Current 'Stuff' NZ article, about Cruise crime

It's a shame they didn't put it into perspective,comparing the figures with deaths from natural causes, suicide, homicide, and general crime in a major city - say, Auckland.

I get really annoyed with scaremongering articles like that one. :mad:

Quite a poor article that could have used better factual evidence. But this paragraph stands out as true.

"Passengers on cruise vessels have an inadequate appreciation of their potential vulnerability to crime while on ocean voyages, and those who may be victimised lack the information they need to understand their legal rights or to know whom to contact for help in the immediate aftermath of the crime."

Historically, the industry also has been reluctant to comment publicly

Everything I've seen, it seems there is waaaaay less crime on a cruise than on land

The Australian murder rate is around 1.5 per 100,000, howmany a year would we need onboard to equal that, doesn't seem to be anywhere near 1 a year in Australian sailings. Sexual assault around 85 per 100,000 (reported sexual assaults).

General Theft around 2,000 per 100,000.

Must have been a slow news week!

Well, it's the summer break and silly season for news here. Crime on cruise ships is nothing new.

A cruise ship is like a miniature city and there are bound to be a few dishonest people on board.

Just take routine precautions, as you would anywhere.

Passengers are more at risk when they go ashore .:eek:

Agreed.

I saw that article and it was not well written at all. It's both scaremongering and all over the place.

I guess with all the articles about the ovation this week someone felt inspired in all the wrong ways.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, NZ media is not known for writing great articles! I think most of our news revolves around hype and scaremongering...

I was hopeful that this kind of publicity might lead to better protection on board cruise ships, as I have heard some stories about being in international waters and therefore police not following up with crimes that happen on board ships etc. But I don't know the details of how this works.

We just finished a cruise this month on Vision of the seas

Whilst in Athens we bought some xmas presents

On boarding the wife put the bags through the scanner but was sent to one side when something pinged on her

When she got through her bags we're missing

We reported it straight away and were told to go to reception after 12 hours

The bags had still not been handed in, and they said they would review CCTV after 24 hours

Next day the gifts were behind the counter minus bags & packaging

Obviously the toe rags had packed them away & happy with their ill gotten gains

Thanks to the ship security

For the return

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

A terrible article with no real factual point or evidence one way or the other. The article really didn't have an angle or even report whether it is dangerous or not to cruise, just that sometimes, crime happens but they have no proof or reports.:(

That's a pretty good article for that particular tabloid. The main issue I imagine is that when you're interviewing your keyboard it's hard to get facts. All they want to achieve is clicks to sell advertising - so long as the headline is appealing they've done their job.

That's a pretty good article for that particular tabloid. The main issue I imagine is that when you're interviewing your keyboard it's hard to get facts. All they want to achieve is clicks to sell advertising - so long as the headline is appealing they've done their job.

I fear you are correct, click bait articles.:(