Tuscan Grill

rasty

One of the highlights of cruising for my wife and I is dining at the specialty restaurants. I have read several negative reviews of the Tuscan Grill. Is it really that disappointing? Are there dishes that should be ordered and others that should be avoided? On a related matter, are there enough wines by the glass to match courses at both the Tuscan Grill and at Muranos? In the past we have enjoyed the 5 Senses menu but now with the premium beverage package can this same experience not be arranged with existing wine choices?

The answer to the tuscan question is that it depends on your cruise. Last week on the equinox, tuscan was certainly not the old tuscan...service was off, food was unseasoned, sauces were tasteless...but i bet that someone else on another celebrity ship could rave about their dinner at tuscan. The menu is the menu....for me it's dull, for others it's probably wonderful....I hate the idea of paying even more for better food over the tuscan surcharge, but I guess some don't mind.

Some folks on our last week cruise had the unlimited package and ate at tuscan twice....and they really disliked it...so I know I'm not alone.

I can't comment on the wine dinner. They do still offer it in Murano and as far as I know there's no discount for having a package (which is bizarre). Good luck on that one. At least you can count on Murano food and usually service to be outstanding. My guess is that if you have the premium package, you can order the same or better wines than they serve in the pre-packaged wine dinner, even if you have to play a little extra for some of the wines.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Asking for opinions on food is very subjective. You will get 10 different opinions on this thread. It is best that you try Tuscan Grill for yourself and then you decide. We were reluctant to try the Silk Harvest specialty restaurant because of so many bad reviews. We tried it for the first time on our last cruise and liked it so much, we ate there TWICE! It is now one of our favorites.

In our opinion, we think Tuscan Grill is BETTER than ever. We have eaten at Tuscan on 5 different Celebrity ships and the quality and service has been exceptional. They now serve fresh, made on board, pasta and it is cooked the right way, "al dente." We have tried several different entrees and they are all excellent. We urge you to try it for yourself.

Edited by El Crucero

Last week on the equinox, tuscan was certainly not the old tuscan...service was off, food was unseasoned, sauces were tasteless...but i bet that someone else on another celebrity ship could rave about their dinner at tuscan.

Wow that was fast...less than a minute for the opposite opinion:)

Tuscan on Millie three weeks ago was probably the best meal I have had on a ship. Ever. We ate there twice during our 14 day cruise.

Quisine was the second best meal on a ship.

On our South China Sea trip the food was geared towards the English, Asian, Australian guests. DH and I thought it was the worst Main dining room experience we have had. Again that was because the food was geared towards a different crowd.

So opinions are subjective.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Viewpoints not only differ from ship to ship and sailing to sailing, but even from entree to entree:

My DH had the swordfish and said it was the best he had ever had. I had spaghetti and it was "meh". I think it was better up in the buffet. The service wasn't anything special, the venue was packed to the gills and for $45 per person, I wouldn't do it again. I'm glad we tried it, but once was enough for me. JMHO.

For what it is worth, we ate at the Tuscan Grill on our Summit cruise last month and it was the best meal of the cruise. We used on board credit, so really didn't cost us anything, but service was great and the food was really good. The filet was much better than any other cut of meat we could get in the MDR. Remember, you can usually get a 30% discount if you ask and are persistent.

We prefer the old menu.

There are several of our favorite items that have been removed.

As for the food quality and service it varies widely from ship to ship and week to week. I dined there on Equinox several times over 21 days the second and third cruise ago. The food was as good as ever. My daughter was there on the last cruise and had to send a "medium" filet mignon back twice the same night because it came out purple both times.

On Equinox they have a Senior Officers menu that is only two courses and a small subset of the normal menu. Does not include the new fresh pasta or the filet mignon !!! On Infinity 2 months ago the Senior Officers menu was 3 courses (one being the fresh pasta) and did include the filet mignon. Like I said - wide variation from ship to ship.

Just did 11 day Equinox 11/28-12/9, had 4 dinners and 1 lunch in Tuscan. We had UDP, loved the new menu. One night I opted for the dry aged strip steak, by far the best steak I have ever had on a cruise ship and in the top 10 of land based. The caprese with burrata was delicious. Garlic mashed potatoes were whipped perfect and the garlic was not overpowering.

Bronzino was cooked perfectly, nice and moist.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

We ate there twice on Equinox is November. I really like it better than all other Specialty as it has great variety. I found the food and service to be fantastic. We had 3 free dinners and only used 2, because Luminae was so good, but we would not have missed Tuscan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Forums mobile app

We went to Tuscan once on our B2B Silhouette cruise. Food overall was good, except for the upcharge steak, but I did warn my DH that dry aged or not the cut was not a good cut. We split it and when the server saw I was not eating mine he offered to replace it with a filet. Maître d agreed with me about the cut. Service was great and I enjoyed the pasta.

Murano's was as good as always, we went twice and had the dover sole and beef.

As far as wine, yes Tuscan and Murano's have a good selection by the glass on the premium package and if you order something above the package limit you only pay the difference, + gratuity. The package also gives you a 20% discount if you choose to order a bottle of wine. You can also order different wines for each course creating your own 5 senses menu.

We were there on Eclipse over Thanksgivivg. Food was good but not exceptional. Or TA makes our 'free' reservation so can't complain about cost.

Was surprised that sautéed mushrooms were no longer offered as a side at a quasi-steakhouse. We were told that if we wanted to come back we could place an order a day before. ?????

We ate in Tuscan Grill twice on our Silhouette Transatlantic cruise. Meal was amazing. The pasta with the short rib ragout was delicious, filets were tasty and cooked just as ordered, and the fig gelato and pistachio crime brûlée were yummy. Good service, too.

My daughter was there on the last cruise and had to send a "medium" filet mignon back twice the same night because it came out purple both times.

I think most people would call that "medium". Your daughter should have probably ordered medium-well or well done if she doesn't want pink or purple.

The meal we had was terrific. I had the Branzini. Spinach was a little heavy on the fresh garlic. I would ask for less next time. Looking forward to eating there again.

Went to Qsine again this last cruise and it was very disappointing. Food was cold and overly spicy(despite asking that we be steered away from any heavily spiced food). My mother became very ill during the night. Would not go back there again.

This was on the Summit.

Loved Tuscan on Infinity...had dinner then lunch...the menu does not due justice to the actual dishes...like the meatballs... Wine service was very personalized...excellent. Wish we could have eaten there every night

..BLU was way off, and while we also loved Q sine once per cruise is enough for us...Things there would go quicker without the silly ipad..wish they offered smaller portions...esp when many are just two folks dining..alot of waste.

Also enjoy Silk Harvest and are missing B on 5...our lunch spot.

Edited by hcat

For us it's the experience. The last time we ate at the Tuscan grill, the atmosphere was ruined by a rowdy table who would have been more comfortable in a neighborhood bar. Tables around them asked to be moved; the waiters were part of the frolic. Our complaints were pooh poohed because the table 'was just having fun'. We prefer the ambiance of Murano's.

Loved Tuscan on Infinity...had dinner then lunch...the menu does not due justice to the actual dishes...like the meatballs... Wine service was very personalized...excellent. Wish we could have eaten there every night

..BLU was way off, and while we also loved Q sine once per cruise is enough for us...Things there would go quicker without the silly ipad..wish they offered smaller portions...esp when many are just two folks dining..alot of waste.

Also enjoy Silk Harvest and are missing B on 5...our lunch spot.

We dined in Qsine on Reflection last week. We were a party of two and the waiter made sure the portions were appropriate for two people. We had no waste of food but we ordered only five items from the menu. I'd love to go back and try more items. Loved everything about the restaurant.

Edited by coffeebean

On 14 day Eclipse cruise just 2 weeks ago we bought a specialty restaurant package and ate two meals in Tuscan Grill. First time service was atrocious. Food was certainly fine. Second time, after I told them of my bad experience previously, they went out of their way to provide us good service. However, instead of the filet, I ordered the skirt steak which was barely edible. I doubt that Tuscan Grill will be on our list of "must do" dining venues during our next Celebrity cruise. However, i might consider again if they are offering a good discount off cover charge. I do think that it is insulting to guests that one goes to a steak restaurant and there is a surcharge for a basic strip steak. To make matters worse, the surcharge is only $8...talk about nickling and dimeing guests!

We dined in Qsine on Reflection last week. We were a party of two and the waiter made sure the portions were appropriate for two people. We had no waste of food but we ordered only five items from the menu. I'd love to go back and try more items. Loved everything about the restaurant.

Good to know....that was our first time there so we will be smarter next time around abt our choices and insist on smaller portions....the huge rack of fries was ridiculous as were so many sushi lollipops..which only I eat.. The food was outstanding...just the portion control...ouch! And the decor was really fresh and new!

For us it's the experience. The last time we ate at the Tuscan grill, the atmosphere was ruined by a rowdy table who would have been more comfortable in a neighborhood bar. Tables around them asked to be moved; the waiters were part of the frolic. Our complaints were pooh poohed because the table 'was just having fun'. We prefer the ambiance of Murano's.

Drunks....that was part of the problem in BLU, esp at the large tbls , Oberved this several evenings while waiting for our food or waiters to appear .......On one night, a couple a few tables away started pushing and slapping each other...it was really so low class...

slow dinner service combined withwine poured freely by maitre d and sommelier. was a recipe for disaster

I think most people would call that "medium". Your daughter should have probably ordered medium-well or well done if she doesn't want pink or purple.

To me pink is "medium", red is "rare" and purple is "uncooked" !!!

While I was onboard for 21 days we went there several times ordering 4 "medium" filet mignons each time. Every one was pink.

Edited by TommyD3