Drinks Package Question

Javert1969

Hi all,

I am going on a cruise from Fort Lauderdale on Serenade starting 2nd January.

I'm not a regular on this type of holiday so I'm not sure what the types of things to look out for would be.

I am looking at the deluxe drinks package and it's available for £35GBP per person per day.

However, since I can't seem to find the drinks price list on the site, it's difficult to tell whether this is a good deal or not.

We tend to have a glass (or several!) of wine with meals, quite a bit of water, and the odd soft drink here and there.

Based on that, would the drinks package normally be worthwhile to purchase?

Also, does the deluxe drinks package include decent drinks or are they all cheap knock offs like at some all inclusive resorts?

Also, does the drinks package get charged for every day onboard including the final day when we are leaving the ship early in the morning?

Finally, this is a slightly different question, but do you have to pay extra if you want breakfast in the cabin?

TIA for any hints on these things - cheers.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need to drink 8-10 drinks per day, every day to just break even on the cost of the package. It's a lot of alcohol (which isn't a problem for some). They use to offer wine packages onboard so if that's still an option that might be a better choice for you.

Drinks average about $12.

You will pay the daily cost for every day of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

£35 is currently just under $45 so nearer 4 drinks / cocktails to break even, I've bought at this price and think its a good deal, especially for me as my cruise has lots of sea days or half days.

You will pay 18% tip on the package price when you buy it on line but this would also be the case when you buy drinks on board.

One thing I like about the drink package is not having to worry if a drink melts or goes warm in the sun as you can order another!

Wine is included up to a certain price and then you pay the extra for higher priced glasses, you get a discount off the bottle price if you have the drinks package.

Gillian

Edited by sotong

good but lots of info on the RCI blog -http://www.******************.com/category/category/unlimited-alcohol-packages

Gillian

Whoops forget Cruise Critic doesn't like the rest of internet!

Edited by sotong
added comment !!

Also, does the deluxe drinks package include decent drinks or are they all cheap knock offs like at some all inclusive resorts?

Also, does the drinks package get charged for every day onboard including the final day when we are leaving the ship early in the morning?

The drink package includes all alcoholic cocktails and wines by the glass up to a value of $12 or $13, which includes virtually all cocktails offered. If you order wine by the glass or a cocktail that exceeds the drink package limit, you are charged the difference plus 18%.

Regarding the number days charged, you are charged by the number of nights on the cruise.

If you will have 5+ alcoholic drinks a day, probably worth it. If you really only have 1 or 2 glasses of wine at dinner, not worth it.

Note that the package also includes premium coffee drinks, soda and bottled water. But even buying some soda and what not, still probably not worth it.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think you need to drink 8-10 drinks per day, every day to just break even on the cost of the package. It's a lot of alcohol (which isn't a problem for some). They use to offer wine packages onboard so if that's still an option that might be a better choice for you.

Drinks average about $12.

You will pay the daily cost for every day of the cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's closer to 5-6 alcoholic drinks a day - plus soda, water, specialty coffee, fresh squeezed juice ....... So it's probably worth it to OP.

Hi all,

Finally, this is a slightly different question, but do you have to pay extra if you want breakfast in the cabin?

TIA for any hints on these things - cheers.

Drink packages are priced on the number of nights of a cruise - 7-night cruise you would pay for 7 nights.

No extra charge for breakfast in your cabin. You can order the night before and specify delivery time. Room service is not included in your gratuities so you should tip delivery person - usually $2-5 depending on the size of the order.

There is a standard charge for room service - around $5 - for service between midnight and 5:00 a.m. Food is still free, this is just a fee. Varies from ship-to-ship but this was on the Serenade in April of this year.

We are on the NYE sailing on the Brilliance and ordered the drink package for both of us. It was 271.40 ea for our 5 day cruise. That breaks down to (4.5) $12 drinks per day. On our previous cruises most of our cocktails and wines were in the $12-$14 range, so a couple of pool drinks and a couple of cocktails later and were even. Like the other posters have mentioned you get waters and coffees as well. We drink ALOT of water :)

Cheers and Happy Sailing!

We bought at $44 per day, which worked to about 4 drinks per day as most were $12 per drink. The max under the package was $13 per drink and we drank some really nice wine at dinner that never went over that $13.

My thinking is anything under $50 per day and I break even. Especially, since people are reporting an increase in drink price.

Personally, after reviewing our bill from November I think getting the package saved us money.

That being said, last year we did a Carnival out of Galveston where it rained three of the seven days and we didn't have much deck time. Luckily we didn't buy a package otherwise we would have lost money on that one.