Ships in port

MR_BUTCHIE

People ask this all the time and I am not sure why.

If I want to shop at the port, I won't pick an excursion that keeps me away all day if there are 5+ ships there. I wouldn't have enough time. I'm still a fairly new cruiser (5) so I still like all the cheap souvenirs!

Was there a need to post this comment? If someone is looking for this information, they're interested in finding it. People ask questions on these boards because they're interested in an answer; not in comments like you have a tendancy to leave. If you can't help, keep your comments to yourself.

Planning our day's activities is always influenced to some degree by the port load. Even the scheduled order of arrival can have an impact on the availability of local resources.

Last year we took a Canada/New England cruise on HAL's Maasdam, a smaller ship with a passenger load of 1258. According to HAL's itinerary, we were to dock at Charlottetown's single berth, but checking one of the websites providing port information indicated that one of Celebrity's ships (Equinox?) would be in port at the same time. Experience dictated that the Equinox would get the berth and the Maasdam left to tender. Which is exactly what happened, but knowing this ahead of time we had made our plans based on a later "on shore" arrival time.

I'm sure that there are many other uses that can be made of this information.

I've found cruisetimetables to be the most accurate.

I prefer to know how many ships will be in port. We were in St. Maarten last month and SIX ships were in port that day including Harmony, and it did have us alter our plans since we realized how bad traffic would be with 20K people there. It was the first time Harmony docked there--a really massive and beautiful ship. Was great to watch it come in and dock next to us.

Ever try and navigate a port that has half a dozen of the larger ships in at the same time? Only so many cabs to go around. Same with spaces on private excursions. Not to mention just crowding in general on beaches and the main drag

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Here is another website:

http://www.cruisetimetables.com/

Adam

I use this site as I've found it to be very accurate and has nice interactive features as all one has to do is click on the individual ports in your cruise itinerary and click on the date in port to see which ships are in port with your ship. If you click on an other ship name its details are shown.

Also it offers the nifty cruise ticker countdown shown in my signature.

Edited by robtulipe