Recent Independence O.S. (Food Reviews)

goneclear

I know food quality, quantity, taste etc is a very personal thing and varies widely from person to person.

Personally I have been on many RCL cruises with the most recent on Navigator O.S. in April this year and I have never really had a BAD meal at sea. Never had to send back a plate. Have eaten at all the specialty restaurants RCL offers at sea and always enjoyed them.

Maybe my standards of acceptance are a little lower than some cruisers.

In reading the most recent Indy reviews here in the review section of this CC site, (November) nearly all if not all give the food a pretty bad rap.

For once everyone seems to be in agreement on the food topic and the results are not good.

I have a cruise coming up early in the new year on Indy so that is the reason that this topic has peaked my interest.

If there is anyone who will like to share their recent Indy Experience please share here.

We sailed on Indy back in June 2015 it was our first experience with the line. My wife is a chef (Pastry) and I can say it was the worst food experience we have had on any line. The food was very bland and the presentation was not that great at all. We sail again for New Years and we're hoping that this was just an issue with the past food and beverage director and executive chef, but that seems to not be the case.

I sailed 12/8 and found the food to be edible but not great. I didn't eat in any specialty restaurants. The steak in the MDR was good as was some type of chocolate cake in the Windjammer. Pad Thai was decent for a buffet. I tried some turkey parmesan just because I didn't even know that was a thing and it was terrible, very dry. And the way they fried the chicken, you couldn't even tell what piece it was. Lol However, none of this would stop me from leaving on a cruise today if I could!

Off Indy last Monday. Our group of 8 had dinner all 4 nights in the MDR. Only complaint was when ordering the strip at any temp over mid rare it became tough. Some of the highlights were....

Starters: Scallop Gratin, Lobster Bisque, French Onion Soup, Sea Scallops and Chorizo, Chilled Banana and Rum Soup, Caprese Salad, Arancini

Mains: Pork Chop, Prime Rib, Corvina, Beef Tenderloin, Lamb Shank, Lasagna, Chicken Marsala

Some of the group also did the MDR for breakfast twice, lunch once. Breakfast was simple but good. There were a couple of rotating items each day and a buffet was available. I got the Eggs Benedict both times and enjoyed it. Others got French Toast and Omelets, and said they were good. We did lunch on the last day, and it may have been the best meal of the trip. Scallop and Shrimp Risotto, Seafood Enchiladas, Barramundi, and a Burger are what I remember from the menu.

We also did Johnny Rockets. Burgers, dogs, fries were all solid.

Sorrento's was the other spot we frequented. It is not gourmet by any means, but at lunch and late at night there was always hot and fresh pizza ready for consumption.

We were on the Nov 28 sailing:

Didn't eat in MDR for dinner.

Giovanni's - OK. Not as good as others we've been to. Deserts sucked.

Chops - Excellent overall. Better than our last couple visits to Chops.

MDR breakfast: Eggs Benedict weird. Just a very weird flavor to the sauce.

Johnny Rockets: OK.

Pizza at Sorrentos - OK. Consistent with all other RCCL pizza we've had.

Windjammer: Pretty good overall.

The coconut ranger cookies were good everywhere:D

Off Indy last Monday. Our group of 8 had dinner all 4 nights in the MDR. Only complaint was when ordering the strip at any temp over mid rare it became tough. Some of the highlights were....

Starters: Scallop Gratin, Lobster Bisque, French Onion Soup, Sea Scallops and Chorizo, Chilled Banana and Rum Soup, Caprese Salad, Arancini

Mains: Pork Chop, Prime Rib, Corvina, Beef Tenderloin, Lamb Shank, Lasagna, Chicken Marsala

Some of the group also did the MDR for breakfast twice, lunch once. Breakfast was simple but good. There were a couple of rotating items each day and a buffet was available. I got the Eggs Benedict both times and enjoyed it. Others got French Toast and Omelets, and said they were good. We did lunch on the last day, and it may have been the best meal of the trip. Scallop and Shrimp Risotto, Seafood Enchiladas, Barramundi, and a Burger are what I remember from the menu.

We also did Johnny Rockets. Burgers, dogs, fries were all solid.

Sorrento's was the other spot we frequented. It is not gourmet by any means, but at lunch and late at night there was always hot and fresh pizza ready for consumption.

Sailing in March with a large group of ladies and we appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

Sailed earlier this month. Because of reviews we did not have high expectations and was happy to be proven wrong. No complaints with anything we had other than the temperature of some of the foods the one night we ate at the buffet. Chef's table one night and the MDR the other 3 nights.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Forums mobile app

Was on Indy earlier this month with my son. We ate dinner in MDR every night as well as most bfasts. Our dinner service was excellent, the food was hot and tasted great. No problems or complaints about bfast either.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app