Silversea Water Cooler: Part 3, Welcome!

Host Dan

Terry....always good to read about travelling and various views on such places.....l always think researching a trip is as enjoyable as taking it!

YES! YES!! Agree with Sophia about the fun and value for doing all of the advance planning and research. Smart about . . . "researching a trip is as enjoyable as taking it!" My view or twist is that the research makes the actual trip work so much better and helps the actual travel become much more enjoyable and memorable.

Right now, as I might have mentioned earlier, we are working on putting together all of the details for three different trips. All are first-time "adventures" visits in most of these different areas!! They are:

1. Late February, for a 15-day Ft. Lauderdale to San Francisco sailing that goes through the Panama Canal and will give us our first visits in Colombia, Central American and Mexico.

2. In mid June, we are doing an 11-day Lisbon to Rouen sailing on the Silver Spirit that has lots of great stops in Portugal, Spain and France. That includes much, in-depth, for Bordeaux and Brittany.

3. In just over a year from now, we will be starting in Hong Kong, then doing Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City before boarding a seven-day Mekong River cruise up through Vietnam and Cambodia. This early 2018 SE Asia adventure will finish with time in Angkor Wat and then going by air to northern Laos and Bangkok.

Our bottom line is to keep exploring, learning and enjoying the world. That's a key plus and reason for doing such cruises and the various stops and trips before and after the ship sailings.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

AFRICA?!!?: Lots of interesting and dramatic pictures can be seen from my latest live/blog at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2310337

Now at 25.221 views for this reporting and visual sharing that includes Cape Town, all along the South Africa coast, Mozambique, Victoria Falls/Zambia and Botswana's famed Okavango Delta area.

Hello all.

48 F this morning. Very cold for this area.

Making soup to warm up.

Sorry about all the travails of some of the coolers. Hope that the new day and week ahead brings good events and less angst.

We are still reeling from the events in Ft Lauderdale, just down the road and the airport and airline I used almost every other week for business travel. There but for the grace of God...one news commentator said we must get used to these events happening in our world as it is today. It is something I am not willing to accept. I mourn for the loss of those who died, those who were shot and pray for those injured.

Edited by spinnaker2

Special thoughts with you Spins.....one never ever knows what's going to happen next in any part of the world as it is today....and whilst it is so very difficult to accept it remains so hard when such events happen....l too reeled when l first saw the news.....have been considering FLL as opposed to Miami if departing from there.....but in reality...where are we safe ...one just has to carry on in this very sad world....

Do hope you and Mr Spins are well........

S [emoji4]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good early morning Coolers ...... (03:45 here ...) from a balmy night.

TGH thank for the suggestion we'll certainly take a look. Thanks to coolers for thinking of wifey and me and the lovley thoughts.

It's tremendous terrible news from the US and the sad thing is that it seems we are increasingly having to take these issues in our stride and see it almost as "the norm" and in the large portfolio of things in our lives that we have to accomodate as potential day to day unforeeable risks that we have to "accept" or be paralysed.

Thoughts to all those effected.

Jeff

Now we know why Sir Tim was on our flight to Sinagapore .....http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=7453 Jeff

spinnaker2: 48 F this morning. Very cold for this area. We are still reeling from the events in Ft Lauderdale' date=' just down the road and the airport and airline I used almost every other week for business travel. There but for the grace of God...one news commentator said we must get used to these events happening in our world as it is today. It is something I am not willing to accept. I mourn for the loss of those who died, those who were shot and pray for those injured. [/quote']

Appreciate this added background/details about how Seabourn has a new production show, "An Evening with Tim Rice", on their newest luxury ship. Super cool that they will have a premiere in the presence of the man himself on the ship's maiden voyage. And, love it that Jeff could be on the flight with Sir Rice.

Yes, the tragic killings in Ft. Lauderdale are terrible. One nearby Ohio woman was killed and her husband is still in critical condition down there. We will be flying into that same airport Feb. 27 for starting the next day our Panama Canal cruise to San Francisco.

It's cold, COLD here in Ohio. Overnight low around zero last night. Right now it is 17F. Goes down to 7F tonight. But "warming up" to 30F tomorrow.

Last Sunday, on New Years Day, we were in Charlottesville, Va., with our grandsons and family members. Went to Thomas Jefferson's famed Monticello home that is an architectural masterpiece sitting on a mountain top looking out on the Blue Ridges. We had been there many years ago, but we had a perfect sunny day in the 60F's last Sunday. The tour guide for our tour was super interesting and very informative. He gave us lots of "color" in connection with Jefferson and his life. Below are some visual samples. Great American history associated with Mr. Jefferson!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Dozens of nice visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc. We are now at 219,956 views for this live/blog re-cap, including much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Here is the most famous angle for Jefferson's Monticello home. This is the side shown on the back of the U.S. nickel. Notice the reflection in the water of the famed dome on this structure?:

DecTravel2016A%20030_zpstfo7sdko.jpg

Inside Jefferson's home, they do not want you to take any pictures. BUT, sometimes when your camera is hanging down at your stomach, it will "accidentally" go off. Those "things" happen!! And with skillful editing and cropping, the visuals do not look too bad. Below are the results. First is in his study. The prime window faces west. Jefferson believe the "west" was the future for the Americas and he was correct with his Louisiana Purchase and other leadership actions. Second is one of the dining areas in his home. Love the look and views? Notice the decorating inspired by his Europe travels and cultured interests?:

DecTravel2016A%20029_zpsrgtb8yhr.jpg

DecTravel2016A%20028_zpsn7vdlv2l.jpg

This final picture is not a "selfie". My arms are not that long. But I offered to take a picture for another couple and then had them snap this picture of my wife and me. The sunny, nice weather is clearly reflected in our smiling faces.:

DecTravel2016A%20027_zpskgkxxeqa.jpg

Edited by TLCOhio

Greetings Coolers!

J...Your pictures are awesome! Thanks so much for posting them! Myster and I missed Singapore last year because we went to Bhutan. It looks like a magical place and I would love to visit it. Your pictures are great incentives to make that happen! I would gladly trade cold and blusterly for hot and humid!!!!

Have a great day/evening all!

Thanks M, hope you and Myster are well ...

Some more random Chinatown piccies ... every bit of shade is a haven ...

DSC03348.jpg

Camera

DSC-RX100M3

Focal Length

8.8mm

Aperture

f/2.8

Exposure

1/40s

ISO

Camera

DSC

Focal Leng

8.8mm

Aperture

f/2.8

Exposure

1/40s

ISO

Camera

DSC-RX100M3

Length

8.8mm

Aperture

f/2.

Exposue

1/40s

ISO

amera SC-RX100LengtApre .xpos

DSC03349.jpg

Camera

DSC-RX100M3

Focal Length

12.48mm

Aperture

f/4

Exposure

1/640s

ISO

Camera

DSC-RX100M3

Focal Length

12.48mm

Aperture

f/4

Exposure

1/640s

ISO

Camera

DSC-RX100M3

Focal Length

12.48mm

Aperture

f/4

Exposure

1/640s

ISO

Camera DSCocal Length 12.48mmperture f/4Eposure 1/640I

DSC03350.jpg

Camera

DSC-RX100M3

Focal Length

14.9mm

Aperture

f/2.8

Exposure

1/60s

ISO

Camera

DSC-RX100M3

Focal Length

14.9mm

Aperture

f/2.8

Exposure

1/60s

ISO

Camera

DSC-RX100M3

Foal Length

14.9mm

Aperture

f/2.8

xposure 1/60s

O 12

....... and tonight in the small garden was Etta James on the Bose with a Big Mac Meal Deal with with Absolut Voddy overtones .......

Have a nice evening/morning/day all coolers ....

Jeff

(apologies for wierd spacing ...)

9EDCE5E2-E37D-4E29-8D98-26C1444007A0.jpg

ot.. but those little Bose are remarkable gadgets.

Over xmas the music filled a very large area and killed my conversation capacity over dinner.

Later I sought out the offending sonic weapon and found the little Bose running off one of the kids phones.. duuuuh

Thanks for the photos Jeff.

We fly out to Singapore on Friday. Only 2 nights, one full day there unfortunately. We have booked a food tour of Chinatown which we are looking forward to. Your photos make me even more excited.

Good Morning Coolers ....

Thanks Spins .... yes TGH those Bose bricks are stunning ... we have them bluetoothed to an ipad full of music. It is one of our essential travel items.

Jillyf, yes I read in an earlier post your plan to visit, I do so hope you enjoy every moment. I've posted a fair amount of Singapore related suggestions and advice over the years so if you are interested search Singapore and me will turn up much more, but ask any specifics you may have or any questions etc. Happy to help you optimise your moments here.

You really do not need a tour of Chinatown. It is very compact and so much to see if you simply wander but I quite understand the preference for a guide. I am just worried that it might eat a disproprtionate amount of your extremely short time here.

I think we're off to Tiong Bahru for a wander this morning. It is an original housing estate with our favourite hawker center for lunch.

Jeff

Jeff, nice to see that you're having a fun time in Singapore. Enjoyed the pictures! And I see that you're a big spender, bypassing the $2.50 roast meats for the higher-priced stuff! ;) Some day we shall have to visit. We are definitely looking forward to the India trip. If nothing else, it will be a great escape from this nasty cold weather we're having. But, I think it will be a lot better than that!

Speaking of big spender, today is Chris' birthday so we went out for a nice dinner at a relatively new steak and seafood place in town. Food was quite tasty but portions were huge, so some of dinner is home in the refrigerator. We also brought back part of the bottle of wine, but that never made it to the refrigerator; it's in our glasses now, and won't be there too much longer!

It was a South African blend from Franschhoek - mostly Syrah, but some Grenache, Cab Sauv, Cinsault, with 1% Viogner for good measure. Yummy. And the winery is in Franschhoek...where we just were a few months ago. I mapped it and we were so close, I can almost taste the terroir. Great memories!

Thanks JP, send wifey and my happy birthday ... hope you have a great celebration.

Loads of changes in Singapore since our last visit ... our hotel is on it's fourth manager and not all "enhancements"make things better although an oddity I find with hotel managers is that their perception of their feedback is that they are doing a lot better than they generally seem to us that they are. Normally you get the hotel fully trained just about the time you are due to leave ... and this might be our last visit to Singapore for a while. I think we have concluded that as we only spent around two weeks at our beach place each year for the last two years we must make more use of it. So there will be more pictures from the balcony henceforth. We are lucky to have such a place and we must use it.

It's nice seeig all the same friends still here. They have a young chap with "learning difficulties" who keeps the lounge clean. If I understood correctly on our last visit hehad a promotion and supervises another cleaner and that is a real achievement. I always tell the hotel I think it wonderful he is there and is a real asset. We send him a christmas card each year and I'm told by others he really loves receiving it. We give him our flight amenity kit whic he seems to enjoy. Also really pleased to receive a tap on the door from one of the laundy supervisors yesterday. Stephen was talking about retiring on our very first visit but he is still here and he saw that we were visitng and came to say hello. I have yet to tempt him with a sit down visit and a drink .... one day. The staff in the lounge have been reserving our favourite table each night which makes my resolve to keep off the wine a bit tough.

Today just a wander around Marina Bay and some black pepper beef in the food court with stir fry veg. We might take afternoon tea in he hotel where cakes and sandwiches are the order of the day ... and now my early afternoon gin and tonic. I am just pleased they are removing the mini bar charges - they are a frightening line on the daily tally.

We've managed to get the small laptop connected to the TV via an HDMI wall socket and with the connection to the home slingbox, we effectively have full UK TV and the pvr's at home on line so it is a bit like home.

Jeff

Hi Coolers....[emoji4]

Such lovely pics to enjoy from one and all.....so pleased Jeffers and Mrs J are enjoying Singapore......

Belated Happy Birthday to Chris....

Waiting to see how much of the white stuff we get later as forecast.....looking pretty grim out there right now.....all stocked up so not worried!

Happy Day

S [emoji5]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk