Ft. Lauderdale vs. Miami

MrsTocko

We are booked on NCL Jade in March 2018 (right around spring break) for a 10-day Southern Caribbean. it is round trip out of Miami. I am a planner and I will be booking hotel and air as soon as they are available...

I am looking for suggestions/recommendations/opinions for ease of Airport (have heard that FLL is better), as well as an AFFORDABLE hotel. (80-130 per night). Would like a clean hotel, in a neighborhood that is safer for walking (taking common sense precautions).

Thanks....and...GO!!!

Even in the FLL area your hotel budget is unrealistic even if you were willing to stay in Crack Alley. The most basic hotels in the FLL Airport South area are $200-250 in March. Though that should get you a shuttle from the airport and a pretty good breakfast. Those are in the Stirling Rd/I-95 interchange area are safe and clean with plenty of restaurants close by. Avoid any hotel with an address on or near State Rd 84, even a national chain.

Remember you also have to take into consideration the cost of transport to PortMiami the next morning. You'll see recommendations for shared shuttle services throughout this board, but with their multiple stops you need to allow over an hour to get to Miami. If you can find a flight early enough and not more expensive than flying into FLL, you may want to consider flying to MIA and staying near the Port--though that does involve the cost of a taxi from MIA as there are no shuttles to downtown. Either way I implore you to not start off your 10 day cruise by risking the choice of inferior accommodations based on your scary-low initial price point.

We are booked on NCL Jade in March 2018 (right around spring break) for a 10-day Southern Caribbean. it is round trip out of Miami. I am a planner and I will be booking hotel and air as soon as they are available...

I am looking for suggestions/recommendations/opinions for ease of Airport (have heard that FLL is better), as well as an AFFORDABLE hotel. (80-130 per night). Would like a clean hotel, in a neighborhood that is safer for walking (taking common sense precautions).

Thanks....and...GO!!!

This question is asked at least two, three or four times a week so all you need to do is scroll down the board and going to Page 2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...

You're welcome...and...GO!!!

I want to comment about airport.

If you will be spending a good deal of time at the airport and the prices are similar with both airports (if you use Fort Lauderdale be sure to consider the additional cost getting between airport and port) I would pick Miami Airport. Why? Because I find many more options for lunch and find that the terminals offer many more choices to make the time go by faster.

Keith

You have over 450 days until your cruise. I would try to save a quarter a day so that you could afford a room that doesn't come with a prostitute, crack pipe, and wet stain on the bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by pgharea

I want to comment about airport.

If you will be spending a good deal of time at the airport and the prices are similar with both airports (if you use Fort Lauderdale be sure to consider the additional cost getting between airport and port) I would pick Miami Airport. Why? Because I find many more options for lunch and find that the terminals offer many more choices to make the time go by faster.

Keith

Keith...The flaw in your logic is the difference in cost getting from FLL to POM and MIA to POM is insignificant since it costs $27 taxi fare from MIA to POM while a couple can get to POM from FLL for $15 each via SAS. They save a whopping $3 per couple. Now, for those of you about to jump in and say Uber is cheaper, that small savings is still insignificant to the difference in hotel prices.

Oh, yeah...FLL has free WiFi for those spending a lot of time in the airport which allows them to catch up their email, fb and Cruise Critic while waiting for their flights.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Thanks....and...GO!!!

I'm sorry but this is just so rude.

That said, I hate to pile on but your budget is completely unrealistic.

If airline prices are similar, look at hotels downtown Miami.

You need to up your budget so you don't start off your vacation being mugged.

You have over 450 days until your cruise. I would try to save a quarter a day so that you could afford a room that doesn't come with a prostitute, crack pipe, and wet stain on the bed.

I can't stop laughing at this!

However, there is some truth in this. OP save your money to up your hotel budget.

I'm sorry but this is just so rude.

That said, I hate to pile on but your budget is completely unrealistic.

If airline prices are similar, look at hotels downtown Miami.

You need to up your budget so you don't start off your vacation being mugged.

I thought it did come off as she is now here to direct and command us minions like we were sitting here waiting for her instructions.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Thanks for the laugh!:D

But so true. After spending so much on airfare and cruise, it makes no sense to worry about an extra 100.00 or so to stay at a decent hotel.

We are fans of the properties in North Beach Village...for our upcoming March cruise (roundtrip out of Miami), we fly into Fort Lauderdale and stay a couple of nights before heading over to Miami on the day we sail. I can recommend either TropiRock or Cocobelle, either one of which comes in at about $139 (oops, a little over your budget) per night. Either is close to the beach, Galleria Mall in one direction and Beach Place in the other. Both are clean and I feel safe in either place. There are several other properties that are part of the group, but they are pricier. Either of these two fits our needs and budget.

Hope this helps.

P.S. I found a shuttle that will take three of us to the POM for $60...I believe that is reasonable.

For us, FLL was our only option since we fly Southwest. We booked through valuetrips and got the Hyatt Place on 17th Street for well within your price range. It was in May, I'm not sure on Spring Break pricing but it is worth a look.

May is not peak. Spring break value rate is usually $210 or thereabouts.

I just booked this for $106 per night at the end of April through Booking.com:

Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port. It was recently renovated, has OK reviews, and has a free airport shuttle.

SAS will pick me up at the hotel for the transfer to the port in Miami.

Edited by 422Melissa
added details

I just booked this for $106 per night at the end of April through Booking.com:

Rodeway Inn & Suites Fort Lauderdale Airport & Cruise Port. It was recently renovated, has OK reviews, and has a free airport shuttle.

SAS will pick me up at the hotel for the transfer to the port in Miami.

After you check in you will find out why it was such a low price...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/search.php?searchid=97334643

Ha. I've only seen pics but I agree.with Lido_Deck. We booked the Homewood Suites FL for this March. It was 270 for a two room suite and I consider that a steal. Nice property, free breakfast, and free airport and cruise port shuttle. That's about the lowest price I could hope for when it comes to a decent hotel when shopping Expedia.

Also, when booking a room in Miami last year, I found prices started high and dropped much closer to sailing. So rooms wont necessarily be cheaper earlier. We stayed at the Royal Palm South Beach free with Starwood Points I had from work. It was $500+ when we booked 7 months out. It was $300+ a month prior to sailing.

I am a planner who likes to save receipts and analyze trip costs and better options the next time around. After vacation of course while planning the next one so I don't ruin my time in the current one. I watch costs too but can tell you paying a little more for a decent hotel stay will have you relaxed for that cruise you paid thousands of dollars for! Same goes for transportation to the cruise port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ha. I've only seen pics but I agree.with Lido_Deck. We booked the Homewood Suites FL for this March. It was 270 for a two room suite and I consider that a steal. Nice property, free breakfast, and free airport and cruise port shuttle. That's about the lowest price I could hope for when it comes to a decent hotel when shopping Expedia.

Also, when booking a room in Miami last year, I found prices started high and dropped much closer to sailing. So rooms wont necessarily be cheaper earlier. We stayed at the Royal Palm South Beach free with Starwood Points I had from work. It was $500+ when we booked 7 months out. It was $300+ a month prior to sailing.

I am a planner who likes to save receipts and analyze trip costs and better options the next time around. After vacation of course while planning the next one so I don't ruin my time in the current one. I watch costs too but can tell you paying a little more for a decent hotel stay will have you relaxed for that cruise you paid thousands of dollars for! Same goes for transportation to the cruise port.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Homewood Suites also has a nice evening reception with food, beer and wine if you are there Monday-Thursday. It is also easy walking distance to two icon restaurants of Ft Lauderdale, Tropical Acres Steakhouse...

http://www.tropicalacres.com/

and Rustic Inn Crabhouse...

http://arkrestaurants.com/rustic-inn-fort-lauderdale/

as well as Islamorado Fish Company...

http://restaurants.basspro.com/FishCompany/DaniaBeach/

You might also check the availability and price of a 2 BR/2 BA Trio Suite at Hyatt House

Thanks! Next time around, though. We are getting in late evening Friday and going to bed when we get there so we can take transportation to Miami the next morning to board the Escape. Wife is a teacher and they have a rule about not taking Fridays off the week before a spring break. So we have to fly out early evening on the only evening flight we could get to the state of Florida. Next morning is not an option as I won't chance missing the boat. Looking forward to seeing FLL briefly nd staying longer the next time around, though. I will print these off actually and put in my cruise binder for a future trip.

Thanks! Next time around, though. We are getting in late evening Friday and going to bed when we get there so we can take transportation to Miami the next morning to board the Escape. Wife is a teacher and they have a rule about not taking Fridays off the week before a spring break. So we have to fly out early evening on the only evening flight we could get to the state of Florida. Next morning is not an option as I won't chance missing the boat. Looking forward to seeing FLL briefly nd staying longer the next time around, though. I will print these off actually and put in my cruise binder for a future trip.

Well...The TriRail Station is right across the street from the hotel and for $5 pp it will take you to the MIA rental car facility in 47 minutes. Trains leave Ft Lauderdale once an hour on the weekends at :03 after the hour. Taxi from MIA to POM is $27, so Uber has to be less.

Edited by Lido_Deck

For the Record...A very nice Fairfield Inn shares a parking lot with Homewood Suites, a brand new Residence Inn is catty-corner across the street and Courtyard is on the other side of the Train Station.

Edited by Lido_Deck

Thank you all for the input. Our cruise leaves on a Friday, we will be arriving in FL on the Wednesday before. We live in San Diego, so I am well equipped with high hotel prices. We frequently travel around major travel holidays, and I know that further out I can book, the better my chances to get a decent price. If we fly into FLL, will use SAS for transportation to the port.

I don't mind paying more for a hotel, however, I am not up to paying 500+ per night (current March 2017). I always have options, as well as research areas fully. I was looking for "stay out this area" or "you should be able to find something decent in this area, though it may be higher than you are hoping for" Rather disappointed that out of 2 pages of posts/replies from adults, only about 3 were actually useful, there rest were about how unrealistic I was seeming to be. I would rather not spend more on 2 nights in a hotel than the cost of my entire 10 day cruise for 2...or maybe that does make me unrealistic looking to get mugged and looking to stay in a crack hotel that rents rooms by the hour...really people????

I would rather not spend more on 2 nights in a hotel than the cost of my entire 10 day cruise for 2...or maybe that does make me unrealistic looking to get mugged and looking to stay in a crack hotel that rents rooms by the hour...really people????

Because your budget is completely unrealistic for South Florida in March.

If you don't want to get mugged, cruise out of somewhere else. $80-$120 for a hotel budget in March in South Florida will get you a hotel that charges by the hour if you can even find that.

The hotels in the suburbs charge much more than that.