Oasis Class Vs. Icon Class - Which will be bigger?

Overtyme

This is not to debate if bigger is necessarily better, but rather to understand what the new class will look like in terms of size and capacity?

From the press release, early information (not yet formalized) is that the Icon Class will have a passenger capacity of around 5,000.

Depending on which article you read, Oasis Class has anywhere from 5,400 - 6,000 passengers, with at least one article in the Orlando Sentinal saying that Allure has a capacity of >7,100 passengers (something which I haven't seen anywhere else).

Here's their article, if you're interested:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/florida-cruise-guide/os-the-three-largest-cruise-ships-in-the-world-take-time-out-for-a-photo-op-20161104-story.html

I wonder on one hand, while RC continues to add to their Oasis Class fleet, indicating that they are happy with the success of this model, why they would continue to build smaller ships beyond the Quantum Class, when they already have a bunch of smaller ships, older and newer? Why not try to out-do themselves?

From everything published so far it seems that Icon will be just a bit bigger than Quantum (168K) but be smaller than Oasis (225K) - this is in terms of GT. MSC's LNG fueled ship which comes out around the same time will be about 200K GT so I would have to think Icon will be in that ballpark. Passenger capacity would be a different measure since that is not necessarily proportional to GT ( you can have Oasis capacity on much smaller ship).

I guess, in the end, a lot of this also comes down to infrastructure, both in terms of drydock capacity for ship yards to build bigger than Oasis Class and port capacity to handle ships of increasing size.

It may be one thing to want to build bigger and then another thing to make that a reality.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The timing is also interesting to me. She's due to be delivered 6 years from now.

Oasis Class took six years from design through delivery, in large part due to the split hull design(never done before) and in part due the enormity of that class.

I don't believe Quantum took nearly as long.

Makes me wonder what they are planning for this class which several articles are suggesting will be around 200,000 GT (also as was suggested by Biker above).

I'm excited!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

• 5 years later...
On 12/27/2016 at 6:29 PM, Overtyme said:

Oasis Class took six years from design through delivery, in large part due to the split hull design(never done before) and in part due the enormity of that class.

"Split hull"?  Do you mean the split superstructure?  And, remember, these cruise ships are not even close to the largest ships ever built.  The largest tanker ever built could carry 6 Oasis class ships.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Looks like Utopia will be the only Oasis class ship to not hold the record of the largest ship

I'm sure they will figure out a way to mention that Utopia is the largest Oasis class ship!

3 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

"Split hull"?  Do you mean the split superstructure?  And, remember, these cruise ships are not even close to the largest ships ever built.  The largest tanker ever built could carry 6 Oasis class ships.  

Like to see a picture of that tanker.😁

1 hour ago, nelblu said:

Like to see a picture of that tanker.😁

Knock Nevis.jpgSeawise Giant, scrapped in 2010.  While her GT is just about the same as Oasis, her "deadweight" tonnage (the weight of cargo she can carry) is 560,000 tons, and an Oasis class ship weighs around 90-100,000 tons.

Edited by chengkp75
  • Like 2