Thoughts on the Flowrider..

MaiTaiMary

My kids will be 10, 11, and 13 years old when we sail on RCCL. They really want to try the Flowrider.

How difficult is it? To me, it looks fun... but HARD! Who has kids who have done it or seen kids on it? Did they seem to enjoy it, or was it too difficult?

Also..

is the wait time super long on sea days?

Thanks!:)

I don't have any idea if it would be hard for your children. It's about physical ability, balance,etc. . My wife uses the flowrider and she could be your children's grandmother.

Wait times vary hour to hour, day to day, cruise to cruise

I don't have any idea if it would be hard for your children. It's about physical ability, balance,etc. . My wife uses the flowrider and she could be your children's grandmother.

Wait times vary hour to hour, day to day, cruise to cruise

Thanks! Big help! LOL

We went on Allure this past April. My son was just a couple weeks away form his 11th birthday. He tried the Flowrider (boogie version because of his height), and loved it...and he's not a daredevil, if you know what i mean.

I on the other hand was too chicken (but more because I wear glasses and thus can't see well without them)

My grandson was 9 the first time he tried the flowrider - boogie board - on Allure - he loved it and spent a lot of time doing it the entire week. He got really good at it, learned some tricks, made friends with other kids while waiting on line, and just had a blast! He is not the most coordinated or sports-oriented kid, so I was a little surprised that he took to it so quickly and mastered it - it was the highlight of his cruise!

On the other hand - my granddaughter tried it for the first time when she was 11, she is the "sporty" one and quite the daredevil, so I thought she was going to love it - she did a face plant on her second run and got banged around a little at the back of the flowrider - that was it for her, she had no interest after that.

You just never know with kids...:rolleyes:

I have teens and tweens. They loved the flowrider. It takes time and practice; they got better as the week went on. When we did the zipline last time, the guy working the zipline told us that it gets busier as the week moves ahead b/c people want to 'get it in' before they leave. If this theory applies to the Flowrider as well, I imagine it would be less busy in the beginning of the week vs. the end of the week. When the lines were long, we made an event out of it. We had some cocktails and stood in line/sat on the bleachers and watched everyone try. People enjoy watching everyone and I felt like there was some collective cheer when we watched people try hard and succeed. If the line is long, it's still fun to watch.

My kids will be 10, 11, and 13 years old when we sail on RCCL. They really want to try the Flowrider.

How difficult is it? To me, it looks fun... but HARD! Who has kids who have done it or seen kids on it? Did they seem to enjoy it, or was it too difficult?

Also..

is the wait time super long on sea days?

Thanks!:)

There can be a long wait, but that isn't all bad, watching others of all abilities helps the newbies. Also the staff in my experience is helpful to new people. This is where the Oasis class with its two flowriders is an advantage.

Not a kid.... but I myself have tried the Flowrider before. I was too embarrassed to do it on Freedom in front of the large group of people that sit and watch. But I've done it in Gulf Shores, Alabama at a small amusement park where there was no one around to watch me fail miserably at it, twice.

On the ships they do have lessons and people who will help you do it right. And I did see some pretty young kids doing it very successfully.

My DD loves the flowrider and has done since she was like 6. She lives on it all week long. My DS can take it or leave it.

few pieces of advice starts with the boggie board and work up to standing. Always wear a rash guard most important for girls.

If your kids are enjoy it a group lesson is a great way for them to get some extra time and instruction. You can book one on one lessons those are pretty expensive but group lessons cost much less and are a great way to get lots of flowrider time.

Those ages are PERFECT for the flowrider. Here is my advice: Take them IMMEDIATELY to the flowrider the day you board. You will need to sign the waiver for them (once) to use the flowrider for the trip. From there, be sure to tie your swimsuits as TIGHT as possible. Then, definitely do the boogie boarding. It is so much fun and EASY. Day 1 has the shortest lines on the flowrider.

We signed up for lessons on our first 3 cruises. Group lessons are $69pp. You get an hour with instructors and a max of 8 participants, though we have never had 8. Money well spent. Now my kids are good at it and enjoy it so much more.