1040am Flight out of Barcelona after Cruise?

irishgal432

The cruise line is offering a 1040 flight after my Barcelona cruise direct to Atlanta. Is this even possible to make if we do self disembark?

We will be in a suite and should be able to be walked off the ship as soon as it is cleared.

What is the scheduled arrival time of the ship?

The cruise line is offering a 1040 flight after my Barcelona cruise direct to Atlanta. Is this even possible to make if we do self disembark?

We will be in a suite and should be able to be walked off the ship as soon as it is cleared.

If you say it is the cruise line that is offering the flight time, it could be possible since they have more experience on that area.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

What is the scheduled arrival time of the ship?

It is the President's Cruise on Freedom of the Seas arriving at 6 am. I would assume that they would dock on schedule with the President on board. I just don't know if the ship takes longer to clear than the us ports or not.

I have done it but it was to CDG or AMS.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This is a direct which is why I want to take it without the stop in AMS.

This is the first time on a European cruise and using Choice Air. If I booked with choice air and missed it due to their docking issues they could get me on the next flight to Atlanta?

It is the President's Cruise on Freedom of the Seas arriving at 6 am. I would assume that they would dock on schedule with the President on board. I just don't know if the ship takes longer to clear than the us ports or not.

You should have no problem. The ship clears faster than in the US. I would expect self-assist people to be getting off by 6:30am.

We will be in a suite and should be able to be walked off the ship as soon as it is cleared.[/quote

Is your flight direct or non-stop? I would try for the non-stop. It's worth rushing. I wouldn't rush for a direct flight.

We will be in a suite and should be able to be walked off the ship as soon as it is cleared.[/quote

Is your flight direct or non-stop? I would try for the non-stop. It's worth rushing. I wouldn't rush for a direct flight.

Good question. A "direct" flight is not necessarily a non-stop flight. It is a marketing ploy to make some believe they are on a non-stop. You MAY stop somewhere, but not change planes. Some are even changing planes but keeping the same flight number. Just be sure what you are really getting.

A quick look on Matrix shows you are probably getting the Delta flight non-stop BCN-ATL... It's marketed as a Delta, Air France and KLM flight, but it's on DL metal...if you are absolutely off the ship by 7am, I might try it.

Good question. A "direct" flight is not necessarily a non-stop flight. It is a marketing ploy to make some believe they are on a non-stop. You MAY stop somewhere, but not change planes. Some are even changing planes but keeping the same flight number. Just be sure what you are really getting.

A quick look on Matrix shows you are probably getting the Delta flight non-stop BCN-ATL... It's marketed as a Delta, Air France and KLM flight, but it's on DL metal...if you are absolutely off the ship by 7am, I might try it.

That is the flight. It is Non-stop. I will book it then. FYI I am booking through Virgin Atlantic using my Chase visa miles since they are a partner with Delta. . It is only 60,000 miles versus booking direct with Delta at 100,000

That is the flight. It is Non-stop. I will book it then. FYI I am booking through Virgin Atlantic using my Chase visa miles since they are a partner with Delta. . It is only 60,000 miles versus booking direct with Delta at 100,000

Thanks for this emphasis. I sometimes overlook this matter when considering airlines.

Just make sure you have your ride from the pier to the airport pre-booked too. It is not that far a trip but you don't want to be standing on a cab line or looking for a bus with the clock ticking. We have a similar issue in September. 7am arrival, 10:50am flight. Ride will be pre-booked and we have FF status with our carrier so that will help some.

I wouldn't do it. We had a three hour delay getting into port due to weather and barely made our 11:00am flight from BCN-JFK. Delta ended up holding the flight for another hour to accommodate those who had booked through the cruiseline (we hadn't), but 30 of those 90 still missed the flight.

I wouldn't do it. We had a three hour delay getting into port due to weather and barely made our 11:00am flight from BCN-JFK. Delta ended up holding the flight for another hour to accommodate those who had booked through the cruiseline (we hadn't), but 30 of those 90 still missed the flight.

It's very possible that Delta's delay had nothing to do with holding the ship for cruise pax. They have other pax to accommodate and need to get the plane to its destination so those people don't miss connections, and so they can clear the gate for the next scheduled aircraft, etc. If your ship was delayed for 3 hours getting into port due to weather, the more likely scenario is that the airport also experienced weather delays, and that probably had more to do with the delayed flight, than arbitrarily holding the plane for late pax.

It's very possible that Delta's delay had nothing to do with holding the ship for cruise pax. They have other pax to accommodate and need to get the plane to its destination so those people don't miss connections, and so they can clear the gate for the next scheduled aircraft, etc. If your ship was delayed for 3 hours getting into port due to weather, the more likely scenario is that the airport also experienced weather delays, and that probably had more to do with the delayed flight, than arbitrarily holding the plane for late pax.

Well, that's what they said, and I choose to believe them. They said that they held the flight for as long as they felt they could without making people (like us) miss their connections.

Not certain what aircraft is used on that route. However 90 passengers is somewhere between 50% and 30% of the aircraft. It is not very common, bit I could see an airline delaying a flight as long as it is not impacting crew rest, and downstream aircraft commitments.

Not certain what aircraft is used on that route. However 90 passengers is somewhere between 50% and 30% of the aircraft. It is not very common, bit I could see an airline delaying a flight as long as it is not impacting crew rest, and downstream aircraft commitments.

We fly Delta all the time and a couple of times when our flight was late coming into Atlanta, we dashed to the gate for our connecting flight (both times it was after 11PM, when we arrived at the gate, we were asked if we were flying in from the city that we had flown in on.

Clearly, they were holding the flights, however on one occasion we learned that they were waiting for the pilot from our former flight. We got there before the pilot and had to wait another 15 minutes.

This is the first time on a European cruise and using Choice Air. If I booked with choice air and missed it due to their docking issues they could get me on the next flight to Atlanta?

I'm a tad confused. You said you were using Choice Air, but booked via the VS website using your Chase card & points. You ended up NOT booking with Choice?

But, I did want to answer your question about missing a Choice Air flight in case others are looking here: Choice will NOT get you on the NEXT flight to Atlanta. They will get you on the NEXT AVAILABLE set of flights to get you to Atlanta. No guarantee it will be a nonstop - you may end up with BCN-AMS/CDG-ATL or something else. And it may not be that same day; a seat has to be open on a flight for you to be accommodated, and you are in the re-assignment list based on fare paid and SkyTeam elite status.

Do not count on the airline holding the flight; there are many, many factors involved with delaying a departure. It's a very rare occurrence nowadays for a flight to be held for as long as some have said.

Edited by slidergirl

I'm a tad confused. You said you were using Choice Air, but booked via the VS website using your Chase card & points. You ended up NOT booking with Choice?

But, I did want to answer your question about missing a Choice Air flight in case others are looking here: Choice will NOT get you on the NEXT flight to Atlanta. They will get you on the NEXT AVAILABLE set of flights to get you to Atlanta. No guarantee it will be a nonstop - you may end up with BCN-AMS/CDG-ATL or something else. And it may not be that same day; a seat has to be open on a flight for you to be accommodated, and you are in the re-assignment list based on fare paid and SkyTeam elite status.

Do not count on the airline holding the flight; there are many, many factors involved with delaying a departure. It's a very rare occurrence nowadays for a flight to be held for as long as some have said.

My plan fell through booking using my Chase rewards as the mileage seats were not available so I am thinking about using Choice Air as it is 200.00 cheaper versus booking Delta Direct.

Thanks for your response. That is exactly what I was looking for. So there would not be an additional cost to be put on different flights? So they may put us on other airlines as well?

We fly Delta all the time and a couple of times when our flight was late coming into Atlanta, we dashed to the gate for our connecting flight (both times it was after 11PM,

Likely the flight you were rushing to was the last flight out to that particular destination, and Delta preferred to delay a flight rather than accommodate you overnight. I wouldn't count on the same thing for a 9am flight. ;)

I am thinking about using Choice Air

So there would not be an additional cost to be put on different flights? So they may put us on other airlines as well?

If you book through Choice Air and there is a problem with your flight, Choice Air will rebook you at no additional cost. Whether that includes putting you on another airline depends on whether the rules and restrictions attached to your particular ticket indicate that the ticket can be endorsed over to another airline. Some can, some can't. Also, once you are midway through your itinerary on travel day, there's a good chance CA will just tell you to talk to the airline, and the airlines rarely put people on other airlines these days, and when they do, it is usually only because the existing delay/cancellation is something that is considered the airline's repsponsibility, such as a mechanical problem or sick crew member, but not things that are completely out of their control, like weather.