Clothing for temple visits

qak

On our cruise we are going to a few ports where the shore excursions include temple visits. The descriptions of the excursions say to enter the temples you can't wear shorts or skirts, shoulders must be covered etc.

I think it will be too hot to wear long clothes all day; do you think these places may have covering garments available to borrow for visitors to wear?

We never saw anything to borrow in Thailand. Just wore slacks and shirts with shirt sleeves. We did leave our shoes at the door, so be prepared for that.

Son in law bought paper slacks near St Peter's in the Vatican, so maybe that idea is spreading, but I wouldn't count on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Grand Palace in Bangkok did have clothing you could borrow - and long lines to utilize (of course the lines there have been crazy long due to the mourning of their king) We were just there at the beginning of December.

I wore my tek (Kohls) long pants and a short sleeve linen tee (I had planned to wear a maxi dress and a long sleeve wicking shirt from Columbia, but I forgot to pack it ) My husband wore full length wicking travel pants I found at Costco earlier in the year (and bought in all colors - same with the travel wicking shorts I found there:p)

It depends on what country and what temples you are referring to.

While in Myanmar recently, I saw many insensitive tourists who just had shorts despite the signs at the entrance that gave clear instructions.

In some places they take this issue more seriously than others. Just have something light, even better, something that you can remove when leaving the temple.

Loose long linen pants and loose long sleeved cotton or linen shirts - works everywhere any time. Protects from the sun and mosquitoes. The backpackers on land trips usually wore long and light baggy cotton pants, available in many Thai street markets.

But it depends on the country how strictly they enforce dress codes. Sometimes it is covered knees and shoulders, it could also be long pants down to the ankles or no dress code at all.

I find hi-tech convertable travel pants are the best, especially in hot climates. They keep me cool, wick away sweat, and dry quickly. Also I find long loose pants actually cooler than shorts in hot weather as they shield your skin from the direct heat of the sun.

I usually wear short sleeved tshirts, and carry a lightweight wide scarf in my bag for when I need to cover my head.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

One thing we found in Vietnam & Cambodia, women could not wear sleeveless tops and use a scarf, pashmina, etc to cover their shoulders, it had to be a shirt with sleeves.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I used a big cotton wrap to cover me to visit a modern temple in Da Nang a few years ago (and put it on before approaching the temple grounds), but I do keep my whole upper body well covered, including my neck and lower arms in such circumstances.

I would be interested in details of such experiences in Vietnam as we will be there for seven days in February. I am wondering if the wraps have been quite small or so thin that they are a tad revealing, or are some temples really that strict.

Most of the time I do take overshirts/blouses, but tend not to fasten the buttons - would that be acceptable?

Edited by tring

Loose cotton or limit long shorts / pants that cover knees;.

That is not acceptable at all temples. At the Grand Palace in Bangkok, must cover to ankles.

So it *really* depends where you're going to visit. And each site should have instructions posted on their websites these days - just read & follow instructions (of course, covering EVERYTHING will keep you in the clear for all situations...)

That is not acceptable at all temples. At the Grand Palace in Bangkok, must cover to ankles.

So it *really* depends where you're going to visit. And each site should have instructions posted on their websites these days - just read & follow instructions (of course, covering EVERYTHING will keep you in the clear for all situations...)

You are correct. But ship will provide guidance. The only place I ever recall having to cover ankles (and elbows) was in mid-east. I may have missed the Grand Palace in my SE Asia cruise, or perhaps I was wearing pants. So best advice is to bring lots of clothing options, and read the ship's guidance.

Sent telepathically.

I will just put this out there. If you are a heavier woman, the coverups when available are really too small to go around. A little worry but they did allow me in with the wrap around the waist as far as it would go. The spirit but certainly not covered. Perhaps taking a long shawl that goes around you a good idea. In Indonesia on a land tour -- the guide had a wrap he offered (and it was clean -- the others ahhhhh?:p) At least one temple and one other site had wraps that were given after you paid so needed their wrap.

I wear medical compression stockings after vein surgery. They are open toe and knee high and called natural color -- you know that awful beige. I can not put on and take off for the temples. Do you think that these stockings under a maxi skirt or pants will do? I swell more with heat and do not need lympedima on vacation. Do I just power on with the stockings? Can't pull foot up like I have in past -- too much compression.

But ship will provide guidance.

In what way? Our "ship" did not provide guidance. Our guides did, in the places we booked tours. We don't do ship tours - we do private or we DIY. There was no information in the daily ship newsletter about clothing requirements - and why would there be? A ship has no idea what its passengers plan to do onshore and couldn't provide all detail necessary. That's a guide's job.....

But, as an avid DIYer, even when I book a private tour, I'm going to be online checking out requirements before I travel.....

Do you think that these stockings under a maxi skirt or pants will do?

They are covered up, no problem. It doesn't matter what kind of stockings or no stockings you wear as long as your knees or legs (depending on temple) are covered by pants or skirt.

If you do not wish to walk on these expensive stockings in temples where you have to take off your shoes, wear the short short socks on top of them. They are widely available in our area for people who want to appear sockless in shoes.

Shoes have to be taken off in many temples, best use a well worn pair that can easily be taken off. There is often no chair or bench to sit down.

If you do not wish to walk on these expensive stockings in temples where you have to take off your shoes, wear the short short socks on top of them. They are widely available in our area for people who want to appear sockless in shoes.

Shoes have to be taken off in many temples, best use a well worn pair that can easily be taken off. There is often no chair or bench to sit down.

I was hoping that maybe the nude colored compression stockings would pass unnoticed. I can not get on or off easily and especially not without a chair. I do wear those short socks often but I find black better than white -- don't get so dirty. It is just the bare foot rule that will mess me up. Usually I pick something silly like this to worry about and I am usually just fine. I hate to say it but the don't ask don't tell method is usually easier than asking for exemption. Can always say not entering or may I speak to authority if you get a diligent officer. I don't mean disrespect but the stockings are important to my health so can not just not wear them on tour days. I'm almost 70 -- think I will outgrow this stage!:p

Are there actually temples where your feet must be bare? The only thing we encountered was removing *shoes* - I wore ankle socks with my shoes a couple of days and did not take them off to enter temples - nor did many other people (this was Thailand & Vietnam). So just double check where you plan to go - stockings could be fine!

Thailand, Laos, Vietnam, Cambodia - never encountered a 'socks off' rule. I think it is a rumor on cc. I remember somebody posting this on the river forum, Mekong. I can assure you it is not true. I took this river cruise.;)

China - Temples are not frequent and I never had to take off my shoes.

Japan - Shoes have to be taken off frequently to protect the wooden floors of castles and some temples. The Japanese wear socks for that. They sell the most colorful and greatest pattern variety short socks in their department stores. Since these socks are hidden in the shoes, they are only seen at home, in tatami mat restaurants, castles, and some temples.

Maybe there are Indian temples with the sockless rule, haven't been there, can't confirm.

In what way? Our "ship" did not provide guidance. Our guides did, in the places we booked tours. We don't do ship tours - we do private or we DIY. There was no information in the daily ship newsletter about clothing requirements - and why would there be? A ship has no idea what its passengers plan to do onshore and couldn't provide all detail necessary. That's a guide's job.....

But, as an avid DIYer, even when I book a private tour, I'm going to be online checking out requirements before I travel.....

Our ship (Seabourn) provides a newsletter every evening, placed in our cabin, about the next day's activities/schedule, menus and the next port, including a blurb about the country/region/city, weather, currency, and suggested attire. I believe we had that on a other cruise lines as well (Silversea and SeaDream) but it's been awhile. We generally do a mix of private and ship excursions. Takes a bit of research to figure out what will be best for what we want, but that's part of the fun and excitement of planning for a cruise.

I have been to many places of worship all over the world. Borobudur Temple in Java definitely had Sarongs (used this picture of us in matching sarongs for Christmas letter!) and they were provided by the temple (upon payment of fee to enter). Other temples in Java and Bali used the long sarongs provided by guide. Thailand had many places where needed specific clothing including temples and the Palace. This was the place that the sarongs for visitors were to go to the ankle but I had a problem as a plus sized lady getting it to go around me. Mighty little people in Viet Nam and Thailand. Thailand you leave your shoes outside. I was rather wondering if they would be there when I came out (they were). I wonder if you carried a small nylon bag for your shoes to be popped into so they were with you when you exit.

As Someone Else posted. Thailand is in morning for their King. It lasts a full year. Must be more modest than their usual plus only white or black. Check it out as there are now additional polite behaviors needed.

Have a wonderful time. Most people most places tolerate their visitors well and I think that generally I am better treated in other countries as a visitor than as a native in USA -- never been flipped off or honked at or shouted at except in my own country. Gotta love the east coast USA.