Lunch on Explorer

PaulaJK

I just read on another thread that Explorer closes Compass Rose for lunch, leaving a specialty restaurant and the buffet. Does the specialty restaurant

fill, forcing you into a buffet venue? We are on the New Year cruise and anticipate that the ship will be full. Since we have done this route previously, we anticipate having many ship days.

We just completed a transatlantic cruise on the Explorer with lots of sea days. On sea days, both Prime 7 and Chartreuse (highly recommend their half of a chicken with mushroom sauce on the side for lunch) are open as well as is La Veranda and the Pool Grill. On port days, P7 and Chartreuse alternate days. The ship had about 730 guests onboard and the specialty restaurants were never filled to capacity.

It seemed that on port days, guests arriving back to the ship after an excursion all went to La Veranda (perhaps because they stay open late if they expect excursions to arrive after their normal closing time).

For us, LV was quite a surprise on the Explorer - we liked it more than we typically do (probably because of the grill were there cook items to order - I had lamb chops one day, a steak another day, etc.) P7 was a surprise due to their unique desserts at lunch. Chartreuse has the most unique soup presentations that I have seen on a ship (they are also very good). Apparently there is one person that makes soup for the entire ship (hope he is there when you are onboard!)

I agree. Normally we do CR for lunch where it is more relaxing.

Was worried about Explorer when I heard CR was not open for lunch.

As long as there is someplace to go other than pool deck and buffet

we are in good shape.

We do pool deck once in awhile but prefer inside.

We too are just off Explorers maiden TA. Although the Pool Grill and La Veranda were great for lunch, the luncheon food/service at BOTH Prime 7 and Chartreause was outstanding...perhaps even better than dinner at those venues!! Unhurried, uncrowded, and elegant even while casually attired for the time of day. A set menu together with daily specials made these two venues our first choice for a quiet proper luncheon as opposed to our occasional "grazing" elsewhere!

We too are just off Explorers maiden TA. Although the Pool Grill and La Veranda were great for lunch, the luncheon food/service at BOTH Prime 7 and Chartreause was outstanding...perhaps even better than dinner at those venues!! Unhurried, uncrowded, and elegant even while casually attired for the time of day. A set menu together with daily specials made these two venues our first choice for a quiet proper luncheon as opposed to our occasional "grazing" elsewhere!

An interesting comment regarding lunch at Prime 7 & Chartreuse. If I understand correctly you are reporting that the lunch menu is more restricted than at dinner ?

On our forthcoming Explorer cruise we were planning to have our main meal at lunchtime on a couple of days, and then a relaxed evening on the balcony/bars/lounges.

Is the menu at lunch significantly less choice than at dinner ?

Thank you

An interesting comment regarding lunch at Prime 7 & Chartreuse. If I understand correctly you are reporting that the lunch menu is more restricted than at dinner ?

On our forthcoming Explorer cruise we were planning to have our main meal at lunchtime on a couple of days, and then a relaxed evening on the balcony/bars/lounges.

Is the menu at lunch significantly less choice than at dinner ?

Thank you

The lunch menu in P7 and Chartreuse is not the same as their dinner menu. I guess I would say that it is significantly different but you could certainly make a large meal out of it if you order an appetizer, salad, main course and dessert. There are many more choices on Explorer's specialty lunch menus than on the other ships menu in Compass Rose.

Interesting about lunch menus. In the past (prior to Explorer and refurbs), lunch in CR was nothing like dinner. Light fare mostly, sandwiches, salads, smaller entrees, definitely not the full 3 or 4 course treatment like dinner.

So Jackie, how does lunch in, say, Chartreuse, compare to lunch in the old CR?

I thought that I saw the lunch menus somewhere online but can't find it. Wendy, there is no sandwich menu (which I loved in CR). I tended to eat the half a chicken with mushroom sauce in Chartreuse (not sure if it's "French" style - I'm not a big lover of French food in general but loved this dish). I also had Chartreuse's version of onion soup (very different from the very cheesy version in CR). The presentation is stunning in Chartreuse. They have appetizers, a couple of soup offerings, salad (one regular and one lunch salad as I recall).

I liked Chartreuse for lunch more than P7. Honestly, all I remember about P7 is their dessert presentation for lunch (and I didn't like the chicken as much as in Chartreuse). Just remembered that I tried ribs once for lunch in P7 ...... they were okay - nothing special (but my friend definitely enjoyed them).

Sorry for this useless post. Perhaps someone currently on the ship can give some detailed information. I do want to mention that sitting as far back as possible in either restaurant is the best place to be - the aft views are lovely. For some reason, the servers tend to want to seat you elsewhere but we asked for the far back and got it.

No reservations were necessary. Very comfortable two top available on opening, and later. Menu was a special lunch menu particular to the venue, supplemented with daily specials. For example at P7, one day I had an ENORMOUS plate of bbq ribs on special, the other I ate appetizers only chicken quesadilla, soup, a huge crab salad. Really good!