Diamond: Are Blue Jeans Ok on non-formal nights?

cydspal

No. Jeans, shorts and t-shirts are not allowed. "Casual" evening = business casual, i.e. Dockers and collared shirt for guys, laundry list of things for gals (just not jeans). icon_wink.gif

Have a great cruise!

Suzy

NEXT --> Monarch family weekend 10/15/04 & Grand Galveston 12/11/04

Diamond Princess icon_biggrin.gif 5/1/04

Star Princess icon_biggrin.gif 10/18/03 -- Wind Star Honeymoon icon_biggrin.gif 11/14/03

Star Princess Wedding icon_biggrin.gif 9/24/03 -- Mercury icon_biggrin.gif 10/5/03

Vision of the Seas icon_smile.gif 10/28/02 -- Amsterdam icon_smile.gif 4/22/03

Sun Princess icon_biggrin.gif 5/10/02 -- Star Princess icon_biggrin.gif 6/15/02

Carnival Holiday icon_frown.gif 9/8/00

I think we are takling about dinner in the DR... No shorts or jeans...

I am not sure what goes in the Horizon court, etc...

Jacqueline

Constellation 3/20/04

HAL Westerdam 7/30/04

Tahitian Princess August 2003

Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003

Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002

Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001

Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001

Grand Princess Med 2000

On all my cruises on Princess I have never seen jeans worn at dinner time in the dining room,even on the smart casual nights...most woman at dinner wear skirts or dresses.There are other areas of the ship like the Horizon Court,Hamburger Bar, around deck or in your stateroom ect, where you can wear your jeans 24 hours a day icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

I never wear jeans in the dining room, I wear Dockers or slacks.

Scandinavian Sun

Emerald Seas

Island Princess

Seaward

Norway

Westward

Sensation

Facsination

Majesty of the Seas

Dawn Princess

Inspiration

Norwegian Dream

Norwegian Sun

Grandeur of the Seas (June 2002)

Carnival Paradise (Sept 2002)

Grand Princess (June 2003)

Disney Magic (Sept 2003)

Diamond Princess (June 2004)

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=8b0000&cdt=2004;6;12;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Diamond Princess Here We Come!

I've seen colored demin/chambray dresses and skirts, but never blue jean pants in the dining room.

Sky Princess 01/1999 Australia and New Zealand

Sky Princess 03/2000 China

Royal Princess 02/2002 South America

Golden Princess 05/2003 Med

Sapphire Princess 03/2005 Sydney to Bangkok

March 2005 - Sydney to Bangkok on the Sapphire

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2005;3;7;20;00;00&timezone=GMT+1030

I've seen jeans worn in the dining room at night. I wouldn't wear them, since khakis are more comfortable to me.

Here's the link to the section of the Princess website that tells what to bring. It says:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>When you're in port, evening dress is casual, slacks, sweaters, blouses, open-neck shirts, etc. are typically worn. Shorts, cut-off T-shirts, "torn" jeans and bare feet are not permitted in the dining room.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I admit that it's not common to see people wearing jeans in the dining room. The Princess website says they're not prohibited unless they're "torn" jeans. When answering questions, we should try to answer them correctly.

"When you're in port, evening dress is casual, slacks, sweaters, blouses, open-neck shirts, etc. are typically worn. Shorts, cut-off T-shirts, "torn" jeans and bare feet are not permitted in the dining room. For smart casual evenings, passengers dress as they would for a fine restaurant at home, with ladies in skirts/dresses/ pantsuits and gentlemen wearing shirts with collars and/or a sports jacket. On formal night ..." With repsect to blue jeans, the operative words here I believe are "when you're in port". The other dining evenings are either smart casual and formal.

geoherb has this one right on!! Princess promotional materials all say "torn" when referring to jeans. I did see jeans at dinner, in the dining room, on our trip to Alaska several years ago. Not many wore them but they were there! If you wear jeans that are neat, clean and not "torn" you will probably not be hasseled at the dining room door icon_biggrin.gif

Cruising! It's like being in the Garden of Eatin'!

I have seen jeans and shorts in the Horizon Court for dinner, but not in the dining rooms. I have a question....why bring jeans on a hot weather vacation? First, they are too bulky to pack, and second, too warm to wear. But I am into packing light, so that would be my major objection to jeans (for me, that is...not making an editorial statement here).

KATY

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

ISLAND PRINCESS - NOV. 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

CORAL PRINCESS - OCT. 2004

I never wear jeans in dining room at night and I can't remember, in 14 cruises, seeing anyone who did. However, I think neat, clean, causual pants are o.k. I really don't bother to pack skirts and dresses, just nice pant outfits. Also, I have a couple of very nice running type outfits (matching tops and bottoms) that I plan to take for causual nights. I'm not talking about the kind I would actually wear for running.For the formal nights I have a couple of dressy pants and tops that I wear and that seems to fit right in.

Lynda

I just wanted to add that I don't live in a large city but in a small city in B.C. Very few business people dress in suits for work here. Quite unlike Washington, D.C. or New York City!! In our "fine" restaurants it is quite likely that more than 95% of the diners will be wearing blue jeans. We were at the finest restaurant (finest, in my opinion) in town for Mother's Day! Everyone, mothers included, were wearing jeans!! Princess' comment that you should "wear what you would for a fine restaurant at home" is as confusing to many as HAL's "tipping not required" once was! icon_biggrin.gif

KAJOKG, cydspal is going to be cruising Alaska! No doubt that is what prompted the jeans question!

Cruising! It's like being in the Garden of Eatin'!

Hey, if my husband had his way, he'd be in pressed shorts! He wears a suit every day and we go to Black tie affairs during season, so on vacation he would love nothing more than to live in shorts. A lot of the nice restaurants here in Naples along Fifth Avenue allow dress shorts at night believe it or not!

I should think that clean jeans that are worn with a nice shirt would be OK in the dining room at night. It's not for everyone but I don't think you'd be turned away. (On our recent Regal cruise, a guy showed up in shorts and a T-shirt on formal night and they were seated at their table as usual. Princess no longer enforces the dress code.)

Song of Norway & Song of America, 1986-88; Royal Princess 2/99; Sun Princess 1/00; Ocean Princess 12/00; Royal Princess 4/01; Grand Princess 12/23/01; Sea Princess 2/9/02; Explorer of the Seas 12/21/02; Coral Princess 8/9/03; Nordic Empress 12/27/03; Regal Princess (4/20/04)

-- Caribbean Princess (12/26/04) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2004;12;26;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

-- Royal Princess (4/21/05) -- Roll Call

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0099FF&cdt=2005;04;21;12;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

I've worn them and no one even take a second glance.

Next: Coral Princess 6/04 Dawn Princess 10/04

Photos: http://community.webshots.com/user/kkorman

http://community.webshots.com/user/kkorman1

Coral Princess 4/04, (Canal-FLL-VAN), Conquest 12/03 -New Years, Norwegian Sky b2b 12/03, Carnival Pride 06/03, Star Princess 03/03, Norwegian Star 07/02,Voyager of the Seas 06/01, Ecstasy 12/00, Exporer of the Seas 11/00, Zaandam 08/00, Destiny 04/00, Nordic Empress 08/99, Rhapsody of the Seas 04/98, Sensation 12/96, Legend of the Seas 8/96, Imagination 8/95, Jubilee 3/92, Sovereign of the Seas 10/88

Beryl -- Thanks for the clarification. I can see jeans in Alaska, but still not in my suitcase. Actually I don't have any objection to jeans, even in the dining room. Some are quite attractive.

KATY

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

ISLAND PRINCESS - NOV. 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

CORAL PRINCESS - OCT. 2004

One the first night of my last cruise, a young lady wore jeans and a jean-jacket over a white t-shirt. I think it was a bit much, but she actually looked ok and it didn't bother me. Never saw jeans after that night.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dawn Princess 04/11/2004 ~ Southern Caribbean

Caribbean Princess 08/14/2004 ~ Eastern Caribbean

You are getting a lot of misinformation here. I was on the 5/15 cruise and close to half of the people were wearing jeans on nonformal nights. But people were mostly dressed to the nines for formal nights. If you wear jeans you will not be out of place. Have a great trip.

Majesty of the Seas (2)

Norwegian Dawn

Monarch of the Seas

Diamond Princess (5/04)

Glad to hear we will be okay with jeans and a nice shirt on casual nights. My husband-to-be and I will be on the Sapphire in August for our honeymoon and we are most comfortable in jeans. I wear jeans, shorts and t-shirts to work (I work in a professional office!) He wears dress clothes to work but can't wait to get into something comfortable in his free time. We want to be comfortable (not sloppy) on our vacation, so we were planning to bring nice jeans with golf shirts and loafers (for him) and nice blouses and sandals (for me). We might skip formal night since he's sick of wearing dress clothes and I don't own much of anything dressy (don't need it here in Florida).

LeeLee

Carnival Fantasy

9/6/01 RCI Sovereign of the Seas

8/1/04 Sapphire Princess Honeymoon!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;8;1;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

You'll be fine LeeLee icon_biggrin.gif I was actually on the ship, and saw it with my own I's lol. I was surprised to see so many folks in jeans from what I've read on these boards. Diamond may be different than other ships. I was expecting hardly any. But I think when you're out exploring all day most just want to relax and enjoy a nice meal. We're in the same situation, hubby wears a suit all week for work. Didn't do formal but like I mentioned most folks were in suits and black dresses. I wonder why some folks find it so important as to tell others how to dress on their vacation? Have a great time.

Majesty of the Seas (2)

Norwegian Dawn

Monarch of the Seas

Diamond Princess Alaska

Grand Princess 9/04

Archived