Been on Anthem, will I like Jewel?

mizLORInj

Ok, so for my RC history, I've been on Explorer 2x, Quantum 1x, and Anthem 2x.

Looking at 2017 cruises and considering Jewel otS out of San Juan (long story and other factors, just go w/ me on this). Now I have been on various sized ships on other lines and would likely go on any of them again. I LOVED LOVED Anthem and I'm wondering if Jewel is too drastically different because it's smaller? Obviously it won't have the bells and whistles of the mega ships. . .

Also it seems to be A LOT of $$ for an older ship.

Any comments? (hahaha I know I'm at the right site for comments!) :p

Edited by mizLORInj

Jewel is a beautiful ship. Lots of glass and views to the ocean. But, we really didn't care for our cruise on Jewel. It was a very boring ship, with subpar entertainment (the worst of any cruise we've been on). Some may feel that entertainment isn't so important, especially on a port intensive Southern Caribbean itinerary, but it is very important to us. For the same itinerary, Adventure is a better choice because it has more activities and better entertainment.

Edited by DonnaK

The Jewel is a Radiance Class and like all ships in that Class, it offers you a lot of windows and views of the ocean. At 962 feet it is still a good size. True it won't have the flow rider, Royal Promenade etc but it is a very easy ship to navigate. One of the favorite lounges in the evening, is the Schooner Bar Deck 6 forward, Shops, photo area and theater mid ship to aft on Deck 5 you can also access the theater on Deck 6 if you like sitting on the upper tier. We have been on the Brilliance, Radiance 4 X's and Serenade and enjoy the friendliness of the crew. Congested area after the shows will be the shop area as you proceed forward to the Centrum. Our favorite of this Class has been the Radiance of the Seas. We have not been on the Jewel so can't offer an opinion on her.

Edited by Desert Cruizers

So far, Radiance class is my least favorite....not because it's smaller (even tho' it's still a BIG ship!), but because of the Solarium...it's enclosed, and you can't tan in there! That's the "downside" for me. The rest of the ship is quite nice, and I really enjoy the outdoor seating in the WJ.....but the Solarium....not a fan at all.

It depends on why you like cruising. I've been on Anthem and Independence and found them very different than my grandeur and jewel cruise.

Granted, Jewel was the worst cruise i've ever been on, i believe it was a bad fluke as many many people rave about the Jewel.

On a smaller ship, you give up the bells and whistles for what I like to call a more traditional cruise experience. Activities are focused more on getting to know your fellow passengers. They emphasized more on the live entertainment (Piano bars, stage shows, trivial, etc). The key thing about the smaller ships, is you will see people over and over again. There just isn't that much space, but that's a good thing. Its easier to get to know people because you see them over and over again. Also, the thing with the smaller ships, you won't feel like you're missing something because the pace isn't about "do everything that the ship has to offer". Its more of "the ship gives you a pace to enjoy her, and you can choose to at your own pace". Because its traditional, you'll be familiar with the cruising basics to be able to enjoy the ship without having to run around to catch everything. Everything is pretty much available on smaller ships.

It will be a very different experience. From your post I'm guessing you will at first be disappointed then you will find out what's nice about it.

The Solarium (mentioned above) should be open although even when it is the 2nd row of loungers is often shaded. That can be a good thing after a late night.

You will notice the same people over and over and you might find yourself with some really good cruise friends by the end.

You won't walk nearly as far to get to your cabin and back.

For myself the Explorer is the perfect size but things like bumper cars and flow rider are hard to beat. Sail often on the Radiance class because they seem to have the itineraries I like. Agree that one would expect prices to be a little lower given less on-board rides etc.

Sailing from SJ for the first time in January. Seeing some new places. Focus for me will be off the ship.

The Radiance class ships are our favorites; we sailed on the Jewel, Serenade, and Brilliance many times. We love all of the windows and views of the sea. If I'm on a cruise, I want to see the ocean, not wall after wall after wall.

We've had excellent entertainment on most of the cruises; only a couple of acts were not our cup of tea. We like the enclosed solarium (tanning is not for us), and love the outdoor seating at the rear of the Windjammer.

The Jewel initially was designated to sail the northern routes, and much of the artwork and sculptures are interpretations of the aurora borealis. Very interesting to view.

Rogueperson's comment, "the ship gives you a pace to enjoy her, and you can choose to at your own pace" is very apt. We love the Jewel and her sisters and sail them whenever we can.

The Jewel is a Radiance Class and like all ships in that Class, it offers you a lot of windows and views of the ocean. At 962 feet it is still a good size. True it won't have the flow rider, Royal Promenade etc but it is a very easy ship to navigate. One of the favorite lounges in the evening, is the Schooner Bar Deck 6 forward, Shops, photo area and theater mid ship to aft on Deck 5 you can also access the theater on Deck 6 if you like sitting on the upper tier. We have been on the Brilliance, Radiance 4 X's and Serenade and enjoy the friendliness of the crew. Congested area after the shows will be the shop area as you proceed forward to the Centrum. Our favorite of this Class has been the Radiance of the Seas. We have not been on the Jewel so can't offer an opinion on her.

Actually, I thought the Schooner bar was closer to the rear of the ship.

not been on Anthem, but compeared to Liberty the jewel was a bad experience for me. I think I fall in the category that likes the bigger ship cause its more things to do. Also didnt like the center. it was looking good, but better to have everything on one floor like the promonade. IMO

the radiance class ships are our favorites; we sailed on the jewel, serenade, and brilliance many times. We love all of the windows and views of the sea. If i'm on a cruise, i want to see the ocean, not wall after wall after wall.

We've had excellent entertainment on most of the cruises; only a couple of acts were not our cup of tea. We like the enclosed solarium (tanning is not for us), and love the outdoor seating at the rear of the windjammer.

The jewel initially was designated to sail the northern routes, and much of the artwork and sculptures are interpretations of the aurora borealis. Very interesting to view.

Rogueperson's comment, "the ship gives you a pace to enjoy her, and you can choose to at your own pace" is very apt. We love the jewel and her sisters and sail them whenever we can.

ditto !!:)

Jewel is a beautiful ship. Lots of glass and views to the ocean. But, we really didn't care for our cruise on Jewel. It was a very boring ship, with subpar entertainment (the worst of any cruise we've been on). Some may feel that entertainment isn't so important, especially on a port intensive Southern Caribbean itinerary, but it is very important to us. For the same itinerary, Adventure is a better choice because it has more activities and better entertainment.

What didn't you like about the entertainment/what was missing? Other than the ice show, since no ice rink.

Trying my first Radiance class on Jewel in February. Really looking forward to a smaller, less crowded ship but I still love me some good entertainment.

What didn't you like about the entertainment/what was missing? Other than the ice show, since no ice rink.

Trying my first Radiance class on Jewel in February. Really looking forward to a smaller, less crowded ship but I still love me some good entertainment.

It was the quality of the entertainment that was lacking. The production shows were way below the level of shows on other ships. Most of the evenings when we walked into a lounge, there was an empty stage/piano. When someone was performing, they were not up to standards. If there was something going on in the atrium, there was no space to participate or view it. It was just very boring. (On other ships, after the main show, we like to go to the Schooner bar for some music or trivia, or to other lounges for karaoke or other audience participation games, etc. The lead singers from the production show usually sing a set or two in a lounge on their "off" night, etc.)

Ships of the Radiance class are my favorites in the RCI fleet although we have sailed on and enjoyed every class of their ships. Each has its own special features and we try to accept and enjoy the differences. The Jewel and its sisters offer terrific views of the ocean from almost everywhere throughout the ship, a smaller passenger contingent, and shorter distances between your cabin an all other locations on the ship. I especially enjoy the climate-controlled solarium which allow me to enjoy the pool regardless of outside weather conditions and if the glass roof actually blocks the harmful sun's rays, that is all to the good in my opinion. While it may not have all the bells and whistles that can be found on other (usually larger) ships) Jewel is not lacking, IMHO, any basic necessities to provide a great cruise experience. Unless you absolutely have to have those bells and whistles you can have a wonderful time. Entertainment, aside from special features like the ice shows, and the broadway type shows such as CATS, Grease,Mama Miaare generally similar on all their ships, so any shortcomings on a particular cruise are likely due to the individual performers on that cruise and don't necessarily reflect the quality you will necessarily find on Jewel for your cruise.

I recommend that you resist the urge to compare this cruise with others you have taken on RCI or any other line. Each cruise offers a special experience that needs to be enjoyed for itself.:)

Ok, so for my RC history, I've been on Explorer 2x, Quantum 1x, and Anthem 2x.

Looking at 2017 cruises and considering Jewel otS out of San Juan (long story and other factors, just go w/ me on this). Now I have been on various sized ships on other lines and would likely go on any of them again. I LOVED LOVED Anthem and I'm wondering if Jewel is too drastically different because it's smaller? Obviously it won't have the bells and whistles of the mega ships. . .

Also it seems to be A LOT of $$ for an older ship.

Any comments? (hahaha I know I'm at the right site for comments!) :p

It's quite different.

It was the quality of the entertainment that was lacking. The production shows were way below the level of shows on other ships. Most of the evenings when we walked into a lounge, there was an empty stage/piano. When someone was performing, they were not up to standards. If there was something going on in the atrium, there was no space to participate or view it. It was just very boring. (On other ships, after the main show, we like to go to the Schooner bar for some music or trivia, or to other lounges for karaoke or other audience participation games, etc. The lead singers from the production show usually sing a set or two in a lounge on their "off" night, etc.)

Good to know...can't believe they wouldn't offer some of this stuff. Thanks!

Just off the Anthem for the second time and also sailed Jewel out of San Juan. I liked the Jewel it was easy to navigate. My favorite spot was the Viking Crown Lounge which had a nice view overlooking the pool area. I think the cruise was less about the ship and more the ports. It was definitely our favorite itinerary hitting 5 islands out of San Juan so we spent a lot of time off the ship.

..the Solarium...it's enclosed...
By virtually every definition those open topped areas that RCI calls solariums, are solariums only to RCI and people they have conned. The most common definition of solarium is a "glass enclosed room" (note enclosed); the second definition involves rooms equipped with sunlamps. Sorry but you've been conned by RCI into a false perception of a solarium.
  • Like 1