffet, or in room, means there are ample seats available. And further, if you notice, when there is a line..it isn't for lack of seating. Its usually because they are short staffed. Additionally, the OP asked about eating with friends on one or two nights. Celebrity actually encourages that and again, no one is taking your seat (unless you are intending to eat with her friends).

It is a case of 'taking our seat'. Select is popular and over our last few cruises has become more so. One couple from Blu wanting to dine in Select means a couple from Select are inconvenienced, even though those Aqua guests had a lovely restaurant of their own to dine in. Buzzers were being given out to Select diners on our Sep cruise with waits of up to 45 mins. People from Blu/Luminae jumping that waitlist isn't acceptable when they have a premium restaurant experience that they can access. Not sure how anyone can disagree unless they believe they have paid more so should be allowed to trample on those who paid less.

You shouldn't have to make reservations in Select Dining, which is what really messes up the concept and creates the wait times. Celebrity needs to drop that for Select as well as for Blu and Luminae. It should be first-come, first-served for the most efficiency.

Pre-Luminae, being able to eat in Blu was available for suite guests "based on availability." I was told I couldn't eat in Blu one evening because they were full. I trust that Celebrity can make this type of determination based on the situation at hand for any dining room without causing too much hassle. If every suite guest happened to want to eat in the MDR one night, they'd have to react to that and possibly say it isn't possible.

You shouldn't have to make reservations in Select Dining, which is what really messes up the concept and creates the wait times. Celebrity needs to drop that for Select as well as for Blu and Luminae. It should be first-come, first-served for the most efficiency.

Pre-Luminae, being able to eat in Blu was available for suite guests "based on availability." I was told I couldn't eat in Blu one evening because they were full. I trust that Celebrity can make this type of determination based on the situation at hand for any dining room without causing too much hassle. If every suite guest happened to want to eat in the MDR one night, they'd have to react to that and possibly say it isn't possible.

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately it seems Select guests become third class passengers below Suite Guests and Aqua Guests and are seated only when those other guests have been accommodated should they wish to venture beyond their own exclusive dining room. I'm typing this and yet cannot truly believe this situation exist.

Thanks for your post. Unfortunately it seems Select guests become third class passengers below Suite Guests and Aqua Guests and are seated only when those other guests have been accommodated should they wish to venture beyond their own exclusive dining room. I'm typing this and yet cannot truly believe this situation exist.

Implicit in the substance of your argument is your assumption that RCL/Celebrity are new to the cruise business and don't know what they are doing. In fact, they do know what they are doing. Be assured they know very well that on any given night there will be a number of guests from Blu dining in the MDR, guests from the MDR dining at the buffet or specialties or their cabins, etc. etc. It's one big mish-mash, has been going on for as long as there has been more than a single restaurant on the ship, and they have long since sized the venues and the staffing to account for and adequately deal with the practice, which indeed they encourage as part of the overall cruise experience which is what they sell. Neither you nor anyone else is materially affected by it, and to claim that whenever anyone comes to the MDR from Blu this "displaces" you is simply out of touch with the reality of what is going on.