Finding family whilst on board

Maple30

Hi,

Has anyone got any tips for finding each other whilst on board, apart from the usual meet at such and such a time? If I'm at the gym and my husband's at a bar (naturally) and we need to communicate, any suggestions? We thought of a walkie talkie, but was wondering if there's any other modern way of communicating. Our phones won't work whilst on board.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi,

Has anyone got any tips for finding each other whilst on board, apart from the usual meet at such and such a time? If I'm at the gym and my husband's at a bar (naturally) and we need to communicate, any suggestions? We thought of a walkie talkie, but was wondering if there's any other modern way of communicating. Our phones won't work whilst on board.

Thanks in advance :)

You can leave messages on the stateroom phone.

You could always physically go find him. Works for us. Just let one another know where you plan to be prior to setting out in the morning. If he's not where he said he would be, leave a note or voicemail in the cabin.

I thought of that except for this:

I think he means that the cel network won't work on board, so telephone calls can't be made. With Royal IQ, your phone connects to the ship wifi (no charge for this) however, there is a small fee if you want to use the text feature.

Edit: It's only available on Quantum, Anthem, Ovation and Harmony.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/royal-iq/id916865548?mt=8

Edited by rusty nut

I think he means that the cel network won't work on board, so telephone calls can't be made. With Royal IQ, your phone connects to the ship wifi (no charge for this) however, there is a small fee if you want to use the text feature.

Edit: It's only available on Quantum, Anthem, Ovation and Harmony.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/royal-iq/id916865548?mt=8

Makes sense, I just took the OP's comment to mean they won't be using their phones at all once onboard. Could be like you say, they won't use cellular.

Is it possible thru voom. The new internet access that RCCL is advertising?? If both parties have it?

Yes, if both parties have smartphones and buy VOOM service, they can use an internet based texting program.

When we went once with friends we had an erasable sign to hang on the door to inform where we were. Our last cruise, I found DH hung out in various places. If I didn't see him on the pool deck, I went by the Starbucks on the promenade. Not there? Try the Schooner bar. After a while, you know where your loved one is during different times of day. Of course, after 32 years, it is easy to know your partner's moves. I think if you have several cabins, the phone message is good or a dry erase board on your door.

Makes sense, I just took the OP's comment to mean they won't be using their phones at all once onboard. Could be like you say, they won't use cellular.

Thanks for all the great information. Our phone plans are with Aldi, which we're very happy with here in Australia, but they won't work overseas. We'll stick to prearranged plans or notes/phone messages in the staterooms.

Thanks for all the great information. Our phone plans are with Aldi, which we're very happy with here in Australia, but they won't work overseas. We'll stick to prearranged plans or notes/phone messages in the staterooms.

Do you have WiFi on your phones? If so, you can use internet messaging as noted above.

Lordy...you don't need texting or Wi-fi...just TALK to each other! Tell each other your plans for the day! It's really quite simple! If your plans change, you will have told each other where you are likely to be...so you can find each other! You know you'll eat together...right? So, if all else fails, meet in the dining room!

You are WAY overthinking this. Honestly.

Loved the eraser boards saying meet you at such and such time in the Windjammer or at the pool.

I think I would go with this. Get some at the dollar store, and if they're not magnetic buy some magnetic strips and stick those on.

Of course, maybe they'll update Royal IQ with a messaging feature by the time we go on Harmony in August. that would be nice. Probably won't happen, but it would be nice.

Before the advent of cell phones, text messaging and wifi on board ships, this is we did and still do to a certain.

We have a general discussion of our plans for the day. Some together, some seperate. If our individual plans we leave a note in the cabin, or use a house phone to call the cabin and leave a voice message.

Barring that my wife nows that I am a creature of habit, so unless I told her earlier in the day that I am doing such and such, she can usually track me down to a lounge where I will be reading while partaking a glass of wine.